6.7 High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure...

I am new to this forum and just spent an hour reading others that have experienced what I am going through.
I run a landscaping business that has been 99% Ford, except for my early days in the 80's. Definitely a loyal customer even with problems along the way. Ford has been good to me and has dropped the ball on a few occasions.
We had a new engine put in our 2011 F350 King Ranch because of low power and this was covered under warranty, no problem. We had same symptoms with our 2011 F550 so we towed to dealer Sept 9, expecting same treatment as we constantly hear that they are having issues with that 6.7L.
The truck sits in the dealership for 5 days while they wait on a compression testing tools that got misplaced, "borrowing one from another dealer". Long story shorter, the truck finally got diagnosed the following week and found metal filings throughout engine. They wanted service records. The truck has 64K on it. I took them 5 oil change receipts and first thing service advisor says is "where are the other 7?" His defensive attitude set me off as I immediately saw that warranty claim was going to be a problem. He says that we have 2112 hrs on computer with 829 of them idling so we should have 12 oil changes. I said to him that we change the oil etc based on the on-board computer.
Because one of the oil changes was when they replaced the turbo, he tried to disregard that one. To the engine, new oil is new oil, regardless if it was only 4700 kms after the last one.
So the cab has to be removed in order for them to diagnose any issues, engine gets torn apart. We are now into this about 3 weeks now and they finally got back to me to tell me the high pressure fuel pump has failed "due to water in the system". Then I got word Oct 10, No warranty! Funny, I suspected that was going to be the answer before they even opened the hood 4 weeks ago!
Here is my issue, will they stand behind their High Pressure Fuel Pump and tell me that it is bulletproof and that it was 100% because of the water, and that they never fail without water? We always buy our fuel at Petro Canada (only card given to employees). We have never had a WIF light come on, on any of our fleet, we put diesel conditioning fluid in during the winter months etc. What came first the chicken or the egg? If the pump failed, there would be metal throughout my engine too. It just seems like the water thing is way too easy a scape goat for them.
From looking in the cut window washer fluid container with my fuel filters contents in it, amounted to the volume the size of your baby finger. There is no way that this small amount should be responsible for taking out my engine! Lets face it, we all know there is water in some small portions in our fuel.
Ford knows that if this pump has this low water tolerance then it should have a better barrier between what we put in the tank and the pump. So if they believe its this small amount of water, then their filters, sensors and computer all failed.
The retail quote for this repair is $22,747.93 with tax. The dealer will knock it down to $17,793.46.
I contacted Customer Service down in Florida and was told that there was nothing they could do.
My truck lays in 100 pieces, cab in the air, talk about being strong armed into an expensive repair bill.
They keep bringing up the oil changes, is it the oil or fuel guys? I understand that the computer actually samples the oil, so it should have nothing to do with # of km's or hrs, it has to do with the quality of the oil and we change it as it indicates us to do so.
I call this HORSESH*T!
Stand behind your loyal customer guys, and do the right thing!
You know if I was a Dodge or GM high executive, after acknowledging Ford's fuel problems, I would be directing my engineers to build me a filtration system so that I could stand up to the Ford guys like me and say, "Buy our truck and you will never have that problem again!"
I would like to hear from forum members here what they think. I didn't trash other brands, so please don't do it here. I just want some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This makes me wanna puke.
So sorry.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This issue concerns me the most. I am in the industry and it appears the HPFP on the VWs I work on is the same pump as on my (our) Fords. I have seen some issues as well. Not every single car needs a fuel system but we have done an alarming amount. I have seen VW step up even at 140k and foot the bill for the new fuel system. So Im wondering why Ford doesnt.....We have covered them when the customer fills with gasoline. I have seen algee and rust in a fuel filter, notified VW and its still covered.
Knowing what can transpire I have started keeping fuel receipts and since it was new I have changed the oil 3 times. I'm only at 9k mi right now. This issue and see how Ford is handling it is gut wrenching. We have a Water seperator, does this NOT do its job?
It just makes me sick......I think some dealers and techs are more respectable and side with the customer. I hope I find one soon becuase it appears my local dealer will do everything they can to say its not waranty. At least thats the feeling I have so far.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bad presentation to Ford!

