Blown 6.7 at 22k miles!

80K views 79 replies 39 participants last post by  dwhit 
#1 ·
Hello All

My Truck Specs
2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7 Diesel All options
Pearl White two tone 20” Wheels

Blown engine at 22K Miles!

I was a GM guy prior to purchasing my first Ford F250 in 2008. It was a 6.4. Long-long story short after fighting with Ford for 16 months they finally agreed(kicking and screaming) to buy the truck back from me. I decided to give them another try and bought a 2011 F250 Lariat Loaded Crew Cab. I will have to say I have had no complaints with the truck up until 2 weeks ago! I tow a 33 Foot fifth wheel Camper(roughly 13K pounds). This was only the second time I towed this camper with this truck(the first time was only for a 20min ride) and I was on the way to Maine on vacation with the family. About 45 min into the trip I heard a strange Ticking/Hissing noise from the drives side of the engine and within 15 seconds the engine just shut completely down at 65mph. Truck has 22K babied miles! I had my entire family in the truck with limited steering and basically no brakes except for the emergency brake and trailer brakes! Very bad situation to say the very least. The dealership I deal with is pretty much the best dealer in Mass and they have a specialty diesel shop so needless to say my truck will get fixed and most likely be fine. They ordered a new long block and are installing it as we speak. Probably be without the truck for 3 weeks total – not to bad considering-I guess!

The reason I am posting is I own 3 trucks total with the 6.7 in them and I am trying to get Ford to at least warrantee them further than the standard 5y/100k miles on the engine. My other two trucks are Chassis cab’s and only get about 5-6K miles per year so I am afraid if these happen to be defective ones they very well might be out of warrantee before they blow or have very serious issues! I think I am being pretty reasonable considering its my second defective $62K truck in 2 years and I own 1-2011 F350 Chassis and 1-2012 F550 Chassis cab!

Knowing Ford from my last mess with the 08 6.4 I am planning on a fight. I would like to reach out and find out just how many of these are out there and maybe get some specifics on each one. Year, Miles Etc. This will certainly help my argument with Ford. I have found at least 20 threads regarding the same issue. So I have found at least 20 so far. This could be a great thread/info for anyone else having the same issue and would like to get satisfaction from FMC.

Thank you for reading this.

See less See more
#6 ·
This might be a true story but why is it that whenever these stories come up the guy has one post lol go back to gm. I don't think it's bad luck it's lack out maintenance people think they can go 20k on an oil change cause it said so on the back of the bottle.

Reactions: toren302
#9 ·
Haha good call on the average duramax owner. I'm hoping he is a troll cause I wouldn't want anyone to have problems like that with there truck

#11 ·
Settle down there fantom read my last comment. It is good to have people like me around here takes all sorts to make the forum go round. There have been other people come on here with stories like this who turned out to be not true. Like I said I hope if this is true he gets it resolved I wouldn't wish these problems on anybody. To once I can just settle down you took my comment a little to serious

#12 ·
I read your second comment, but your first comment wasn't warranted. You jumped on the guy until another member made the joke that he couldn't have been a d-max guy. Just because other people have come on here with "stories like this" doesn't mean that anytime someone's post is about a serious problem with their truck doesn't make them a troll from the GM site. So maybe you should try giving people the benefit of the doubt rather than tell them to "go back to the GM site" or that they "expect to run 20k miles on an oil change". People like you who immediately cry troll, drive away new members with valid complaints and problems.

#13 ·
I was the one who didn't say troll the last three stories like this and after the guys never wrote back everyone else said troll. Anyways it's fine i don't have time to argue on an online forum. So once again sorry to the op. who hasn't been back.....

#14 ·
The org' should have guys post pics of themselves in front of Thier trucks holding a spoon and bill of sale to weed out the trolls.

(not srs)

#15 ·
Been out of touch - couldn't log in!

Hey Guys
Sorry I’m have not responded, i couldn't log in for some reason - i was starting think there was some sort of conspiracy going on!
Thank you for all your support!
This forum is great and companies like Ford HATE them because there is no way to hide this stuff.

I plan to post an update later of all the events that have transpired over the past few days.

