2013 F350 6.7L dying while driving (lengthy description) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2013 F350 6.7L dying while driving (lengthy description)

All,

2013 F350 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke
19,700 miles
<800 hours
<270 hours idle time

I purchased a new 2013 F350 with the 6.7L Powerstroke last year in Apr/May. We started having problems with it in August. The problem being that the truck will just die while you're driving down the road.

It only happens when:
1) The engine is warm
2) The engine starts to get lugged down (when climbing a hill) with or without a load on the truck
3) 3-5 mins after the Cleaning Exhaust message pops up on the screen.

As I'm driving the truck will just cutout and die, battery light comes on because the engine is dead and I'm still rolling down the highway at speed. When the truck cuts out it's like the 90's models did when the speed limiter kicked in, but it just shakes once and dies.

Cleaning Exhaust message pops up for 5-10 seconds. Then, if I am climbing a hill or getting on a ramp for the interstate it just dies. The speed doesn't matter as I have been climbing a hill pulling my camper in the mountains going about 35-40mph, or I've been going 80mph down the interstate with the cruise control on when I get up the hill about 3/4 of the way it seems like its trying to grab another gear or kick in the turbo when it just dies, same on a ramp its happened at 40, 45, 50, 60 etc. It has only ever happened when the engine is lugged down going up a hill or getting on an on-ramp onto the interstate. It has never happened in any other situation.

I had the entire fuel system replaced in August (on my nickel) because Ford said it was bad fuel, but a week later, in September, the problem started again. I've had it in and out of the shop since then.

Once the engine dies I just pull it into neutral, switch the key off and on, start it back up and keep going down the road. I haven't even stopped the last half dozen times it's happened. Only two or three times has the Engine light lit up after, every time it just dies and I start it right back up.

Messages in the computer keep saying High or Low Fuel Pressure problem, but I just replaced (on warranty this time) both of the fuel pumps. Anyone else had the same or similar problems with theirs?

Ford keeps saying bad fuel, but our company has new & old Ford's, Chevy's, Dodges. My truck seems to be the only problem child in the bunch! But when it runs, it really runs! No complaints from me until I see that Cleaning Exhaust message!

I know this was a length message, so thanks in advance for any advice/info you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yes, have the tsb performed for removing the left side cylinder head and replacing the exhaust valves.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...sb13-05-17.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to poormanscat For This Useful Post:
LongTimeFordOwner (01-21-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You could have a bad pyro sensor on the DPF. There is a youtube video on it by a Ford Diesel Tech.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can't look at the TSB, it says access denied. Is there any other way to look at it? I am having the exact same problem as the OP but it is on my 2011 that it is happening too.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 AM

Read through this thread...
2011-2013 F-Super Duty - 6.7L Diesel Engine - Runs Rough/Misfire During Exhaust Regen - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013, 6.7l, diesel, dying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.