What's this noise? - Video - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question What's this noise? - Video

I've heard this noise a few times now with the truck fully warmed up. I've read of (and experienced it a bit) a similiar noise described as a trubo whistle, but the referenced noise is at cold start. This noise is louder and at operating temp. This particular recording was after about 20 miles of highway driving.

The truck has 17k on it and the fuel filters were changed at 10k. I crawled around the top of the engine and it sounds like it is coming from the area between the engine mounted fuel filter and the valley of the engine... Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

Mine did this when my frame mounted filter housing wasn't tight enough. It pulls air and that's what makes the noise. I tightened it up and it quit. You can "feel" the noise if you touch the either fuel filter. It did it again to me the other day. Everything was tight though, I gave it a good quick rev up to 3,000 and it quit. Hasn't done it again.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I could definately feel the vibration in the lines running to the engine mounted fuel filter. I am positive the frame filter is tightened all the way, as I installed it and it did have a distinctive "stop" when it was tight.

The last time mine made the noise I did rev it up just a bit and it went away as well??? I'll try and take it in some time while the noise is present. Frustrating...
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Sounds like a n airplane single prep
Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did anyone ever figure out this noise.Mine does it off and on.Just wondering if it has anything to do with the 2 turbos i'v had replaced with less than 25,000kms.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm at 24k now and have changed the fuel filters again. The noise has not returned for me. I did have small metal filings/shavings in my lower fuel filter though. I took it to Ford and showed them, told them about the video, etc. The dealer was not interested in even viewing the video and Ford told them that as long as the truck drove OK and there were no codes, not to touch or even attempt to diagnose the source of the metal. I'm just hoping it was junk in some fuel that I picked up somewhere. I'll monitor at the next fuel filter change.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like your HPFP is about to give up the ghost.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks! That was my thought too. I took it in to the dealer and Ford instructed them to not touch anything since there were no codes and no driveability issues. I've got about 3k on it since then and no issues.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I work at a ford dealership ive had a couple of these top filters make this noise its the fuel filter itself... Put another one on there the parts place should exchange them without a problem its pretty common.
Hope this helps
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been through two FF changes since this noise & video was made and have not heard it since. Time will tell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.