Just an answer to maintenance questions. My maintenance is only done by the dealer and done early every time! The truck that blew up has had 4 oil changes so far and all the other required stuff like fuel filter and antifreeze checked. So that’s your answer to that!

My dealer is Herb Chambers Ford in Braintree , MA. There Diesel Shop has the single best diesel tech in probably New England! Go there if you want it done right! Sorry Dave!

I am not a one and done! Did you read my post?? I own F250, F350 & F550 all with 6.7’s in them! How am I a one and done?? How many do you own? I got almost 200K in Ford trucks with 6.7 engines in them - should I not be concerned??

I will get back with pictures and updates later today.

FYI – I love all my trucks and Ford still builds the best truck – by far. They just need to get these engines squared away and until then they should back them up and support the customers!
!

#16 ·
Hey Guys
Sorry I’m have not responded, i couldn't log in for some reason - i was starting think there was some sort of conspiracy going on!
Thank you for all your support!
This forum is great and companies like Ford HATE them because there is no way to hide this stuff.

I am not a one and done! Did you read my post?? I own F250, F350 & F550 all with 6.7’s in them! How am I a one and done?? How many do you own? I got almost 200K in Ford trucks with 6.7 engines in them - should I not be concerned??

I will get back with pictures and updates later today.

FYI – I love all my trucks and Ford still builds the best truck – by far. They just need to get these engines squared away and until then they should back them up and support the customers!
!

You're gonna have to post pics of yourself in front of all your trucks, holding a spoon and vehicle titles, standing on one leg, that way we know ur legit and not trolling our forum..:icon_ford:

#22 ·
Hello Everyone
Does this help
THis was two weeks ago at the dealer!
Cab Off
Truck torn apart!
Nightmare to say the very least. THis truck was $62K!!!

Let's us know what caused the failure.:confused:

#18 ·
just a heads up the 550 you own may as well be a totally different animal with different turbo and all different programs. it runs totally different. its a shame to hear about your 08. many 08 owners had lots of problems. the 09 and 10 was much better i hear. i have not heard much about 6.7s blowing up. but i have heard of them having a few issues. some had real main seals out some had turbo issues some had other small things that is expected with any new line of engine. i hope with this new motor you are trouble free and look at the upside atleast you get a motor with 22k less miles. i wish my motor would explode under warranty lol

#19 ·
Thank you for posting and i apprecaite where you are coming from as far as a new motor at 23K! That thought did cross my mind.

My biggest concern are my other trucks becasue they are commercial 1-ton dumps and get used everyday for my business. If they go down i'm screwed and i am really screwed if they are out of warrentee!

I know the F350 & F550 have different turbo's and programming becasue they are both Chassis Cabs with 300hp & 660Tq. TRUST ME I CAN TELL THE POWER DIFFERENCE AND TURBO LAG! The 250 Turbo lag is pretty much not-there! The issue i have is the engine itsself, the internal componets are the same and that is what blew on my 250 some sort of Value Shattered - they are really not telling me much. I did find out prior to May2011 are the most effected engines.

#20 ·
the motor your getting now is more likely to have the new motor "kinks" worked out now so hopefully your in good shape and atleast you got 4 more years to blow up your other trucks :p

#23 ·
Well now I feel bad. I'm glad your not a troll and I really do hope it all works out for you

#24 ·
Damm you guys are all great!

Don't feel bad for me - Feel bad for Ford! - I can be a real PITA when i want to be!

Keep the posts coming, the only way to get satisfaction is information!

I wish i could talk to someeone in Ford Tech Dept to find out if they know, understand and have fixed the issue.
They are telling me its a shattered value becasue it was made from inferior metal or something. If that s the case then so be it but i would like to know.

#26 ·
Damm you guys are all great!

Don't feel bad for me - Feel bad for Ford! - I can be a real PITA when i want to be!

Keep the posts coming, the only way to get satisfaction is information!

I wish i could talk to someeone in Ford Tech Dept to find out if they know, understand and have fixed the issue.
They are telling me its a shattered value becasue it was made from inferior metal or something. If that s the case then so be it but i would like to know.

