2012 F250SDw/6.7L Turbo Diesel Engine Issue - Need Help !!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 2012 F250SDw/6.7L Turbo Diesel Engine Issue - Need Help !!!

Hey first time posting ( kinda...had it in the wrong spot on the forum...lol ) - also first time owning a 2012 Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty w/6.7L Turbo Diesel...and I need help !

The truck is not even a year old yet and I just turned 19k on the odometer and have had an intermittent issue happen about 8ish times that doesn't throw an error code to the computer and was not reproducible at the dealership test drive so they think I'm nuts !...here are the symptoms, driving a constant speed and then suddenly it appears like the engine starts missing a beat, but rapidly and very noticeably - making the truck feel like i'm driving on an old country dirt road that has the wash board effect...and the more gas i give it the harder it thumps, I let off the gas and it goes away, kinda, only to return when gas is applied again and then it just goes away, it prolly only last about 2 to 3 minutes and when i give it gas it does accelerate while thumping so it's not like a total loss of power, it also has never happen when pulling a load, just normal in town driving...it's odd cause none of the gages flicker - tack is steady as a rock and no dummy lights come on and the dealer sees nothing in the computer !...i see where this is going with the dealer - it has to break or at least throw an error code before they can do anything - I'm stuck, just hope not on the side of the road !

Does anybody have any ideas of what might be happening ?

If it helps for fuel I run Valero diesel 99% of the time - never have run any of the bio-diesel and I run a little Power Services Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost every few tanks. Also the dealer did say they applied some software upgrades to the computer for the transmission, also said they did some other things that I know they didn't do cause I watched the whole process and I went on the test drive, but that is a whole nother story...lol

I really appreciate any info !!!
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you get a Cleaning Exhaust Filer message just before you experience this??? If so, you may want to read this TSB. If it sounds like your issue, print it off and take it to the dealership with you.
TSB 13-5-17
The Following User Says Thank You to poormanscat For This Useful Post:
bocalightning89 (04-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nice!!!, you da man !!!....come to think of it it is usually not too long after the fact...thank you very much !!!!...something tells me the dealership knows about this and just didn't want to take the time...
Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM

yeah.. i said something to one of the diesel techs at the local Ford house about this TSB... At first, he didn't act as though he knew about it, then admitted that he didnt want to do any of them since Ford only paid 14 hours total. Said there wasnt enough time to remove and install the cab, and doing it over the fender was a big PITA.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

this is such BS !!!...so what did you do ?...did they eventually fix it ? what will happen if they don't fix it - does anybody know ???

If ya care...I used to be a GM guy...for years I was buying Chevy's and GMC's and for years I stupidly sat in service departments getting warranty work done...and then one day I had finally had enough...after spending almost a month and a half without a new truck I was paying for but was not getting to use because it was stuck in a service department/garage, and I finally get the truck back and that weekend was driving the wife in-town for a hair appointment when the check engine light came on... for the last time !!! I traded that POS in on a new Toyota Tundra ( back in the T100 body style days )...and then over the next 12 years of owning 2 other Tundra's I never once spent any time in the service department - not once !!! then I get this bug in my arse to buy a new truck and man the F250 SD w/Diesel sure looked good...so I bought my first Ford...and depending on how this gets resolved maybe my last !!! It infuriates me to no end that we spend all this money and these a-holes in the service are think it's ok to harass us when their product fails and we bring it in to get it fixed...it's just BS !
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same exact problem. I am waiting on the dealership to get a new head gasket in so they can perform the repair.

Here is my main concern: My truck has 14,000 miles on it. It has done this VERY violently for a while now. I tend to feel like my truck, even when it is not "bucking" during regen, tends to drive like crap now. There seems like there is slop on the drivetrain.

Do any of you think this violent bucking can cause excess wear on the tranny, joints, rearend, basically anything on the drivetrain?

I really think I am going to trade this thing in once this TSB is dealt with and never look back!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was just told the same thing by my dealer - head gasket is back ordered - I asked the service dude what damage is happening when this is going on and he said nothing..."right"...so I'm going to do some calling around to see if I can locate this here missing link, because I was told they have all the other parts that we're just waiting on a head gasket...then I wondered over to the salesman that I bought the truck from to see what he could do on a new truck and that was a big waste of time !!! he kept saying he was doing his best for me...LOL...when this is all over I'll be driving a new Toyota Tundra Diesel - Toyota is coming out with a diesel in either 2014 or 2015 they say...I hate to say it but this is my first and prolly last Ford...it's a shame but this is the same foul taste I got from GM products long time ago...
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM

interesting response from the service advisor... If there were no possibility of damage Ford wouldnt have released a TSB to fix it.
KCFISHN, did you have to inform them of the TSB or did they "find" it on their own?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I brought it up...it started shaking while on the way to the dealer after I printed theTSB and I grabbed the same dude who went with me the first time I took it in and of corse it stopped while we were driving so I busted out the TSB and read it to him cause he was driving, well he kinda rubbed his chin and said he would order the parts on Monday to bring it in on Tuesday...so I go in on Tuesday and what do ya know...they have every part but the head gasket, its on back order he said...he said they would call me when it came in, that is when I asked what kind of damage is being caused by my driving it in the mean time, he said none...I think the whole thing is hokey, that he knew about the issue the first time I was there, and the fact that there is not a open service request - just his word, they might never call until I call them...feeling a bit pi$$ed at this point !
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

because after all...if the left side head gasket is truly on back order that means this is a very common problem !...right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.