3 Turbos, high oil temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3 Turbos, high oil temp

Hoping for some insight, I have had some recurring problems that we have still not resolved.
My truck has had the lag and sluggish performance since purchased (6500 miles). Taken to dealer and explained as detuned engine, and that's just the way things are. This was/is hard to accept as this is often dangerous in traffic.
Although aggravating I can manage to deal with it. ... On to the present problem.
At 34K turbo bearings failed. shortly after DPF was replaced as Restricted. At 48K CAC Hose Blown off with clamp failure. At 49K turbo 2nd failure again being bearings.
At 77K lost power and boost dropped. Called for road service and was told would tow to dealer Monday morning, decided to limp to motel. When pulling back onto interstate, power was back, but after 4-8 miles it would choke down again. (Acted just like fuel filters) Found that I could pull off and let it idle a couple of minutes, then I could take off and go again with same result. Found a dealer monday where they tried to find problem, (Serviced and Fuel filters changed) test drove without load or trailer and signed off as okay. 50 miles south of visit, and after hours, problem returned. Limped all the way home while traffic was less. Took to my preferred dealer, which have been Great. Test drove without trailer and everything seemed fine. Brought my empty trailer and problem showed up on long hills. All vitals looked good on computer (fuel pressure, exhaust restriction) Diagnosed as Turbo seizing.
Turbo and CAC replaced (other dealerships did not replace CAC) (( inside of both were full of crud)). Had good hopes of all being well now,,,,but,,, Once loaded truck topped out at 60 and boost dropped again. Same indications, could run strong then have to pull off and idle to let it catch its breath. All the while I had been watching gauges. but for some reason I decided to look through monitor screen and found Oil temp was 267, normally about 205-210. Will be back at dealer (Again I must stress, have been Great) tomorrow and tell them this new revelation, but was looking for any ideas from the forum family.

Last edited by Castaway; 11-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ok.. apparently you have one of these C&C trucks as well...
1st, let me say that I fully agree that the lag on take-off is a SAFETY ISSUE!!..
Has your repairing dealer performed the NOX sensor update on your truck yet? There is a TSB out on it and the C&C trucks do NOT generate codes for every failure mode!!. Since its a 2011 C&C truck, I would also request they run a cylinder contribution test to rule out a cracked exhaust valve. The turbos on the C&C trucks absolutely suck.. there is no kind way to describe them other than to say they suck.. with the 2011-2012 trucks we currently have, we typically have one turbo failure a month.. All have the updated turbo and software called for by the tsb/recall... CAC lines are also a common failure.. Did it break up at the end where it hooks back to the throttle inlet? All of ours have broken right across the plastic roto-molded end where it connects to the engine. I am starting to believe the CAC lines and turbo failures are a product of a malfunctioning throttle actuator... My truck just failed the actuator..
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM

C&c what is this

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM

i think it means cab and chassis
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes mine is a Cab/Chassis model, and yes the Turbos are pathetic, the CAC line blew out at the front clamp. matter of fact dealership could not locate one and being as I was out of town, they were able to simply replace clamp for temporary fix and told me to watch boost gauge and keep below 20 (haha). They did use a BoreScope to inspect cylinfers and valves.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They are now suspecting EGR problems and are removing and inspecting this morning. This does make sense with the oil temp escalating. I shoud mention when taking truck to dealer oil temp went to 246 without trailer.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Question: Why in the hell would they be looking at the egr system if the engine oil temp is high?.... Wouldnt that indicate a bad engine oil cooler?...

The oil cooler on the 6.7 looks almost identical to the one on the 6.0 and 6.4. Could it be clogged up just like those do?

Last edited by a2elvis; 11-20-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

One of the techs had mentioned this, but they were leaning towards the EGR since it would recover so quickly after letting it idle for a minute.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Damn I clicked this thread thinking you'd somehow managed to shoehorn 3 turbos into a 6.7 engine bay.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraStroker View Post
Damn I clicked this thread thinking you'd somehow managed to shoehorn 3 turbos into a 6.7 engine bay.
Once I hit the Lottery and can afford to lose my warranty, I would love to explore that, right now I would just be happy to have a truck that could make a paycheck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.