Antifreeze smell - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Antifreeze smell

Hello everyone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.My truck is a 2011 6.7 F-350 she has 23000 miles on her and I just noticed a smell of antifreeze coming into the windows when she is warm,it seems to happen when I apply the brakes or make a turn. I checked under the hood and under the truck and there is no leakage not even on the driveway. could it be a bad degas bottle cap? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

I cant Believe this hasn't happened to anyone
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I cant Believe this hasn't happened to anyone
I have smelt it too I just dont know where its coming from I guess when it gets worse Ill be able to find it. Maybe it is the cap.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

Just had my truck in for the same issue. The first time it was in they replaced the water hose going to the water pump.... then it started it again. Just picked it up on friday and the mechanic said it was the water pump. He said it was spitting a little coolant out of the hole on the pump but wasnt enough to see or smell all the time. They replaced the water pump. We will see if that was the fix.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 AM

I have always had the scent of anti freeze...the manual states if you replace over a qt a month to contact the dealer. My first year I used a gallon maybe. I have tuned it now and watch real close, I have the smell, no obvious sign of where it might be from. Am watching closely now as warranty is expired, and the truck is augmented tune wise with a lil nip tuck on the emissions.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the reply Big red Stroker
I have come to that conclusion also, after reading some posts of water pump replacements with the job 1 motor. it smells like burnt antifreeze.I will call Monday for an appointment. thanks again for your reply.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post
I have always had the scent of anti freeze...the manual states if you replace over a qt a month to contact the dealer. My first year I used a gallon maybe. I have tuned it now and watch real close, I have the smell, no obvious sign of where it might be from. Am watching closely now as warranty is expired, and the truck is augmented tune wise with a lil nip tuck on the emissions.
The strangest thing is that the antifreeze level is always the same. there is no sign of leakage on the ground under the truck. which makes me beleive its not a big leak. you can only smell it when the windows are open.or when you open the hood.is there a TSB out on this regaurding the water pump?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM

this morning I pulled my truck onto concrete (usually park in grass..) and found antifreeze dripping fron the drivers side rear of the engine, there is a module (attached toi lower part of engine, looks like cooler for???) with a rubber hose that had antifreeze dripping around the hose clamp. Took the kids to school, stopped, left idling now no dripping, heat has evaporated the coolant. Mechanic cannot find anything.

What coolant 'passageways' are at the upper rear/drivers side area of the motor? I can see traces from above, whatever may be leaking apppears to seal when warmed up. Head/Block area is clean... hmmmm... ideas?

(egr is deleted)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
thanks for the reply Big red Stroker
I have come to that conclusion also, after reading some posts of water pump replacements with the job 1 motor. it smells like burnt antifreeze.I will call Monday for an appointment. thanks again for your reply.
the truck is in the dealer today. Just waiting for the to call with there conclusion. Will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.