I need a reality check... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need a reality check...

Ok, I have a 2011 6.7 and have had only one small issue with it that has nothing to do with the motor. I came to this forum as a preventative measure and see what other owners are seeing for issues. I was amazed by a few of the issues currently on the board that deal with motor issues. As I read them, most engines that have had problems i.e. blown motors, turbos, etc. had a range of modifications to them. Some were just chipped and some were completely overhauled. So here is where I need my reality check... It seems that the best way to keep your rig running for a very long time is to change the fluids with motorcraft fluids and don’t change/mod anything... Accept the 800 ft lbs of torque and if you need more power, buy a semi. I know some people would hate to hear this but ford put about $600M into research for this engine. Did your mod company put that much into their research? I use mine to pull a 10k lb camper and it does an amazing job at it. I can set the cruise at 65 MPH and I do 65 up or more importantly down hill. It is a amazing truck if you use it for what it was designed for. Am I off on something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay, I am sure i speak for at least a few others,
I tuned and deleted mine cause i was sick of seeing a check engine light on my dash - problem wasnt a nox sensor but a calibration issue, I had given up after 4months. Turned out it was a cold climate issue.
Myself like others arent comfortable with this DEF/UREA/REGEN system. if 1 single sensor fails the truck wont run, let the diesel breathe and personally i need this truck to be reliable everyday, not to sit in a dealship being troubleshot. I have 80,000km since tuned/deleted on my 2011 without a problem with the engine. Sorry if this may seem like a rant nothing personal , just felt like voicing my opinion.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Understand your concerns. I was skeptical at first as well of the DEF. I have learned to enjoy it and trust it. The argument could be said as well, "If one thing goes wrong with your “fill in the blank” your truck won’t run as well". I live in a cold climate (Not as cold as Canada) as well (Montana) and had some crazy things happening to my truck. Nothing that falls into the reliability column.

I have been in the Maintenance world for a very long time and have learned several things over my time. Preventative Maintenance should be well over 95% of your maintenance. The quality of engineering and manufacture is determines this percentage. Corrective maintenance is much more expensive. Injecting unknown factors into your systems equation normally leads to an increase in your corrective maintenance. If reliability is what you seek, I would not introduce unknown factors into my system. Your list of mods below your post tells me being reliable is not all you are looking in this truck.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My thought exactly !!
This is why I traded my tuned 6.0 for a 6.7...I want plenty of power to tow and reliability of a stock vehicle. I will leave this one stock for sure and the DEF thing is cool....I do not miss the smoke and smell at all.Plus this thing is plenty fast for a 8000 lbs beast !!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 AM

In my opinion if you run a stock or tow tune with the emissions deleted and a free flowing exhaust your going to get a lot more mile out of it then if you left it stock
Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I say if you pay 60+ K for your truck you can do what ever you want to it.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PTP View Post
I say if you pay 60+ K for your truck you can do what ever you want to it.
Agreed. One thing that started annoying me about my dealer is that after I bought my truck I removed the dealer name sticker from it and when I would take it in for servicing they would put another sticker on it which I would again remove. After the third time I went to the manager and asked him how much he pays for a commercial spot on TV because I want the same amount of money if I'm going to be driving around advertising his dealership everywhere I go. He had someone remove the sticker on the spot.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Absolutely! You can do whatever you want with your truck and your money. Agree 100%. Should you do it however, is another story in my opinion.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 AM

I guess no one worry about warranty anymore !!
I just like to keep mine warranty specially for this 60k+ truck !
I've done mods on past vehicles I've owned....but I'm done with all the bull.....too many smog laws to deal with.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I deleted my 6.4 5 years ago, no egr no dpf and guess how many times its had to go to the dealer for service or warranty repair. That would be a big fat ZERO, just saying.

I've seen 6.7's fail both stock and modified so that either tells me the design of some components is flawed or no one that owns one knows how to drive it properly, I'll let you figure out the more ridiculous assumption.

I can tell you the current design of EGR systems on diesels are very flawed as well as the DPF systems ( why do you think DEF came along ), there are other options out there to reduce emissions without impacting the reliability or performance of the motor that also have no negative effect on mileage. How ever the manufactures don't implement these systems because they cost more to produce, even though if they just figured in the warranty repairs for failed emissions components or other failed parts do to poor emissions equipment design they would come out ahead. The current setups are nothing more than band aids, they cause excessive heat to unrelated parts, thermal break down of lubrication, fuel dilution of oil, accelerated wear on the piston rings and valve seals, shortened life of the catalytic converter and DPF if used for towing regularly, no start condition if DEF runs out, DEF range is shorter than advertised, and last but not least very poor mileage. Now some of the mileage loss can be contributed to the switch from LSD that had 500 PPM sulfer content to ULSD which is only 15 PPM, but mostly to the fact that fuel is used to clean the filters during regen and that is fuel not used to move the truck forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.