2011 6.7 blown - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 6.7 blown

I have been lurking on these forums for a while, and thinking 'glad it's not my truck'. Well, I'm here to say that last night I blew my 6.7. It has 36,600 easy miles on it, and it's 100% stock.

On my way home last night towing an empty 900 pound small trailer, merging onto the highway with moderate to heavy (but not full) throttle, I hear a ticking develop - Like a valve out of adjustment. I slow down, and the sound escalates into a loud rap and I lose some power. Limp off the next exit and shut down. Oil leaking from under the truck and sprayed all over everything.

If I had a guess, something in the valve train let go and caused an interference in one of the cylinders, which caused a rod or piston to break. I am not sure where the oil is leaking from, but assuming there is a hole punched somewhere. What a nightmare.

It had a new radiator at 18K. Two weeks ago I blew two injectors out of the head on cyl #4 and 5. Ford fixed, and also changed the oil and filter as well as both fuel filters 500 miles ago. Ford roadside towed the truck to Metro Ford this morning. I am waiting on an update, but guessing a new motor is in my future.

I would have to think that a regional service manager - if there is such a person, would want to come take a look at this motor. If I were Ford, I'd be very interested. It's not a Chassis Cab - it's a Crew Cab. I have read about the issues with the detuned versions in the 450/550.

I have not seen many of you on these forums with this type of major failure on this motor.

I have to say I'm a bit upset about spending 60K for a truck and having these problems. I hope Ford stands by this truck.

It's an F350 with a January 2011 build date.

Here is a quick video clip of the truck running when I pulled off the road: 2011 Ford F350 with blown 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel - YouTube

Last edited by aquasport17; 09-16-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 AM

holy jesus that sounds like crap....I hope they do cover that and should
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
keep us posted im interested as well
Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, note the oil covered undercarriage and puddle of oil on the pavement. What a mess. I'm currently waiting for an available tech to look at it, but doesn't look like it will get in the bay today.

On a side note, Metro Ford claims the injector clip replacement work which was done two weeks ago under warranty at a different Ford dealer, doesn't show up in the computer. I had to have them fax it, which was a painful process in itself.

I'll certainly be keeping this thread updated with new info as I have it.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sub'd for updates
Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wink Update

According to my wishy-washy service adviser, Ford has authorized a long block replacement which has been ordered, and should arrive Thursday.

When I asked him what happened to the motor, he referenced the recent injector clip replacement, and said "when the injector blew out it bent something." Now, I find this hard to believe for many reasons - namely the fact that immediately after the injector clips were replaced - and I mean IMMEDIATELY - I drove the truck 800 miles from MA to NC towing a small trailer with no problems at all, and then came back another 800 miles. It wasn't until the last 100 miles of the trip that it let go. Keep in mind that all 8 injectors are perfectly fine in that video link above. There is no smell of diesel, and no compression sound like there was when the injector came out two weeks earlier. Only oil all over the place.

Maybe I am crazy - but tell me what about an injector coming out of the head would eventually (1500 mile later) lead to what sounds like a broken rod, piston, valve? Broken enough to send something through the block and spew oil.

The other thing I don't get - a lot of us here are gear heads - at least to an extent. A guy like me wants to know a little bit more than the average person when it comes to things like this. I know the tech isn't making any money if he's on the phone explaining to me what happened, but it would certainly be nice to chat with him quick and get some answers.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I am not even sure the tech knows. It sounded to me like they took a look, told the Ford rep what it sounded like, and that there was oil leaking, and Ford said yep, order a long block. And instead of the tech tearing down the motor, he just pulls and replaces and someone else figures out what happened.

Someone at Ford wants to know what happened right? I know they keep this stuff hush hush, but I wanna talk to the guy who knows what happened to it. It EATS me not to know. Maybe I will be lucky and one of you guys was the tech working on it

Anyone know what the process is for things like this? Does a regional tech/engineer come out and take a look? Or does this motor just head back to the scrap bench to be rebuilt without any analysis? Also, maybe someone can tell me if I am getting a re-manufactured motor, or a new one.

