I modded my 6.7 and now I'm having problems! WTF? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I modded my 6.7 and now I'm having problems! WTF?

I'm new here and considering a 2013 or 2014 F-350 6.7. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 and it is a good truck but has the small quad cab. I have 3 kids now and need a bigger cab and want to tow a 16k 5th wheel.

The new Ram's with the Aisin transmissions are a consideration for me but a co-worker of mine has a 2011 f-350 SRW Crew 6.7 and his truck is nice, has a big cab and is faster than my truck and it has been very reliable.

Anyone on here who has a stock truck AND has had problems? It seems like the problems I hear about are from the guys who modded their trucks and then b1tch that they blew up after running 25k plus miles with a programmer or have towed 30k pounds when the limit is closer to 18-23k.

I'm not loyal to any brand but do like the look and power of the newer Fords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice title, got me interested quick. My 2011 is stock and awesome. Very few and far between the early 6.7's have valve and or turbo problems. But so far the 13's have been problem free. Plus the 13+ have the cooler dash/nav.

Hopefully this makes sense, cause I been

BTW
Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks BIG Laing. I think I may go Ford because of the looks, power, US ownership and they seem to be relatively reliable. Just want to hear from a few owners.

And to your point of the title getting your attention, it's not just the Ford guys. The Dodge guys do it all the time too. I'm not against mods I just get pissed when I see some guy bash a brand or year of truck with a stupid post like:

"I shoved a light bulb up my a$$ and it broke! Now the ER wants $10,000 to remove the shards of glass and my health insurance company is denying the claim! I hate insurance companies!"
Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Good thread. I'm stock and haven't had any issues yet with my 2013. I'll remain stock because I bought a 120,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. These trucks have plenty of power and decent mileage in stock form. I would recommend a 6.7 Powerstroke to anyone. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 AM

I would try and find a dealership that is selling both brands you are interested in..... or find a dodge and ford dealership close together...
go drive both, back to back.. not a week apart.. put them side by side in the parking lot and tell the salesman to go away. its an expensive decision no matter whether you buy ram or ford.
the ford is better than the previous offering 6.4l, but it has not been trouble free. While unpopular to say around this forum, the 6.7l engines are failing. They do have connecting rod and valve issues, along with an extremely fragile injection pump. I love the interior layout of the ford! the ram has a very proven engine platform. previous generation trucks left alot to be desired in matching the durability and reliability of the engine. By going to the Aisin trans and a frame rated for 30,000 lbs...the ram laramie may be a contender for the KR and Platinum Fords.I dont think you would go too wrong with either truck...
Of course, GM is still stuck in 2002... !! hahaha..
Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do like the new Rams but I bet they will still lose to Chevy and Ford in the mountain towing shootouts. Also I'm a little gun shy to buy Ram since the 3500's have changed everything from the frame up. The new Fords have been out 3 years now. I live in Colorado and my daily drive is at a mile high. When I tow it is always to the mountains over the Rockies at 11-12k feet! My 5.9 Cummins does a good job of this but I'm only towing 6k pounds right now. My next truck needs to last at least 10 years as I only drive it about 3k miles per year. It is my camping / hunting / Home Depot vehicle. If I didn't have three growing boys I'd keep the 07 Ram but the cab is too small and it forces them to sit way too upright for any kind of distance. I love the Ford cab and interior.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Stock 6.7 - 2012 - CCLB. No issues and 24,000 miles. Go onto any forum and you'll find issues with any brand. Consumer Reports rated Ford Diesels above GM and Cummins. So, there's statistical information to claim they are more reliable. That and the word of mouth, campground, horseshow feedback from actual users.

I'd be shocked if Ram or GM had better mileage than my truck.

That being said, if Ford shutdown tomorrow I'd look at the Ram. I like their exterior and updates, and the cummins is a good engine.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock 6.7 View Post
I'm new here and considering a 2013 or 2014 F-350 6.7. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 and it is a good truck but has the small quad cab. I have 3 kids now and need a bigger cab and want to tow a 16k 5th wheel.

The new Ram's with the Aisin transmissions are a consideration for me but a co-worker of mine has a 2011 f-350 SRW Crew 6.7 and his truck is nice, has a big cab and is faster than my truck and it has been very reliable.

Anyone on here who has a stock truck AND has had problems? It seems like the problems I hear about are from the guys who modded their trucks and then b1tch that they blew up after running 25k plus miles with a programmer or have towed 30k pounds when the limit is closer to 18-23k.

I'm not loyal to any brand but do like the look and power of the newer Fords.
I am going to purchase a new F-350 6.7 but am holding off until the 2015 models are out in the fall of 2014 which is just a bit over a year from now. I have found that some neat changes are made to the interior and exterior with the mid decade models at times. Also with the member having turbo failures and other's having problems with the 6.7's ,,, All manufacturers have this many and more failures every year with all vehicles. Its just that the internet has exposed us to them. Go to any vehicle reflector site and you will see this same type of thing. It does not matter what a company produces , they have these types of failures every year. It does not matter if it's trucks or boat motors or garden tractors. If you produce many thousands of mechanical items a certain amount will fail early. To produce a item that had very very few failures would cost so much that it would not be affordable. Now if one kept seeing many with turbos or other items failing after 15K miles then the replacement failing again after 10 to 20K miles that would show a high fault product. I believe the gent that had two turbos fail back to back just had some very bad luck . Ratler
Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You know those Aisin transmissions are made of butter. I went through 3 stock and then 1 race. Not sure if they are better now. I had a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab with the 6.7 diesel. I traded it right in when the check engine light came on, actually got off at the next off ramp to the Ford Store. Also blew a head gasket after the race trans. I was told since the trans wasn't slipping anymore the engine was the next fuse.

I tow everything that I did and more with my new Ford. No problems yet. I had two trannies replaced by 33,000 miles on my Dodge and no problems on my F350 after 33,000 miles. I miss the Mega Cab but not the tow trucks
Old 09-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You know those Aisin transmissions are made of butter. I went through 3 stock and then 1 race. Not sure if they are better now. I had a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab with the 6.7 diesel. I traded it right in when the check engine light came on, actually got off at the next off ramp to the Ford Store. Also blew a head gasket after the race trans. I was told since the trans wasn't slipping anymore the engine was the next fuse.

I tow everything that I did and more with my new Ford. No problems yet. I had two trannies replaced by 33,000 miles on my Dodge and no problems on my F350 after 33,000 miles. I miss the Mega Cab but not the tow trucks
If youre gonna brand bash... try and alteast get one or two facts..
Aisin has NEVER been offered in a Ram/Dodge pickup until this year. Starting in 2013,the 3500 series pickup has the Aisin as an optional transmission if you get the high hp Cummins.They were only offered in the C&C trucks (4500-5500 C&C) with the detuned engine previously.
If you had a 6 speed automatic, you had the 68RFE Dodge transmission. The trans. is more than adequate for towing to max rated GCW of the truck as long as the engine is in STOCK trim. All that goes out the window when you start modding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.