Ford won't fix my fuel system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Ford won't fix my fuel system

I am learning a very painful and expensive lesson. Short story, I bought some bad fuel at a BP, and now Ford says I owe them $11,000+ to make my truck run. BP says "prove it" that I got it from them and not someone else. The sad thing is, my 6 month old truck is a replacement for a 2010 lemon f-350 that would just shut of for no reason and not restart.

Long story, I noticed the water in fuel light come on on the way home from a fill up at a BP station. I stopped and drained the DFCM into a cup and saw some water. I drained it regularly without the light coming on again, and after a couple of tanks of good fuel, I replaced both fuel filters. Fast forward a couple of months, my check engine light comes on, and I read the code - fuel pressure out of limits - low. I take it to the dealer, they call the next day and tell me it was just because I changed the filters, they cleared the codes all is ok. Well a week later the light is on again. Take it in, a few days later, they tell me I have contamination in my fuel system and that Ford will not pay to fix it. My dealer says they will pay to change a sensor, and the regulator themselves to see if it fixes it since I am a good customer. Well a couple days later, it doesn't run at all, and they say it will be $11,000+ to fix it and it's not covered by the warranty.
A weeks worth of complaining to the customer relations line and I finally get through to a diesel engineer. He tows the company line, and says that it is not their responsibility. He says the DFCM is only for condensation, and that I should have stopped the truck immediately when I saw the light and had it towed in, then I would have ONLY had to pay for the tow and the CLEANING of the fuel system, not replacement of it. I made the argument that ALL diesel has water in it, and that Ford should make a system that can handle it. He said no, that the only way to get water out of fuel was with a scrubber that runs about $20,000 or $30,000. I said how bout making a fuel system that doesn't RUST at the hint of moisture, he said that it is made of machine parts and that is not an option.
So here I sit, paying a huge payment on my giant paper weight, and not having enough money to even think about paying to fix the dumb thing.

Anybody want to help me start a class action lawsuit against ford? I don't know what else to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow! That's a terrible story bro. How is it not under warranty if it's got under 36k? I'm sorry to hear about your luck. I'd get an attorney. Keep us posted
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry to hear this.

Have heard of this with other manufacturers as well.

Advise to all.....

Keep every receipt you receive during a fill-up.

When not traveling out of town, try to fill up at the same station every time.

Finally, try to find a station that moves a lot of diesel....the chance for water contamination is less likely.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Same kind of thing happened to my parent's TDI Jetta. The HPFP came apart inside causing metal to go through the entire fuel system. VW had to replace every piece of the fuel system, including all pumps (3), lines, injectors and the tank. But they did it all under warranty! Not too sure what caused the high pressure fuel pump to go bad in the first place, the car doesn't have a water separator on it so there's no way to tell if the fuel had water in it. VW didn't even take a fuel sample, they just fixed it.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Check with your insurance, most cover the damages for things like water in the fuel or accidentally putting in the wrong fuel. You will be out your deductible but that's better than 11k.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go to another dealer that will work with you. Ask around locally what dealers are the best for warranty issues. My friend had an '08 lifted big, exhaust mods and ended up with a new motor at no cost/under warranty. The local dealer wouldn't so he went out of town to a dealer that helps the customer out. Where do you live? Maybe guys on here know a good dealer in your area.

Last edited by Bend6.0; 11-11-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Welcome to the Org.
I'd get an attorney, and go after BP, and Ford. I will bet your truck is not the only one
that is having fuel problems, in your town. Good luck and also check with your ins. co like
Zsommer said.
Doug
Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 AM

Always always always save your fuel receipt!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:12 AM

The insurance company is the best route. They have the resources to chase BP and Ford and will if they think that its worth their time.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM

Have you called BP's customer relations? I work for a major oil company, and we take it very seriously when there is a chance that a service station could have distributed contaminated fuel.

However, the key here is the receipt. If you did not keep it, things will be a lot tougher to prove.

Another thought.....did you pay using a credit card? You should be able to pull up the purchase record if you did so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.