I find out yesterday that my Ford dealer only presented 4 oil change receipts instead of the five I gave him and the water was less than I thought too. Now for the uphill battle with Ford!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 PM

from the experience we have had at work with our fleet of F550s I would offer the following suggestions.
1) request a copy of the lab results where they condemed the fuel from your engine. Request a written signed and dated statement from the dealership stating when the fuel sample was pulled, by who, and if it was taken before or after the final filter.
2) have another sample pulled and sent to an independent lab for testing, provide the results to the dealership, event if its NOT in your favor.
3) request a formal written failure analysis of the engine.
If your original post has all available info in it... I would venture to question how metal in the high pressure fuel system failed the engine. Have both cylinder heads been removed? Do the cylinder heads have all valves intact and show no signs of cracking?
Ask the service manager that questioned the oil change interval to show you the page in your owners manual where if gives a mileage number for oil changes. My 2011 C&C owners manual clearly states to use the on board oil life monitoring system and gives no mileage reccomendations. They can see the OLM system history if they download the ECU. Most likely the service advisor has no clue what hes talking about and simply blowing some of that 3K mile OCI smoke.
Documentation is key in these circumstances. Do your due diligence, do NOT depend on the servicing dealer or Ford to do it for you. Kicking screaming and cussing will get you nowhere, so try and avoid that.
Good luck and let us know as things progress.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

DO NOT BUY THE 6.7 2012 F350!!! The high pressure fuel pump is very likely to fail!! Ford WILL NOT WARRANTY THIS WORK!!! Our 2012 has been sitting in a Ford dealership since 10/7/13 after stalling along the highway for no apparent reason. First it was contaminated fuel(wasn't), then improper maintenance(fuel filters not changed regularly)causing catastrophic failure of high pressure fuel pump. This truck has 55,000 miles on it!! They want $10,000 to repair. We have two of these trucks and will be getting rid of them as fast as we can.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update from dealer...

This only gets better as time goes on.
I gave the dealer the go ahead with the repair at $15754 plus tax and will continue to pursue Ford.
Yesterday, I go to the dealer for oil, fuel samples, all filters etc. We go back to the bay, the fuel container has been kicked over. Luckily I remember the tech showing me another sample sitting up in a container on the hoist. They wouldn't give me the fuel pump as it was still attached to the motor and "it has to be sent back with the engine to get the core charge back". The engine has arrived and is sitting in a crate behind the truck. The service manager has agreed with me that it was a minuscule amount of water.
Today I get a text message from their service advisor stating that they have made a mistake. They thought that the long block came with injectors, HPFP and EGR, but it didn't, and it would be better at this point to buy a complete motor. Total repair bill now is $26,808 plus tax.
I phoned Ford in Florida again and she has confirmed that only 4 oil changes were sent to them.
Here's the kicker, my dealer claims that Ford makes the call on the contaminated fuel and that they provide the info to them. Ford says its up to the dealer to make the call on the fuel. She tells me that the dealer said it failed because of contaminated fuel. There was presence of water and metal filings in it. The metal filings are from the pump coming apart and the Mgr has agreed that there was very little water in it.
She then tells me to get the dealer to resubmit the claim and they will reconsider it. I say, why would I trust them to do it right the second time, if they can't do it right once?
I am in talks with another dealer that may look at it if I bring everything to them.
I worry that this dealer will create some bogus bill for the dismantle and for the 5 weeks it has tied up their hoist.
Any thoughts on this from this forum? Am i right to be this upset?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:48 PM

That just sucks, good luck to you!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:06 PM

26K??? Not sure how you are going to get out of it, but it really sounds like you have a dealership thats trying to take you to the cleaners. There is NO WAY that engine is worth 26K installed.
I'd box the truck up and send it to destroked before I gave them any money.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
26K??? Not sure how you are going to get out of it, but it really sounds like you have a dealership thats trying to take you to the cleaners. There is NO WAY that engine is worth 26K installed.
I'd box the truck up and send it to destroked before I gave them any money.
Great point.... Definitely something I would look into...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.