won't start...... sometimes... dealer clueless.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 6.7 won't start...... sometimes... dealer clueless..

so, my 2012 f350 has 4663 miles on it, i get into it at lunch to get food, i'm at a job site, been there about 2 hours... turn the key, and nothing. she won't crank over at all.. turn the key 15 times... nothing... i get out, try the remote start, it locks the doors and the lights blink, as usual, but no start! i call dealer warranty dept. they are sending a tow truck.... then i get back in and for the hell of it try again... it f'n starts!!! so i go to get food... it gets about 1/4 mile away, and dies while driving!! i throw it nuetral, turn the key about 5-6 times, it starts up again, and then runs fine.... so wtf!... eventually tow truck shows, to the dealer it goes.... so, 2 days later, dealer has played with it plenty, and can't get it to do anything wrong at all. and furthermore, it didn't store any error codes or faults at all!!!! so they have no clue, ford technical has no clue.... so i go to pick it up, they hand me the keys... i hit the remote start, and hahahaha !!! nothing!!! open the door, put the key in, turn it, nothing!!!!! won't start!! at least it did it in front of them now.... it's still there... they're still clueless.... anybody know anything bout this??????

Last edited by jhgearhead; 05-21-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good luck and keep us informed.

I am looking at a F250 6.7 4X4 Crew cab. I'm sure they'll find something strange but it can be frustraiting as hell. Please post your results to help the rest of us.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The 6.7 shouldn't be much different from any other no-crank no-start diag.

Do you hear any relays clicking? starter solenoid? otherwise they will need to look at the service procedures and start pinpoint testing.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

hey all.. sorry it's been almost three weeks... but this whole thing is still going on.... it was at the first dealer for another 6 days after they tried to give it back the first time... they still couldn't get it to screw up for them, so they basically made me take it back... and as we all know, it's gonna screw up again. and it did.. i picked it up on thursday may 24th, and saturday morning, the 26th, it is screwing up again!!! this time, it is bucking, flashing a yellow wrench on the screen, and also flashing a thermometer and saying "engine over temperature" , which, according to the gauge, and the fact that i just started it and it's not even warmed up yet.. is b.s...... so here we go! it's memorial day weekend, saturday, and my brand new truck is broke again!!!.. oh, and did i mention that i was 3 hours away from home, and 1.5 hours from the dealer i bought it from? hahaha awesome!! so i have to take it to the nearest dealer. they were more then helpful and polite, they rented me an f150 from enterprise, so i could at least be able to kinda do business still...(i'm a contractor) so, these guys have it for a week, i go pick it up last saturday, they say it's fixed, they say they replaced a relay in the fuse box and it's fine.... well, at least they replaced something, that's more then the last dealer did... but, i drive it for 1.5 hrs, and guess what? yep, thats right... same old shyt... exactly the same, bucking, flashing the wrench and the thermometer, stalling out... so, monday, i get it to the dealer i actually bought it from, and btw, they were previously unwilling to give me a loner... but now that i show up in person, extremely pissed off that my 60k truck has been in the shop 3 times (this will be the 4th) in 16 days, AND i DO have a lawyer on retainer because i'm not gonna be nice about this anymore...... they actually gave me something to drive off of thier used lot. a '05 6.0 thats lifted, with a tuner and exhaust..... so at least there's that huh? but, it's still there... it's still broke.... they still don't know wtf is wrong... the tech's on the hotloine have no clue!!!!! i'm now going to have to fight ford to get them to buy this pile back!!!!! what a f'n disaster!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds alot more like a bad PCM or harness now. hopefully it stays broke long enough for them to find the problem for you.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplowjr73 View Post
Sounds alot more like a bad PCM or harness now. hopefully it stays broke long enough for them to find the problem for you.
yes, i agree.. and have been telling them that since the beginning... they actually just called and said they are gonna replace the fuse box and a couple relays... the truck has been doing it's thing for them, so at least they are seeing all the problems for themselves...i told them , don't even think about giving me this thing back until u replace whatever u think is wrong with it, and then put at least 200 miles on it to make sure.... i'm tired of driving hours away to get my truck back, only to have to return it a day or 2 later for the same shyt.... at this point, i think i would rather them take it back... give me the 20 grand in equity that i have in the truck, and i'll go pay cash for a 7.3.... i still miss my beloved 99 f250
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgearhead View Post
yes, i agree.. and have been telling them that since the beginning... they actually just called and said they are gonna replace the fuse box and a couple relays... the truck has been doing it's thing for them, so at least they are seeing all the problems for themselves...i told them , don't even think about giving me this thing back until u replace whatever u think is wrong with it, and then put at least 200 miles on it to make sure.... i'm tired of driving hours away to get my truck back, only to have to return it a day or 2 later for the same shyt.... at this point, i think i would rather them take it back... give me the 20 grand in equity that i have in the truck, and i'll go pay cash for a 7.3.... i still miss my beloved 99 f250
You know to be honest, if my 2000 7.3 had didn't have the rust issues it had leading to odd electrical problems. I would have been more than happy to hang on to it another 10 years. Don't get me wrong I love my 6.7 and maybe someday it will be as fast as my 7.3. but its got its quirks and I'm not holding out hope that BTS will make a trans for this truck. I don't think it will ever be as stout or durable as the old 7.3 was in its day. That said my 7.3 was in the same boat as your truck. Turned out to be mostly a rusted under hood fuse box with broken wires to the IDM circuit, that and a bad GEM. after tracking those down for a year and a half I had enough.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplowjr73 View Post
You know to be honest, if my 2000 7.3 had didn't have the rust issues it had leading to odd electrical problems. I would have been more than happy to hang on to it another 10 years. Don't get me wrong I love my 6.7 and maybe someday it will be as fast as my 7.3. but its got its quirks and I'm not holding out hope that BTS will make a trans for this truck. I don't think it will ever be as stout or durable as the old 7.3 was in its day. That said my 7.3 was in the same boat as your truck. Turned out to be mostly a rusted under hood fuse box with broken wires to the IDM circuit, that and a bad GEM. after tracking those down for a year and a half I had enough.
ha! thats interesting... i traded in my '99 because of rust issues too... the top of the cab had cancer at the windshield, due to the lumber rack dripping this salty california coastal water on it for 6 yrs... other then that she was tip top, ran perfect with 164,000 on the stock tranny... and i was never very nice to the truck... to put it bluntly, i beat the hell out of it for 6 yrs, and all it could do was laugh in my face as if to say "is that the best you got?"... damn i want another 7.3
Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

i got the truck back a week ago, i didn't want to say anything here till i was pretty sure, so now i'm saying it.... IT'S FIXED!!!! they replaced the fuse box, and 3 relays that had bad contacts, and it has been fine... hope it stays that way.....
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

ok, god damnit! here we go again. this piece of crap is doing it again, it's at the dealer for the 5th time!!!!!!!!! for the same prob!!!!!!! I WENT AND BOUGHT A 2001 7.3 SO I CAN HAVE A TRUCK THAT WILL ACTUALLY STAY RUNNING!!!!!!! I HATE THIS 62,000 DOLLAR P.O.S!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.