Coolant loss with no leak.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Coolant loss with no leak....

Hey Folks, been awhile since Ive been active here, but I am cross eyed from reading, so i decided to post and and hope. Sold my 02 a few weeks ago and bought a 2011 with 54k on it. 2nd day I smelled coolant. Took to dealer. He pressure tested and no leaks. Radiator crimps are good, water pump is good. ZERO visable leak. He marked degas bottle. I drove 40 ish miles that evening. Next morning, inch low. Carried back, and he calls a few hours later. "I was standing at the front of your truck with hood up and caught it. I actually saw the degas bottle "burp" and then i smelled it". So he starts with pressure testing and makes the bottle repeat the burp. He flags Ford, and starts following their guide. Tested egr "system" and said held without a single inch loss in pressure for 10 mins. After a few more tests, He said the secondary cooling side is eliminated, and Ford is eyeing the primary side which He then said is either the timing cover or cylinder heads. At present time, they have been waiting on a tool and kit due tomorrow to test for exhaust gas residue in coolant bottle. He says if test fails, Ford says start tearing down. I personally am not interested in a truck that has to have the cylinder heads removed at 50k, but I have no choice. I am not even close to knowing what I need to know about this engine as i was my 7.3. Does all this info sound up to par, and is there some other way for the degas bottle to be pressurizing and losing coolant? I had the truck 1 day since i bought it and they have had it the rest. Thanks in advance for any technical info you have.

Last edited by Rob; 06-19-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I know you've mentioned you have no interest if the heads come off, BUT, if that has to happen, make sure they check them over.. make sure they are not warped. Also, their work will be warrantied also, not only by the remaining power train warranty, but by the dealership itself. Hopefully that will give you some reassurance with head removal if that happens.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Good news is that the leak FINALLY showed up after overnight pressurization- its the radiator. Bad news is the selling dealer wants to only pay a portion. Mind you I bought on the 9th and trucks been in since 11th.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

BEFORE

BEFORE !!!!!!!

I would have my radiator replaced, I would have them check the water inlet connection at the turbo. I lost coolant and smelled antifreeze for a year. I added almost a gallon at one point. When cold I noticed antifreeze dripping from the rear of the block, when warm... no leak.

The Ford shop told I needed a radiator and the water inlet fixed at the turbo. I asked them why the radiator. They stated they noticed 'water marks' on the side. I requested they limit their repairs to the turbo inlet. They did, problem solved. Radiator never has shown a drip. Just my .02 cents.

The water inlet is a quick connect type fitting that when warm seals up, and evaporates the coolant that seeps prior to becoming a noticable leak.

Good Luck
Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would be very mad if I bought such a new truck from them and three days later something like this would have happened
Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM

EDIT!!

If they did find a coolant leak at the radiator, I would want to see it, not being cynical but after being told I needed over $2k in repairs for a coolant leak (radiator/turbo water inlet/brakes) I felt that I needed to slow this process down. The dealers are amping up their ads, going after the maintainance market which is fine. Unneccessary repairs are my concern...

And I agree with Six-Stroker, buying a product on good faith, and being asked for more $$$!!! After hardly driving it would cause me to discuss refund and another shopping trip.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Thanks for the replies and the info on the turbo water inlet. After MUCH trial and tribulation today between me and selling dealer, they are overnighting me a check for radiator replacement,labor and diagnostics- $1946.50. I will have no out of pocket on this. THANK YOU LORD!!!!! I am still very interested in this turbo inlet connection. There are absolutely no signs of a leak anywhere on,under etc this engine. Only showed a quarter sized drip after being held at pressure over night. Supposed to pick truck up in a little while, and will look at old radiator then.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM

I was puzzled over a year. Smelled antifreeze, no leak. At 100,000 miles plus noted water on the concrete at the rear of the engine. Oil and water looked good, a bit nervous without a warranty. Local mechanic could not locate the source. Ford shop KNEW right where to look. It is a kwik connect type fitting, it is not a major issue, it will seep, seal then leak. I never worried as temps stayed normal, I put it in engineering test mode to watch a digital read out on the dash (hold down arrow on steering wheel when starting) and never saw a spike in temps. This truck is awesome, pulls, works, gives good economy and looks good doing it. No complaints.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Here is the culprit. Glad its sitting on the shop floor and not in my truck anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.