EGR cooler ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR cooler ???

I work for the public works dept and we got 2012 1 ton dump in the summer. It has 4100 on it and just had to have an EGR cooler put on it. It does idle a lot. It has something like 400 and some engine hrs on it and half on them are idle hrs. Sounds like this will keep happening. They told me to drive it harder to clean it out. So my question is would the delete be a better option? Hard thing would be talking my boss into doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Not a hundred percent sure on this but if you do the egr delete im thinking you would have to delete the dpf as well , seeing that the egr system aids in raising exhaust temps for regens????
Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpichner View Post
Not a hundred percent sure on this but if you do the egr delete im thinking you would have to delete the dpf as well , seeing that the egr system aids in raising exhaust temps for regens????
Fail all over ^^^. You can do an EGR delete (federal offense if registered for public roads) but you need a tuner ( about $1000). Most people that have already spent the money on the tuner will delete the DPF (a 2nd federal offense) also.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Re: EGR cooler ???

Never said it was legal!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Everything here ^^^ is wrong. Well I guess the part about you being "not sure" was right.

Quote:
Never said it was legal!!!!

I never said that you said it was legal. I was letting the OP know it is illegal.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Re: EGR cooler ???

OK fine did some reading. Egr systems are designed to cool the combustion chamber to create less NoX. My findings after deleting the erg system on my 6.0 was 100-150 degree cooler egts (in the manifold) at highway speeds. Besides that can you do an egr delete without dpf delete? I've always thought the dpf needs the egr system???

Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 AM

The DPF would soot up to the limit faster without the EGR. So regens would be more frequent. They are independent of each other though. And if for some weird reason you wanted to keep one and not the other, you could.

The DPF has two types of regens active and passive. passive are triggered when EGT are 572* F and above, so an EGR could help get you to this, but that's not really a good thing in my mind. Active regens are the ones you see the msg for, when your MPG drops for 15 mins. Raw fuel is being sent down the exhaust while the EGR valve is closed.

But to get rid of either one you need a tuner. And if your going to spend $1000 (minimum, can be closer to $1500 now) there is no reason to not spend the extra $50 for an EGR plate, and $100 for the DPF delete pipe (or $400 DP back).
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM

In my opinion, it is not wise to break federal laws with a vehicle that's not your own. Especially with a publicly owned vehicle. It just seems like a very, very bad idea.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
The DPF would soot up to the limit faster without the EGR. So regens would be more frequent. They are independent of each other though.
I'm not sure about this. The EGR deals with NOx not Soot. The EGR reduce the combustion temperature in the combustion chamber? This has the effect of reducing the NOx that is produced at high combustion temps. This is why our trucks have a smaller EGR than previous generation engines. because it deals with the NOx in the SCR by injecting DEF to reduce the NOx.

The DPF is the component that deals with the Soot. It has a filter that collects the soot and then burns it into ash during the regen process. Each part of the emission system addresses a different pollutant. Soot vs NOx.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
I'm not sure about this. The EGR deals with NOx not Soot. The EGR reduce the combustion temperature in the combustion chamber? This has the effect of reducing the NOx that is produced at high combustion temps. This is why our trucks have a smaller EGR than previous generation engines. because it deals with the NOx in the SCR by injecting DEF to reduce the NOx.

The DPF is the component that deals with the Soot. It has a filter that collects the soot and then burns it into ash during the regen process. Each part of the emission system addresses a different pollutant. Soot vs NOx.
The EGR puts the soot (and all exhaust) back in the cylinders right? I thought it helps burn soot/unburned fuel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.