Turbo Surge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Surge

I have a 2012 6.7 with only 2,300 miles on it. (bone stock) I havn't driven it much,but now I am driving it every day. Anyway around 1,500 miles I noticed while going up long grades up the Interstate I drive every day that the needle on the boost guage will jump up and down about 3 to 5 pounds. It is real hard to actually feel the small surge that is taking place as well. If you are not on a smooth road or have the radio on you may not even notice it. The Tach metar does not move with the surge. It stays the same,but like I said the boost guage is the one going up in down.
I was at the Ford dealer the other day and told them about the TSB that Ford put out (TSB 13-04-03) about this problem I am having. I found out about it on this forum. They reprogrammed it and the problem is still there.
I have read about the problems on the 2011 and I would assume that even though my truck is a 2012 it would fall into the "problem areas" when it comes to Turbos because my truck was made in the early part on 2012 (Feb)

So my questions are:
Did everyone with the bad turbos have to wait until they blow before they were replaced?

How much boost are these 6.7's getting. I've only ever got 20 lbs. at wide open.

Do they take the cabs off to replace the Turbo? Looks like a mess to get to. How long would I be without a truck while replacing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM

I have a 2011 and I have noticed that the turbo surge has gotten to be pretty regular. I have almost 25,000 miles on mine. Last night I was driving at I had the radio down so that I could hold a conversation. I am wondering the same thing as you. Is it a sign that the turbo is about to blow, should I be worried about it? I never noticed it till I got my truck back from the dealership, they had to update the PCM if I remember correctly. So I am wondering if that might be the problem.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Garrett View Post
I have a 2011 and I have noticed that the turbo surge has gotten to be pretty regular. I have almost 25,000 miles on mine. Last night I was driving at I had the radio down so that I could hold a conversation. I am wondering the same thing as you. Is it a sign that the turbo is about to blow, should I be worried about it? I never noticed it till I got my truck back from the dealership, they had to update the PCM if I remember correctly. So I am wondering if that might be the problem.
I forgot to say that I am only experiancing this issue when I have the cruise control on and I have it set lower then 60mph. As soon as I set it past 60mph I don't have the surge. Is your surge taking place just by using the peddle?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1Pa View Post
I forgot to say that I am only experiancing this issue when I have the cruise control on and I have it set lower then 60mph. As soon as I set it past 60mph I don't have the surge. Is your surge taking place just by using the peddle?
Yeah, its just by using the pedal when ever I am just cruising. Tried to get it to do it today, by stepping on the pedal and then letting off real quick once boost was built. But it did nothing.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lococoin
Is it surging or just increasing the boost then back down. Oscillating or fluctuating of the boost Guage would be how I'd describe mine. My June 2012 build does that in cruise between 60 and 66 Mph sometimes. I've had it in and they say it's a normal charactistic of the truck. To me it seems like poor programming under certain loads and i hope they can fix it one day if enough people complain.

Oh and the most boost I've seen is just over 20.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM

I guess I maybe shouldnt use the word "surge" it is more just a rapped increase and decrease of boost multipul times. The RPM does not change. It is real hard to notice it. If someone was talking or had the radio on it may be missed.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess I maybe shouldnt use the word "surge" it is more just a rapped increase and decrease of boost multipul times. The RPM does not change. It is real hard to notice it. If someone was talking or had the radio on it may be missed.
Has anyone logged data on this.
I would like to see exhaust backpressure and turbo vane control solenoid duty cycle, egr on/off and maf airflow.

That would give us a better idea of whats going on.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what mine does and a ton of people complain about it. Just Google 6.7 Cruise control Surge. I even asked my buddy with a 12 If his did it. He never noticed before but once I pointed it out then he noticed his does it too. Dealer and ford customer service say it's a "normal charactistic of the truck" which is a cop out in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM

I took a quick video of mine doing it the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgC...e_gdata_player
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfd_shop View Post
Has anyone logged data on this.
I would like to see exhaust backpressure and turbo vane control solenoid duty cycle, egr on/off and maf airflow.

That would give us a better idea of whats going on.
I need to order the dongle for my autoenginuity so I can get a newer version of the software. I do have the ford enhanced so I would think I could record this info but I'm not 100% sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.