That's just unacceptable. Is this motor made in Mexico? I hope they work it out when ever I trade my six leaker in.

#29 ·
No nothing just thinking how far powerstroke has help u in your business , when I started mine I had 15 powerstrokes from 7.3 to the 6.4, the 7.3 paid for its self more then triple, out pull all the other ones and it's still running both of them have over 350k on them, but the 6.0 and 6.4 always left our employees stranded, most of the problems where cause by them, one pumped gas in the diesel tank, over the years have found that employees didn't care , I hired a in house mechanic to prevent stuff like mixing fluids, anyways most of my problems were employee error. The new 6.7 is the first one ans that's the one I drive, I don't think I will buy 6.7 for our fleet, there's too many things that could go wrong, especially if the employees don't care, I have fired a few for not following company guidelines on maintenance procedures .

#30 ·
Same for us!

Hello all,

We have a 2011 350 superduty and 2012 550 both with the 6.7. We have had our share of trucks (Dodge and the wonderful GMC 5500). Decided to move our future business purchases to Ford last year.
The 350 pulls a 32ft, double axle, 14k lb 5th wheel. 44k as of now
The 550 pulls a 40ft, triple axle, 18k lb 5th wheel. less than 15k as of now
All highway miles.
We handle our own service - oil/filters etc all changed within 4.5k miles, typically every 3 to 4 weeks. These trucks have been great compared to our past experiences with GMC/Dodge. Until...

5 days ago the 350 has a code PO8284 - which I cannot find info for but the dealer says that it is for the #6 cylinder. The dealer also says that 3 cylinders are not operational and that the cab is coming off (last Friday) but they would have to wait for answers from Ford Corp before they could go any further. Today they tell me that the engine is shot...luckily we have a back up POS GMC 5500 to get us around but it needs a bottle and diaper change every 100 miles or so :).

#33 ·
Hello all,

We have a 2011 350 superduty and 2012 550 both with the 6.7. We have had our share of trucks (Dodge and the wonderful GMC 5500). Decided to move our future business purchases to Ford last year.
The 350 pulls a 32ft, double axle, 14k lb 5th wheel. 44k as of now
The 550 pulls a 40ft, triple axle, 18k lb 5th wheel. less than 15k as of now
All highway miles.
We handle our own service - oil/filters etc all changed within 4.5k miles, typically every 3 to 4 weeks. These trucks have been great compared to our past experiences with GMC/Dodge. Until...

5 days ago the 350 has a code PO8284 - which I cannot find info for but the dealer says that it is for the #6 cylinder. The dealer also says that 3 cylinders are not operational and that the cab is coming off (last Friday) but they would have to wait for answers from Ford Corp before they could go any further. Today they tell me that the engine is shot...luckily we have a back up POS GMC 5500 to get us around but it needs a bottle and diaper change every 100 miles or so :).
Dtcs arent normally that long its either a p8284 or a p0828 symptom 04 the big 3 basically ran out of trouble code #s so the code gets you in the ball park but they symptom narrows it down. At least thats the way it is with gas jobs these days just my .02

#31 ·
BFMD, sorry your having problems too, after reading all this, I called the dealer where I just bought my truck , I asked him about warranty issues with ford,'and this is what he said, this is a new engine(6.7) and they are having a lot of issues with it but so far they have been having better luck then the international engines, I also asked him about mods and he told me to stay away from mods for now cause ford will delay warranty if they find any on the trucks, I also asked on cold air intakes and he also said to stay away from installing them, he also said that this engine is a ford engine and it was a in house warranty instead of getting help from international so now ford will be more picky on warranty issues then before. Man this sucks I already order the cold air intake !, and the worse part is that I bought a extended warranty too.

#32 ·
I have a feeling they are trained to say that the internationals have more problems.
If this happens more in the near future, I have a feeling we will see a recall soon. That will cost them mega bucks! I hope they find the problem sooner than later. Who knows, they may already have found the issue with the first 30 or 40 nation wide failures and fixed it. Maybe we will get the 'updated' engine
Will keep everyone posted on how it goes. 7 hours ago, I was told that the dealer was seeking permission from Ford Corp to move forward. No one has called us back yet. Crossing fingers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.