check coolant additive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check coolant additive

Has anyone seen the message before, I just noticed that my coolant level is low also???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
The Warden

My check coolant came on at about 13,000 miles, I was told to add a quart of motorcraft coolant additive/revitalizer/stabilizer some thing like that. Then reset the comp and no more warnings. Just some more expensive products these trucks require. I'm not complaining, but my 7.3 has 220,000 miles on the clock and has never had a coolant issue
Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The check coolant message will come on every 600 hours. Just a reminder to check the quality of the coolant. It is similar to your oil minder.

There is a test kit that will do 10 test. Which really equals 5 test on your truck since you have two(2) coolant systems. You need to test both systems every time the message comes on. The test kits have a pretty short life expectancy. Share a kit with a friend or just pay the Ford dealer to do the test.

You actually do 3 test. 1) for nitrates 2) for freeze protection 3) for Contaminates. If your coolant fails the contaminat test you need to add the VC-12 coolant restorer. If your coolant fails the nitrates test, You flush and refill.

Don't just add the revitelizer and assume you are safe with out testing.

You need to take the sample for the test from the drain valve on the bottom of the radiators. Do not take the sample from the degas bottle. Getting to the drain valves is pretty tight. So many folks take the sample from the degas bottle, But you won't get a valid sample if you do that.

Test both coolant systems

add the proper amount of VC 12 to each coolant system if needed. The test kit tells how many ounces need to be added to the primary and secondary coolant systems. It's not just dumping in a full bottle.

Previous Powerstroke engines used the VC-8 revitilizer. The 6.7 uses VC-12. Don't use the old stuff. It doesn't work in the 6.7L

Your coolant has a Normal life expectancy of around 105,000 miles and 60,000 miles if severe service. You can add VC-12 TWICE during the coolants life. For example under severe service, you might add the revitilzer at 20,000 and 40,000 and flush and refill the coolant system at 60,000 miles.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

So flush that crap and put in a good ELC
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks guys, gona take it in to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 AM

how do u reset the message? My dealer said to just to top off the coolant and reset it.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 PM

In the command center, Find the line for Coolant and press and hold the OK until it clears.

I skipped my first message, But I checked the coolant the second time it appeared and needed to add the revitilizer.

Don't make a habit of clearing it , instead of getting it checked.
Biggest problem is a lot of the dealers are used to the coolant in the previous generations of Powerstroke and don't realize the 6.7L is a different coolant, different testing procedure, different additive.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:18 AM

The dealer here didn't even know about testing the coolant in my 6.4.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Painted Horse for all of the info. First time PSD owner here and trying to gleen as much info from folks like you who have had them forever.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:30 PM

This isn't something new. We had to check and add the additive to the 7.3L back in 1999 when the SuperDuty first showed up. A variation of it continued with the Ford Premium Gold Coolant that they started to use in 2003 with the 6.0L engines and used with the 6.4L

The Speciality Orange Coolant that came out with the 6.7L is an evolution of coolant to meet the increasing demands for cooling in our engines. There are grades where I see the Engine Oil Temps rise to 242 as I climb grades with this truck. Never seen that high of oil temps in previous generation trucks. We have upgraded our trucks from 235hp 7.3L to the current 400hp 6.7L and with those upgrades are new cooling needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.