2013 Reliability? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2013 Reliability?

I am considering getting rid of four '08-09 F-450's due to the fact that we cannot keep these things out of the shop. Engines, trannys, clutches, fuel system issues, and now today a possible harness issue.

We also have two '13 SCR units that have been rock solid so far, both only have around 25,000 kms.

Is there any scary issues that I havent come across yet with this model of truck? I read a pile of turbo issues, but it appears mostly for the '11 model year. Are turbos still a concern? Is there anything else?

They are cab/chassis with a mechanics service body installed, V-mac under hood compressors, in Alberta (winter conditions), all trucks will be un-modified and stay that way.

Picture of one of the new trucks:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's a damn nice rig man!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaraiderman View Post
That's a damn nice rig man!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks, we try to look after our stuff the best we can. This is why it is so frustrating to have cronic failures on these 5 year old units.

The new trucks are equipped really really well. They're pretty badass overall, way nicer than the unit I drove back in '02 when I was sitting in the driver seat.

V-Mac underhood compressors (the trucks have more CFM available than the shop does!), Used oil evacuation systems (no messy pails to transport), cranes, Geo-Trac vehicle tracking/monitoring/Navigation, etc.

Problem is our trucks look like pee-ons compared to some of the oil field rigs around here
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Down here in Texas we're still seeing a few turbo problems on 2012 engines but 99% of them are related to guys running Race tuners/programmers. The 2013 engines have been virtually bullet-proof, mainly because of the crack-down by the EPA on Race tuners. The "Street Tuners" aren't causing any turbo problems so far.

NOX sensors continue to be a crap-shoot.

From a maintenance stand point, the best things you can do to give your 6.7s a long and healthy life are to keep your oil changed (I'd never go over 4,000 miles) and change those fuel filters every 10,000 miles (your injectors will thank you).
Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckmaniac View Post
Down here in Texas we're still seeing a few turbo problems on 2012 engines but 99% of them are related to guys running Race tuners/programmers. The 2013 engines have been virtually bullet-proof, mainly because of the crack-down by the EPA on Race tuners. The "Street Tuners" aren't causing any turbo problems so far.

NOX sensors continue to be a crap-shoot.

From a maintenance stand point, the best things you can do to give your 6.7s a long and healthy life are to keep your oil changed (I'd never go over 4,000 miles) and change those fuel filters every 10,000 miles (your injectors will thank you).
I appreciate the input, does anyone else have anymore to add? What are some of the top mileage units known sitting at right now, and what issues have been seen?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 AM

We havent been as lucky as TruckManiac.
We ahve 13 units, all F550 2x4, ranging from 2011 thru 2013. Of the 13, I think 9 have had new engines. 11 have had atleast one turbo not related to the engine failures, many have had multiple turbo failures. We have lost two HP fuel systems, 2 throttle valve actuators, 13 radiators, all have had multiple charge air line failures, one had had a complete exhaust system replaced at 15K miles due to being clogged beyond repair. Jury is still out on that one, apparently it had never called for a "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" cycle.
These trucks are equipped with service beds and are loaded to approx. 18500-19000 lbs every day. They are de-tuned to 300 hp, and have the speed limiters set to 81 mph. All service and maintnence work is done by Ford dealerships.
If you are up north, I doubt you will have the repeated turbo issues we have had, we never lose one in the winter time, its always when the ambient air temperature is high.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
We havent been as lucky as TruckManiac.
We ahve 13 units, all F550 2x4, ranging from 2011 thru 2013. Of the 13, I think 9 have had new engines. 11 have had atleast one turbo not related to the engine failures, many have had multiple turbo failures. We have lost two HP fuel systems, 2 throttle valve actuators, 13 radiators, all have had multiple charge air line failures, one had had a complete exhaust system replaced at 15K miles due to being clogged beyond repair. Jury is still out on that one, apparently it had never called for a "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" cycle.
These trucks are equipped with service beds and are loaded to approx. 18500-19000 lbs every day. They are de-tuned to 300 hp, and have the speed limiters set to 81 mph. All service and maintnence work is done by Ford dealerships.
If you are up north, I doubt you will have the repeated turbo issues we have had, we never lose one in the winter time, its always when the ambient air temperature is high.
Color me skeptical. That failure rate is off the charts. Not calling you a liar - perhaps you are being mislead? 9 of 13 with new engines? Really?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 PM

wish I was.
One thing to keep in mind, we received the first 6 trucks in april-may of 2010 and put them to work immediately. These were "early release" trucks.
valve failures started happening around the 30K mile mark. local dealers were panicing an almost unwilling to touch them without a ford rep on site. Of the first 6, 3 were partially disassembled at the dealership with reps on site, the other 3 were replaced and the cores were shipped somewhere for failure analysis. Unfortunately, several of the replacement engines also had bad valves in them! ( this was before Ford was able to pinpoint the source of the valve failures.)
Turbos, its just a P.O.S. turbo! The C&C turbo is marginal at best, they do NOT handle high ambient temps and high loads together. We have one that just left the shop last week that wrecked a turbo.
No doubt, our higher than normal failure rate is attributed to getting the initial 6 trucks before dealerships even had them. but its the truth.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
swiseuf

Color me skeptical. That failure rate is off the charts. Not calling you a liar - perhaps you are being mislead? 9 of 13 with new engines? Really?
fORD has no record of any dealer in Texas or anywhere else replacing this number of 6.7 engines. Poormanscat has refused several requests to provide the name of the dealer or the VIN of any of the trucks involved. You may draw your own conclusion.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post
fORD has no record of any dealer in Texas or anywhere else replacing this number of 6.7 engines. Poormanscat has refused several requests to provide the name of the dealer or the VIN of any of the trucks involved. You may draw your own conclusion.
ODH, although I drive one of these trucks, I do not own any of them and am NOT putting VIN #s on a public forum. You want me to sent them directly to you, not a problem simply post your business card with e-mail on here, I'll gladly send the VIN's to your Ford Email.
If you had half the connections you claim to have, this wouldnt be an issue as you would be well aware of these failures. In reality, I believe you to be nothing more than a kid who has read a few Truck Magazines and decided you are an expert on the matter.
Believe me, dont believe me, thats your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.