ford dealers are telling me i have bad fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ford dealers are telling me i have bad fuel

I have a 2011 f350 6.7 I was hauling my dumb trailer and I got a reduced engine power code, the white smoke the knocking then fuel leaking,

had it towed to dealer the put on a new return line it blew that.
Now they are telling me that its contaminated fuel.
they say I have water in my fuel. I am not so sure. There was no water in my fuel when the drained it there was no water in my separator, the water in fuel light has never come on.
They said it was over 10k to fix. I have 51000 miles on the truck.
Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have the fuel at the station you filed up at tested. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him. The fuel tested fine, then his insurance company looked at surveillance footage and found he was pumping at the same time the station was getting diesel delivered. Obviously sucked up the crap on the bottom of the tanks. The gas station insurance paid for the repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There was no water present. where I fill up at the tanks are filled daily. they couldn't find water. My insurance company will pay for It but this sucks. there fuel system sucks.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:12 PM

That sucks. Sorry to hear. My friend traded his 6.0 in for a 6.7 cause he had issues with the 6.0. The dealer fixed his fuel issue after replacing 100% of his fuel system. From the Tank all the way to the injectors and everything in between. Abd I mean, everything.

Best part, the mechanic at the dealership who did it, dropped the washer for the injector hold down into the engine and didn't say anything. He got a new engine 2 weeks later after it blew up. The mechanic got fired. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM

protect yourself. Have the fuel in the tank tested, have the fuel from the station you filled up at last tested, and have the fuel AFTER the fuel filters on the truck tested. Pay for this yourself, inform the repairing dealership that you are having this tested. Provide them with lab results no matter whether the results come back positive or negative for bad fuel. Also, FORMALLY request a copy of the lab results from the dealership service department where they determined the fuel was "bad".
YOu may have indeed picked up a load of bad fuel, but often times dealership service departments are looking to make a quick buck... Not syaing your dealership is, just saying its always possible... therefore, protect yourself!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM

This is exactly the subject I've read about with the new 6.7L.
No matter how hard you try if you get water in the system it blows the HPFP (high performance fuel pump) due to inadequate fuel detection or filtering.

I want to pull the trigger on buying a new truck but this subject keeps coming up!

you can find links all over the place on this.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...ailure-298467/

Last edited by brews4me; 07-08-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
i'd empty the FCM more often as a preventative measure.. i empty mine once a month.. i've picked up watered down fuel from mobile quite a few times.. idk what they put in there but it sets off my WIF light after a few miles of drving and then i gotta empty it and i go on my way until i need to empty it 30 or 40 miles later.. pain in the ***.. i don't go to mobile anymore because i've drained too many gastanks to refill them with different fuel
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 AM

^^you're on the other side of the states but i will keep that in mind about Mobile.... i agree with every one..
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM

What a lot of folks are saying is that the 6.7L is more sensitive to water than the other diesels from Ford!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brews4me View Post
What a lot of folks are saying is that the 6.7L is more sensitive to water than the other diesels from Ford!
Im hearing the same thing... and that the current GM Duramax is using a very similar HP Bosch pump and has also experienced the same "fragility"
The old CP3 is sure looking good these days!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.