Blown Engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blown Engine

Around 01:30 AM On the 10th of July 2012 while pulling a fifth wheel camper which weighed around 10,000 pounds my 2011 F350s 6.7 motor had a catastrophic engine failure.
• July 10, 2012, Driving East on I-69 in Michigan @ 195 mm, cruise set @ aprox 65 mph, loud thrashing noise from the driver’s side of motor.
• Rapid deceleration, message window says reduced power, motor dies, and I coast to the side of road.
• I thought that the belt had come off and was the cause of the noise, not true, checked under hood and could see nothing wrong, no fluid underneath, oil full.
• Checked for codes and found P0087, Fuel rail/system pressure too low code.
• Tried to start several times to no avail, called for tow truck, thinking fuel filter or at the worst a lower fuel pump.
• Took the truck, and then the camper to a Ford dealer about 10 miles away. The service manager came out and let me know that he won’t be able to look at it for two to three weeks. Reload the truck on the flat bed and take it about 40 miles to another Ford Dealer who had a tech on it right away.
• After a couple hours of diagnoses I am told that the engine is blown, no compression in one cylinder and low compression in a few more cylinders. The solutions offered were, a used or rebuilt motor with 3 months to no warranty or a new motor with a Ford warranty. I asked for a round number best guess at the cost of a new motor and was told around $10,000, I had them price the new motor for me.
• I was given a price $12,400 for parts and labor.
• July 11 2012 talked with the tech about what else should be done such as alternator replacement, he said that he was going to take a close look at the turbo and let me know. He also told me that there was a glow plug broken off but that he didn’t think it was the cause of the problem.
• July 12 2012 Got the call that the turbo was definitely bad another $2,200, plus $351 for alternator (my idea to change while apart). Closer to $15,000 than $10,000 and will probably grow!
This truck is a 2011 F350 6.7 dually with 167,000 miles on it, with the transmission being the only problem previous to that day. The transmission was fixed with TSB 11-7-10 in Feb 2012 at 127,000+ miles.
Prior to this I had noticed a few differences.
• Since transmission fix both motor and turbo seemed louder
• Engine runs with more turbo boost, (10lbs boost with cruise set on 65 mph)
• MPG seems to have dropped slightly
• Seems to use more DEF, used to burn about a gallon every 1,000 miles
• Just lately, “cleaning exhaust” message showing up more often, four or five times on this trip which ended at about 500 miles.
Turns out that cylinder 8 had no compression, 5, 6, and 7 had very little compression. Tech thought maybe a dropped valve but would that take out a bank? Number 8 had a broken glow plug and a smashed injector. I had planned to take all parts home to investigate but suddenly everything had core charges and I could not have my own parts back. Nothing said about that when price was quoted.
Anyway, anyone had this problem or know what the cause may have been? I haven’t found any reports of like problems and am hoping that someone one here might be able to shed some light on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 PM

WOW Have they already started working on the truck , with that much money involved i would talk to some of the performance shops , Me personally i would build the motor with better aftermarket parts the stuff ford forgot basically bulletproof it ya know thats just my opinion . whats the point of having them put in stock motor if they cant tell you what went wrong with the first motor .
Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Truck is done and I have it back, seems ok but I didn't even get a turn key motor. They used my injectors and other parts from my motor. Cost $14,400, a nice upgrade to the original cost of the King Ranch after 20 months. Did I mention that Ford customer service has not yet given me the courtesty of a call back. Has ford helped any one with this once the warrenty has expired?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Ford quality care has went down the dumps , I can say this they don't care, keep calling until you get a answer . One day Ford and these other automotive company's are going to have a lawsuit on there hands . A Ford dealership tried ripping me off 8 years ago I had a Ford ranger broke transmission a total of three times on the third time being outside of the 36k warranty , service writer called me told me what was wrong which was the same as the other times and said it was going to cost 1200 dollars, so I asked for the breakdown in hours in labor parts got my old receipts from the previous times it broke under warranty, they were trying to charge me an additional 7 hours for something they only charged 2.5 the previous times I call customer service never got a response back then I went to service manager sat down with him he had the estimate and I pulled out my receipts and told him to explain he was speechless , he said he would match the old receipts and he was sorry . When I went to pick up the truck they only charged me 180 dollars . That was Ford country in las Vegas Nevada . So the dealerships get you and customer service doesn't care ,

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

wow that sucks man, no way a motor should get dinked with that mileage. was it stock or tuned? were u on top of maintnence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.