6.7 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 problems

Im new here and I'm very interested in buying a 2012 f350 dually. I've been reading most of all the trouble threads and everything else over the 6.7 for that matter the past few days to gather as much knowledge as possible.
I wanted to write a thread and see how many guys are really having issues. Reading the motor problems thread you tend to get a little worried if they are having as many problems as you read about.

I've read about the:
water in fuel issues
Cracked valves
Turbo failures
Engine ticks/knocks
And complete engine failures

Go over all these problems and summarizing them could help everyone looking to purchase a new truck alot easier or even just help everyone joining the forum.

Glad to be apart of the forum.
Thanks Colton

Sent from iPhone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 AM

I have an 11' 250 cc lwb 4x4 which I purchased July 11' and. Ow has 34000 miles on it with out any trouble. Empty the fuel/water separator every 3rd fill up, change fuel filter every 10k and oil every5k. I tow a 14000# trailer with a proper hitch. I've driven it on a 7 day 4300 mile trip from MD to New Orleans to Dallas Tx and back. I would buy a second one if I had the cash ( one for work one for personal ). I think perhaps some of the issues people have can be related to fuel quality, tuning, and possibly abuse. I know several people in my area with these trucks are used for work and have not had any issues other than maintenance.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to StonemanQA For This Useful Post:
Urf250 (04-07-2014)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiesel View Post
Im new here and I'm very interested in buying a 2012 f350 dually. I've been reading most of all the trouble threads and everything else over the 6.7 for that matter the past few days to gather as much knowledge as possible.
I wanted to write a thread and see how many guys are really having issues. Reading the motor problems thread you tend to get a little worried if they are having as many problems as you read about.

I've read about the:
water in fuel issues
Cracked valves
Turbo failures
Engine ticks/knocks
And complete engine failures

Go over all these problems and summarizing them could help everyone looking to purchase a new truck alot easier or even just help everyone joining the forum.

Glad to be apart of the forum.
Thanks Colton

Sent from iPhone

Please explain the Complete engine failures you've read about. I've had zero issues since owning my 6.7L. Water in fuel is probably due to lack of draining the DFCM. Cracked valves is news to me. Complete turbo failures are primarily from people who have modded their engines with perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions. I have nothing to gain from saying how awsome this Ford built Truck is, I'm just one satisfied dude!
The Following User Says Thank You to "Stroker 8" For This Useful Post:
Urf250 (04-07-2014)
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Read about the one that left the dealer and had 180 miles on it, It put a hole in the block. I don't think it was a failure of the engine, I think it had to be something loose from the start or not done right. It's in the motor problems threads.
Valve cracking I've heard of very few but seems to be in the early trucks or 11s atleast.
Water in the fuel I kind of wish ford did something better to catch this but It happens to all of them. Had a guy that had a whole engine go in his dodge 6.7 bc of bad fuel.
Turbo failure I guess is going to happen from time to time. I know cummins 6.7 goes through a few turbos now and then.
What is yalls opinions on deletes? I know I've heard and as y'all stated turbo failure is know depending how hard you push them. But the other trucks (dodge and Chevy) are benefiting from the deletes with turbo life and everything else for that matter.

Im glad to hear about yalls good Luck so far! I really hope ford got this right they need a break from the bad imagine and bashing. They build a awesome truck no matter what year it was. I'm currently driving a 2001 dodge 24v but been a ford guy my whole life and ready for some comfort. Just didn't want a 6.0 and didnt wanna try and take a chance on making a good 6.4.

Sent from iPhone
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have 2011 6.7 19000 on it and no problems yet, i love it
Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 PM

Well this keeps making me feel more and more confident about them.

Sent from iPhone
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldnt buy anything else.Ford is the only truck out there ,as far as I,m concerned,but I've had 2 turbos fail on my 11 f550.I don't think there are major problems with the engine'just mabe a problem with turbo.My truck is bone stock and cost $130000 rigged up.and is definetly not abused
Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

I have 2012 F-350 Dually with no issues (Knock on wood) It is my daily driver drive about 60miles a day with it. I am at around 6k miles on it had it for 3 months now and only thing I have had to do was refill the dang DEF tank which was simple enough. So yea some might run into a issue here and there but for some it is the best dang truck I have had in awhile so no complaints from me about it. I call it my oversized caddy......
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My F-350 2011 made it 10, 756 miles on the first turbo, replaced by dealer and then the engine failed (horrible rod knock shortly after turbo install). Installed new engine with third turbo, exhaust leaks fuel leaks etc. Luckily they had a nice low mileage Dodge and gave me fair trade in for that. I'm glad to be getting respectable fuel economy again. I forgot what it was like to have a reliable truck. The poor guy that bought my old truck has it back at the dealer for more work, not sure what, just drove by and saw it sitting in the service yard with the cab off again.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:47 PM

have an F250 with 12,799 miles no problems...did a 70 mile trip today and got 19 mpg at 65 mph cruise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.