How difficult is it to replace the turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How difficult is it to replace the turbo

My turbo bearrings went out with 45K miles. Ford denied my warranty cause I am Spartan tuned. The Ford house wants to replace it for $3650. I believe the new turbo cost $2000. Is there really $1600 worth of labor involved in replacing a turbo or is it something I can do on my own in my driveway? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd say you could probably do it. That place is sticking it up your hind side on price!!!!

The turbo can be had for $1329 here:

2011 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

tousley ford parts is the bomb!!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikePilot View Post
I'd say you could probably do it. That place is sticking it up your hind side on price!!!!

The turbo can be had for $1329 here:

2011 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

tousley ford parts is the bomb!!
Agreed about Tousley Ford!
When I placed my order with them for a upfitter switch they called me to make sure I was ordering the correct part. I received my order the next day.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Why not ask Spartan to cover the cost of your new turbo? It is apparent from the much higher percentage of turbo failures on tuned 6.7s, that the tuner is over stressing the Ford turbo. This would indicate that the tuner manufacture did not do adequate testing on the negative effects their tuner could have on the stock 6.7 prior to marketing their product.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post
Why not ask Spartan to cover the cost of your new turbo? It is apparent from the much higher percentage of turbo failures on tuned 6.7s, that the tuner is over stressing the Ford turbo. This would indicate that the tuner manufacture did not do adequate testing on the negative effects their tuner could have on the stock 6.7 prior to marketing their product.
All our trucks are completely stock and have all had multiple turbos put on them. We have some that have only had two in 60K miles.... some have had 5 within 100K...
The turbos on the new 6.7L are weak... Ford would not have voluntarily spent the $$$ on updating the turbo components for the newer trucks if there wasnt an issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
All our trucks are completely stock and have all had multiple turbos put on them. We have some that have only had two in 60K miles.... some have had 5 within 100K...
The turbos on the new 6.7L are weak... Ford would not have voluntarily spent the $$$ on updating the turbo components for the newer trucks if there wasnt an issue.
I assume you are talking about the detuned 6.7, which has a different turbo. That turbo does appear to have a reliability problem based on the high number of reported failures in fleet trucks. However, if you have experienced 5 failures in less than 100k you probably have another problem. Do you not believe that Spartan has any responsibility for the failure of originators turbo failure?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Personally? No.. The turbo on the pickup engine is of marginal durability as well. I would imagine that if you check shaft speed of the turbo with the engine at full power at sea level, then again at altitude, you would most likely find the answers to the 6.7L altitude sickness.
If the turbo was not at the edge of its operating window in stock form, a tuner would not have hurt it. Ford/Dealerships simply use the tuner as an excuse to not pay for a marginal design. Along the same lines as blaming a CP4 pump failure on "bad fuel"
I have a very good friend that has a 12 model F250 that shelled out the turbo before it hit 5K miles, stock, not over/under worked... Just rolled thru a light and went back to the throttle and bang!. These reports are all to familiar..
While you can't necessarily compare different engine manufacturers, my 5.9L has been running a tuner for several years and is always running well beyond the factory IMAP specs... no failure yet
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Personally? No.. The turbo on the pickup engine is of marginal durability as well. I would imagine that if you check shaft speed of the turbo with the engine at full power at sea level, then again at altitude, you would most likely find the answers to the 6.7L altitude sickness.
If the turbo was not at the edge of its operating window in stock form, a tuner would not have hurt it. Ford/Dealerships simply use the tuner as an excuse to not pay for a marginal design. Along the same lines as blaming a CP4 pump failure on "bad fuel"
I have a very good friend that has a 12 model F250 that shelled out the turbo before it hit 5K miles, stock, not over/under worked... Just rolled thru a light and went back to the throttle and bang!. These reports are all to familiar..
While you can't necessarily compare different engine manufacturers, my 5.9L has been running a tuner for several years and is always running well beyond the factory IMAP specs... no failure yet
A part that will perform its intended function, within its design limits, with a very low probability of failure is not a marginal design. Could the stock turbo have been designed to function reliably at a high boost pressure? Of course it could have. Do I want to pay the additional cost for a capability I will never use or need.? No. If Spartan wants to sell a tuner that has a significant probability of over stressing the stock turbo should they at least warn their customers of this fact?
With regard to the reported 6.7 altitude sickness, my stock 6.7 has had no problem pulling my travel trailer (12k) through the Eisenhower Tunnel on 3 trips back east during the last 2 yrs at the speed limit. Anyone who can not do that should have their truck checked for a problem. Could the 6.7 do it at 15k ft altitude? Don't know don't care.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM

There is a reason Ford has spent development resources updating the turbo for late 2012 and future engines... They do not spend $$$ just for the fun of it.
Back in mid-late 2010, I stood in a local dealership service department among 3 Ford engineers as we all discussed the large # of random issues we were experiencing with our early release 2011 C&C trucks.... When the subject turned to the turbos on the C&C trucks I inquired as to why they did not use the pickup turbo on the C&C truck and was told there had been an extraordinary amount of time and resources sizing the turbo for the pickup trucks, and in the end, they were still not completely satisfied with the production part....
This conversation initially started due to inquiries as to why the pickup had an exhaust brake and the C&C trucks did not.
In the end, when a consumer purchases a tuner for any vehicle, they take all responsibility into their own hands and should assume they have become their own warranty station.... Spartan did not force anyone to buy their product!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
This conversation initially started due to inquiries as to why the pickup had an exhaust brake and the C&C trucks did not.
I wished the supposed exhaust brake that these pickups have would actually apply stopping power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.