2011 Valve Problems?!?!?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
2011 Valve Problems?!?!?!?

My 2011 with 70k miles just decided yesterday in a parking lot to fall flat on its face and start knocking, shaking, and blowing back through the intake(sound). Scanned at Ford and all injectors passed electrical side and "contribution" side. Cylinder 1 and 8 are the problem children on a chart that was running on techs computer. He says he doesnt think its injectors, but it will be next Wednesday before they can get it in the shop and start with diagnostics. He feels "base engine" problem. This all happens less than 125 miles after they replaced EGR cooler last week. Im not sure if last weeks work caused this in some way or another, but i called Ford and got a case number anyway. I wasnt happy to be put at the back of the line for repairs since they just gave me my truck back and it fell flat in less than 125 miles. Anyway, if you have experience with these 6.7s (early build especially), shoot me your opinion on what youve read. Oh, and no, didnt throw cel for 15 minutes( and i do not know all the codes that were there). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Happens all the time. Just look down a few threads in this forum. What was your build date?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Yeah, I read through most of those and just shook my head. Here's whats "weird" about it. The truck stumbled and started shaking, skipping, knocking, and making that "burp" sound back through intake. Tech came to me and said "Sounds like valve issue". While waiting for Roadside Assistance to show up, we started truck again to listen again, and it was gone. No skipping,tapping,burping,shaking. Nothing. Ran perfect. Tech said "Maybe since I changed the EGR a few days ago and did some carbon cleaning, a small piece may have gotten down and caused a valve to hang temporarily". We cancelled tow, and decided to drive truck to Ford the next morning so he could scan it. Left the parking lot and 3 miles later it started again, and this time it hasnt quit. Thats where he scanned it and now i sit and wait till next week before he can get in the shop. Im not a mechanic, so please help me understand; IF a valve had an issue, could it have corrected itself temporarily?? Once that happened, I thought injector or 2. He scanned and said nope, not injectors.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM

My truck is an early 2011. With upper 70K miles not sure of the exact number. I read that thread about the valves and replacing the long block or whatever.
My truck idled pretty rough so I put it in the shop just to be safe cause it was a noticeably rough idle.
The tech ran some tests on it, but nothing came up and it passed all the tests. But he felt the rough idle so he did some digging and found a TSB that applied to my truck. He told me that the TSB requires to replace the exhaust valves on the left side of the engine.. not both? Just the left side. My truck is in the shop for a 5-10 day wait for a lift to come open so they can take the cab off. So they should get to it this week and be finished next week. (truck was in the shop last week)
I don't know if that helps the OP but that's what just happened to me just this past week.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Funny you mention left side. When the tech here would walk around the front and put his head in the fender well to listen and then to the other side, he kept coming back to the drivers side and finally said "Its on this side". You must have an awefully good relationship with your tech and dealer for them to do what they are doing BEFORE something even breaks. Thats soooo NOT Ford lately.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:30 PM

Yeah the dealership has taken care of me and my family and that's probably an understatement. And I was expecting the tech to just tell me that he didn't feel anything and that my truck was okay. But hopefully that the left side is all that needs to be fixed! Cause if it drops a valve on the right side after warranty is gone I am going to be livid.
But that is weird how the noise is coming from the left. That doesn't make sense that the problem would only be one side? Well I hope they fix it and get you your truck back.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yo may want to check out this TSB TSB 13-5-17

My truck is in the shop getting the left hand valves replaced......for me is was excessive regen cycles. This may help out with your problem.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Hey, thanks for the info. The tech asked if I was in regen and I said not that I know of. The only way I know is to see the QUICK flash in the data center telling me its cleaning. My truck doesn't make any "different" sound when in regen that I've noticed, and I don't get a message saying its finished. So I never know if I am or not .
Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Update FINALLY!!! Dealership finally got my truck in and went through their diagnosis processes. Lifted the cab yesterday after tech determined that at least one valve was sticking when he would manually operate it. Ford said pull head, they did and found one of the pistons had made some contact with a valve and left marks on the piston. They pulled other side today(I have no idea what they found there if anything). After submitting to Ford all the documentation they've asked for, dealership told me they have priced out short block along with heads, long block, or motor. I am at a loss between the difference in a short block and heads vs long block. Tech said theres a 3k difference between short block and heads vs long block. Im figuring the difference in labor time??? Also, he said they MAY do complete engine to cut down on labor costs. Help me here, short block and heads, vs long block, vs complete engine and bolt my stuff back to it. Whats the difference?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A short block with heads is a long block. It's just significantly cheaper to buy them separately. When I replace motors and heads, I buy them separately to save me and customer $ and them I stud them. No sense in tearing down a more expensive motor to get the exact same thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.