3 Turbos, high oil temp - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Herrrd that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

@ a2elvis, you may have been on to something, EGR was stopped up so they replaced with new, but tech found on HotLine, that this has some other occurences. Apparently these engines have a Bypass Plug that blows out allowing oil to bypass the oil cooler. They dropped the pan and sure nuff,,,, it was hanging by retainer. No explanation as to what causes them to blow, he is researching deeper for me and I will pass on to forum. Sad part is the plug cannot simply be replaced, it is built into upper portion of oil case assembly, requiring raising or removing engine.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You are one patient man...thanks for sharing all of this to us...hoping you get some positive results!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
@ a2elvis, you may have been on to something, EGR was stopped up so they replaced with new, but tech found on HotLine, that this has some other occurences. Apparently these engines have a Bypass Plug that blows out allowing oil to bypass the oil cooler. They dropped the pan and sure nuff,,,, it was hanging by retainer. No explanation as to what causes them to blow, he is researching deeper for me and I will pass on to forum. Sad part is the plug cannot simply be replaced, it is built into upper portion of oil case assembly, requiring raising or removing engine.
Holy crap that seems like a bad idea.... I mean the plug in the pan thing.

Sounds an awful lot like having to pull the whole damn top of the engine apart to replace the oil cooler on a 6.0L...

Sorry to hear of the trouble and I truly hope this is not a sign of things to come?...
Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I may be patient, but definitely not rich, this is taking a toll. This truck is my livelihood.

I called this morning to make sure they are changing the Oil Cooler as well, but Ford is labeling this as a Design Flaw in the Bypass Plug. the new assembly is different and they see no need to change Cooler. Mine is an early production 6.7,.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I may be patient, but definitely not rich, this is taking a toll. This truck is my livelihood.

I called this morning to make sure they are changing the Oil Cooler as well, but Ford is labeling this as a Design Flaw in the Bypass Plug. the new assembly is different and they see no need to change Cooler. Mine is an early production 6.7,.
Copy that... Design flaw.. no way!!! That cant happen...

I love my Super Duty and would never get rid of it, but its little things like this that drive me crazy!

Hope all works out, let me know when and if they get it fixed up.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got the truck back and made a trip with no issues. They did end up changing Oil Cooler as well, seems the upgraded piece has a different connection to the cooler.
I loaded today with about 18K, and had no problems, the highest I saw oil temp was 231 on a long hill.
Glad to be back on the road.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah the oil cooler is a new design as is the upper pan. I have heard of this plug falling out, i've been on the lookout for them as it's a new issue that's appeared
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had the truck back for a week now, and seems to be doing well now. Actually has more power than before it went down.
I don't believe the power increase is related to the plug, probably the replacement of the CAC, and EGR, as they were full of crud. Still nothing to get excited about with the detuned setup, but I can tolerate it now.
On a side note, I opened a case with Customer Relations, due to the fact of the truck being down for a month, and being my way of living...I'm not impressed at all with Ford's programs.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Update on Turbo situation. After hitting 100K I deleted and tuned and was able to make it to 261K without any more problems,,,,, till now.
Performance was much better after tuning, (tuned in H&S Tow program) and I believe this helped prevent problems. My oil is clean when changed at 6K.
I am now researching as to if there is an aftermarket Turbo for these Cab/Chassis.
For those interested, I stay loaded usually grossing 30K and fuel went from 6.3 mpg to 8.8 mpg after deleting DPF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.