6.7 turbo failure synopsis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 turbo failure synopsis

Not trying to stir the pot, I'm just doing a little info gathering as I'm strongly considering a 6.7 at some time in the future. If you've had a turbo failure on your rig, could you post the year (and job # if you know it) and model/configuration (IE- F350, F450, F550 and if it was a pickup or cab/chassis). Also it would be helpful to know if the vehicle was stock or modified, if modified please list the mods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

We have assumed that all customers who have lost a turbo have been tuned and for the most part the customers have confirmed that information. We have yet to be called on a turbo that failed on a "stock" truck.

I hope this helps

Last edited by cfd_shop; 09-11-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 PM

CFD SHOP IS AT IT AGAIN! You really don't care about what the OP has posted do you?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
CFD SHOP IS AT IT AGAIN! You really don't care about what the OP has posted do you?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that failed to see the relevance of that post!

I guess it would be helpful as well to know how many trucks HAVEN'T had a turbo failure, but there is already at least one thread for that topic.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Not trying to stir the pot, I'm just doing a little info gathering as I'm strongly considering a 6.7 at some time in the future. If you've had a turbo failure on your rig, could you post the year (and job # if you know it) and model/configuration (IE- F350, F450, F550 and if it was a pickup or cab/chassis). Also it would be helpful to know if the vehicle was stock or modified, if modified please list the mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
We just answered the OP's question here. Plain and simple
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfd_shop View Post
We just answered the OP's question here. Plain and simple
No, you didn't really. You replied based on your assumptions that most of your customers had lost turbos because they had modified their trucks... then you edited your post and now it almost answers the question. Re-read my original post, my questions were:

Has the turbo on your 6.7L failed?
If it has, was it modified?
If it has, please list the year and model

You have said that "most" of your customers with turbo failures have had modified trucks... ok. Is that 4 trucks? 400? 4,000? Is the year/model information even available?
And what do you mean by
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfd_shop View Post
We have yet to be called on a turbo that failed on a "stock" truck.
"Stock"? OK how about this for clarification- by stock I'm referring to motor modifications... most specifically tunes and/or deletes that bump the power levels up from stock.

Not that it matters much anyway because of all the threads I've gone through on this forum alone about turbo failures, not one person has chimed in so far.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Nice Edit CFD. I really don't think you have a chance of making it much longer on here.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Mine is a 2011 F550 chassis w/ 84,000 miles on it & is completely stock. It had a turbo failure at 20k. Then again at 30k. Then it had a reprogram that was going to correct the issue. The truck worked ok until 65k when it broke the exhaust valve & destroyed the engine. They installed a complete engine in it with a new turbo again. Well at 83k the turbo let loose again. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. On their test drive, the bottom end of the engine failed. So back again and this time they installed a new short block.

I was alarmed this last time since they said they found sludge in the oil pan? The truck had around 15,000 miles on it since replacement and had 2 services in that time. It was due for it's next service when the turbo failed. We use Motorcraft 10w30 oil & filters from the dealer. They couldn't come up with an explanation as to why the sludge build up in 4 1/2 months of service.

My dealer says that they have literally no problems with the pick ups. The cab & chassis models have different exhaust, heads & turbo configerations as well as programing.

I don't know what the next problem will be but i do know that it will have someone elses name on the title when it happens....
Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Ed, thanks for your input... that's quite the horror story! The problems seem to be mostly with the C&C trucks and the early 11 models.... which it sounds like yours is both.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Ed, thanks for your input... that's quite the horror story! The problems seem to be mostly with the C&C trucks and the early 11 models.... which it sounds like yours is both.
I just got my truck back from the dealership for scheduled maintenance (60k mile service) And it came back with a shiny new turbo. I will give you a link to my thread when I write it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cfd_shop is into men, confederate blows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.