Weird driving issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird driving issues

Truck has been running fine until recently I noticed that the squeal sound from my wastegate (truck is deleted and running open downpipe so it's very audible) wasn't happening nearly as often as before.

I noticed that it seems to sit at about 10psi at part throttle now unless I give her a little more gas then it goes up like normal to about 30-32psi if I hit it hard. It seems to be staying in higher gears now instead of downshifting nearly as much as it used to, i.e. at 60 in 6th when I hit the gas less than about half throttle it will lug it in 6th to accelerate instead of dropping to 5th like it did before. It feels weird to me because I'm used to it dropping gears and hauling a$$ when I hit the throttle instead of gradually accelerating. I have noticed a more black smoke lately when I hit it pretty hard but I attributed that to me spooling it up a little more then necessary to get it to downshift and go like I'm used to and it's been colder like mid 30's outside.

No codes of any kind, no irregularities other then what was mentioned above. If I put the pedal to the floor it will still blow the tires off her and get on down the road with a quickness!

UPDATE:

Looks to be a pre-turbo exhaust leak of some kind and a pretty big leak at that. The entire passenger side of my engine bay is covered in soot so there has to be something loose...now to try and clean up all that soot and then figure out where it's coming from... any suggestions or anyone have similar issues in the past?

Last edited by Axis2011KR; 02-03-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 AM

Well I caved and took it to the dealership, supposed crack on the egr tube somewhere. I'll post up pics tonight because I told them to save the broken part(s) so I could confirm what really went wrong. They are trying to pull the no warranty card on me...
Old 02-10-2014, 04:37 AM
Premium Member

Can u just pull the egr out? Delete the whole thing? Why take it to the dealer and pay if you are dpf deleted?, sounds like ur engine wants to spit it out!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis2011KR View Post
They are trying to pull the no warranty card on me...
Do you think they should fix it under warranty?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter69 View Post
Can u just pull the egr out? Delete the whole thing? Why take it to the dealer and pay if you are dpf deleted?, sounds like ur engine wants to spit it out!
I could have just fully deleted the EGR but my truck was already in the shop so I either had to eat the assessment fee of $90 + the time to go pick it up and take it to another shop, order the delete which runs about $160, then pay another shop to install it because I don't have the time right now. I would have been out more money then just having them replace the cracked pipe for $375 total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrix View Post
Do you think they should fix it under warranty?
I think they absolutely should have considering I've never tampered with my EGR in any way other then turning it off with my tuner. That pipe shouldn't be cracked at random and/or the gasket shouldn't have been leaking, and since it's an engine part (100k powerstroke warranty) they should have covered it. I'm at 54K.

Regardless at this point, the issue is resolved and the truck is running like a champ again.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM

30-32 psi?? Is that typical of stock? The MOST I have ever seen since installing a monitor is 21-22 psi on my 2014 (and approximately that much before when looking at the stock gauge). That said, I've been wondering if I have a leak somewhere due to various noise and performance issues. I only have 3000 on the odometer right now, and the dealership kind of shrugged it off. I will have them look it over again when I go in for service in a few thousand.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis2011KR View Post
I could have just fully deleted the EGR but my truck was already in the shop so I either had to eat the assessment fee of $90 + the time to go pick it up and take it to another shop, order the delete which runs about $160, then pay another shop to install it because I don't have the time right now. I would have been out more money then just having them replace the cracked pipe for $375 total.

I think they absolutely should have considering I've never tampered with my EGR in any way other then turning it off with my tuner. That pipe shouldn't be cracked at random and/or the gasket shouldn't have been leaking, and since it's an engine part (100k powerstroke warranty) they should have covered it. I'm at 54K.

Regardless at this point, the issue is resolved and the truck is running like a champ again.
Got it, makes sense.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siver_pilate View Post
30-32 psi?? Is that typical of stock? The MOST I have ever seen since installing a monitor is 21-22 psi on my 2014 (and approximately that much before when looking at the stock gauge). That said, I've been wondering if I have a leak somewhere due to various noise and performance issues. I only have 3000 on the odometer right now, and the dealership kind of shrugged it off. I will have them look it over again when I go in for service in a few thousand.
His truck is deleted, not stock. My psi is similar to yours, also as stock.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrix View Post
His truck is deleted, not stock. My psi is similar to yours, also as stock.
^^This. Yeah stock should be 20-22ish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.