This is a motor that was perfectly maintained from the start, never driven over 75 mph for more than a minute, and never towed more than a few thousand pounds every once in a blue moon.

Ok, end of rant. Will update as I have new info.

Oh - the adviser claims I don't get a rental car unless I have ESP. I call BS. He's escalating it to someone to try and get me a rental.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquasport17 View Post
According to my wishy-washy service adviser, Ford has authorized a long block replacement which has been ordered, and should arrive Thursday.

When I asked him what happened to the motor, he referenced the recent injector clip replacement, and said "when the injector blew out it bent something." Now, I find this hard to believe for many reasons - namely the fact that immediately after the injector clips were replaced - and I mean IMMEDIATELY - I drove the truck 800 miles from MA to NC towing a small trailer with no problems at all, and then came back another 800 miles. It wasn't until the last 100 miles of the trip that it let go. Keep in mind that all 8 injectors are perfectly fine in that video link above. There is no smell of diesel, and no compression sound like there was when the injector came out two weeks earlier. Only oil all over the place.

Maybe I am crazy - but tell me what about an injector coming out of the head would eventually (1500 mile later) lead to what sounds like a broken rod, piston, valve? Broken enough to send something through the block and spew oil.

The other thing I don't get - a lot of us here are gear heads - at least to an extent. A guy like me wants to know a little bit more than the average person when it comes to things like this. I know the tech isn't making any money if he's on the phone explaining to me what happened, but it would certainly be nice to chat with him quick and get some answers.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I am not even sure the tech knows. It sounded to me like they took a look, told the Ford rep what it sounded like, and that there was oil leaking, and Ford said yep, order a long block. And instead of the tech tearing down the motor, he just pulls and replaces and someone else figures out what happened.

Someone at Ford wants to know what happened right? I know they keep this stuff hush hush, but I wanna talk to the guy who knows what happened to it. It EATS me not to know. Maybe I will be lucky and one of you guys was the tech working on it

Anyone know what the process is for things like this? Does a regional tech/engineer come out and take a look? Or does this motor just head back to the scrap bench to be rebuilt without any analysis? Also, maybe someone can tell me if I am getting a re-manufactured motor, or a new one.

This is a motor that was perfectly maintained from the start, never driven over 75 mph for more than a minute, and never towed more than a few thousand pounds every once in a blue moon.

Ok, end of rant. Will update as I have new info.

Oh - the adviser claims I don't get a rental car unless I have ESP. I call BS. He's escalating it to someone to try and get me a rental.

Jeff
Reman hell! 60K and it only has 36k miles on it. I would demand a brand new one. That's some Bullchit! And if they were any kind of a dealer they wouldnt even think twice about giving you a car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaraiderman View Post
Reman hell! 60K and it only has 36k miles on it. I would demand a brand new one. That's some Bullchit! And if they were any kind of a dealer they wouldnt even think twice about giving you a car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well, I don't THINK I'm getting a re-manufactured motor. But who knows. Maybe someone here does. I thought I read on the forums someplace that Ford does NOT use remans for these replacements.

I'd also like to know if the motor will have the updates and enhancements that the current production motors have. Is there a way to tell a year on it?

I'm certainly curious what happens with the mileage, engine hours, etc. I would guess the miles stay the same. Can the hours be reset?

If I thought Ford would buy it back I would ask - I am pretty sure that would be a long battle.

My decisions are now focused on my next move: Trade it for a 13 or 14, trade it for a competitive brand, or drive it until the 5/100 is up.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the valve failures were not limited to the c&C trucks. pickups had the same sub-par components, just typically lighter duty cycle so it takes a little longer to show up. Without actually seeing the engine, I would bet $2.00 it started with an exhaust valve failure.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
My truck did exactly what yours did 2 months ago. Same sound, same chain of events in the last few seconds. Ford said tear down, and tech found where valve dropped and piston was hit. They sent NEW long block and installed. That was 2500 miles ago. Just dropped factory oil out today and changed filter. For what its worth, my old engine sat in crate at dealer for a month. My friend in parts said Ford didnt want it back, that it was up to the dealer to do whatever. Didnt quite understand that part, but it wasnt my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.