6.7 liter blown turbo hose and now no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 liter blown turbo hose and now no start

I have a 2012 Ford F-550 rollback with 12,700 miles on it. This past weekend while loaded with a Honda Accord the Ford made a loud noise under the hood that sounded like a tire blowing out. I was pulling away from a traffic light at the time (flat ground/land) and running about 25MPH. The truck began to run rough, and smoke from the exhaust.

Pulled into the median and found under the hood that the plastic hose coming off of the turbo had blown into pieces. The clamps were still in place. Was only a mile or so from the Honda dealer and had to get my customers car off of my rollback. Was able to limp the truck down the road. Was barely able to get the car off of the truck. A short time later the truck began displaying "cleaning exhaust system" many times in a row then showed "reduced engine power". Then it shut down completely moments after getting the Honda off of the truck.

Had the rollback pulled to the Ford dealer. The dealer replaced the hose, and cleared the trouble codes, but the truck will not start. They spoke to the Ford Tech hotline people, and at this point everyone is clueless. I do not have a problem with the dealership or their service people they have been trying to help. Received a call from them today advising to expect the truck to be there at least several more days. They are going to remove the turbo to check the back side of it, and then do a manual compression check of the engine since all other systems seem to be working properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The throttle actuator is stuck in the closed position... it will not generate a code on the C&C trucks for some reason.... According to the Ford troubleshooting procedures, it claims that it will not cause the engine to shut down... what it fails to mention is that it WILL prevent the truck from starting if it has been shut down... If the actuator sticks while running, power will be down, but the engine will run on EGR... Once you shut it down, if the actuator does not free up, it will not start. I just went thru this same issue with my 2011 F550..
Did they try firing it off on ether? If the actuator is stuck, it will only try on occasion to fire up but will not run..
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They have not spoke to me of this yet, but this sounds like it could be the problem to me. Before I left the truck this past weekend it would on occassion turn over and start briefly and switch back off.It Had the sound like it was starving for fuel. I will call the dealership when they open in the morning and question them on this matter. Thanks! Will let you know.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay got the truck back today. A week after being in the shop. I was told the Exhaust Filter was "stopped up" which caused the turbo hose to blow off in the first place. I was not given a reason upon why this happened. The mechanic told me this was the first one he has worked on with this type of a problem. The filter was replaced I was told just the part is around $3,000. Everything was covered under warranty though. Anyone else had this happen? Should I expect the filter to "stop up" every 12,000 miles?

Drove the truck about 40 miles since picking it up. Runs great right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.