fuel contamination - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy fuel contamination

have not had use of my truck for six weeks, Ford is trying to tell me it is fuel contamination, first they said they smelled something, next they sent fuel to an independent test lab. came back 100% diesel, after 5 weeks they said we found a granular substance in your filter which caused it to destroy the hpfp , I am currently waiting for Ford engineers to make determination,my question to them is how would anything that a tech can see get by two fitlers,?????and cause complete failure???? They have now found out that I am a 35 year ASE master tech. Anyone else with this problem I would like to get with you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unfortunately, you are one of a growing # of new 6.7L Ford owners that is experiencing Fords answer to a sub-standard HPFP.. The way out of a warranty claim for them is to blame it on bad fuel..
Documentation is everything. Document ANY and ALL conversations between you and Ford/Dealership.
Have the fuel tested by an independent lab at your own expense. Inform the dealership that you are doing this, and provide them with a copy of the lab report whether its good or bad news...
Is it a Ford/Motorcraft filter installed on your truck? The filter on the engine is a sealed unit that cannot be disassembled, how did THEY do it? ( atleast on the C&C trucks it is)
I agree, even if its just a 10 micron filter, they cant bang it against a shop towel on top of a tool box and see 10 micron particles.. Did these particles come from the filter inlet or outlet?..
I feel for ya.. so glad my Dodge uses the CP3 pump and not the CP4 that Ford and GM are currently using.. as a side note, GM is having failures as well out of that same pump, but does NOT appear to be denying warranty claims...
Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you, looks like this one will end up at the court house
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bob

Welcome to my now not so exclusive club...I was treated as badly for a similar situation 1.5 years ago...I believe I filed the first complaint regarding Ford and it's POS 6.7 diesel engine at the NHTSA.

I sent you a PM...if you are interested in dialog, I am available...

Regards
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM

After so many reports of this I'm almost afraid to drive my truck. I keep all receipts of fuel fill ups and I only buy at my local truck stop. Lots of fuel goes through the facility. 2012 f450 lariat
Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM

I suspect that failures and people scared of impending failure is why the local dealership lots are starting to fill up with 11-12 model used trucks...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
I suspect that failures and people scared of impending failure is why the local dealership lots are starting to fill up with 11-12 model used trucks...

You know, I've been noticing quite a few lately.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

I had a 2005 6.0 XLT Lariat CC It was a beautiful truck but the 6.0 was the most trouble riddled diesel ever made. I got rid of mine after the egr, oil cooler, head gasgets etc. were replaced. Thankfully it was under warranty. This happened with about 15,000 miles on it and it was the first time I pulled my trailer to a camp site. Most people that kept them spent thousands of dollars to repair them so that they would last. This site is full of horror stories about the 6.0's. I now have a 2012 6.7 XLT Lariat CC and it runs like a champ. I pull a 30ft. 5th wheel that weighs about 12,000 lbs loaded and i have had no issues. Love this truck!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
I have noticed a lot of used around aswell but none are 6.7 all gas trucks.

Josh
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Im not arguing or discounting anyone's situation, BUT in my experience (was a diesel tech at a ford dealer) all instance's where i or any of the other tech's ran into warrenty not covering fuel system problems with these trucks were with out a doubt operator error that caused the root problem, and there were not very many that were factory flaws. Personally i don't believe anyone should be worried or have that thought in the back of there head, just need to be conscious of what your putting in your fuel tank. Truth is these new fuel systems/engines are more sensitive then say for example the 7.3 that you could run 75% diesel/ATF mix without a problem. Ford is being a little stingy with warranty in these cases because not all dealers are competent enough to distinguish between a factory problem and operator error, i had a truck that wiped out the entire fuel system because the owner dumped 5 gallons of DEF into the fuel tank, and couldn't understand why it wasn't covered! I guess my point behind this post is this, you shouldn't be afraid to drive your truck and if something does happen just make sure it goes to a good dealer that will be able to verify that your not at fault for the failure...unless of course you are haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.