More motor issues... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy More motor issues...

I purchased my 2011 6.7 in Albuquerque, NM in February of 11. I loved the truck and milage it was capable of getting if I drove it right. It had no issues until around 8000 miles. The first thing I noticed with it was the trans not going into gear between 2nd and 3rd gear. The rpms would rise until you let off the throttle at which time it would go into 3rd and away you go. While this is not right or good, it would be hard to duplicate for dealer. I let it go and only noticed it 2-3 times.

Fast forward to 9400 miles. Pulling into an appointment and sitting at a stop sign the "cleaning exhaust" message appeared. I thought to myself what the heck, I'm early I'll just drive it up the highway a few miles to let it do its thing. (It seems to be cleaning more frequently than it had been.) So I got it up to about 45 mph and backed out of it so I could cruise for a few miles giving it enough time to complete cleaning. As it shifted into 6th it began running rough, almost missing and choking and coughing and sputtering. I tried to get it to shift back down but it was very delayed. I limped it carefully back to appointment and stressed about it for the next hour as I was in a meeting. Afterward I took it straight to the dealer. The Service Manager put his laptop on it to check for any codes. Nothing. Next he asked if he could check to see if any updates were available for my VIN#. Sure enough there were and he installed them. We agreed that I would see if this cleared up the problem.
Within the week it continued to run this way in 6th gear only during a cleaning exhaust cycle. I could not get it to do it any other time. Then about a week and a half after initial dealer visit the "Cleaning exhaust" message stayed on in the display. I drove it immediatly to the dealer and was able to duplicate the rough missing for the service manager. I was shocked I was able to get it to do it for them.
We tried running around with his laptop hooked to it however by this time the "Cleaning exhaust " message cleared and it would not do this for his computer to get a reading. The Service Manager proceded to call Ford engineers to find out what it could be. They wanted a Vehicle Data Recorder box installed in the truck. It came with a button I was to push each time it acted up. I was told the box would record a minute before and a minute after the button was pushed. We expected I would have 4 solid readings within a few days and he would then be able to send the data to Ford. I left at around 5:30pm and returned with 4 good readings at about 5:45pm the same day.
He kept the box and I went home hoping to hear something the next day.

We did not make it that long. My wife took the truck the next day and at any speed over 45mph felt as if it would die and strand her. She called me and I met her at the dealer. This time we left it there. That was on Wednesday 8/24/11. It has been there 8 days as of today. The Service Manager says Ford sent him another "Black Box" to install and get readings and he should have that back to Dearborn MI within 24 hours. Also says a lot of engineering eyes at Ford are looking at this one.

As far as the dealer, They have been great. The service manager has bent over backwards to help and keep me informed. They also arranged a rental. Its not a Powerstroke, but they did give me a 2012 Tahoe with 14 miles to use while we wait on this to be resolved.

All I really want is to have my truck back running like it did when I bought it. I was a Chevy guy before and never had any trouble with them however I respect the fact that Ford was able to find a way to survive the resession without any of our tax dollars bailing them out.

Last edited by NMFord; 09-01-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: mis spelling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Wow, that sucks man. Good luck with the issue and keep us informed on what the dealership says/does. Sounds like they're doing their best to take care of you until they determine the problem.

Wish it was on a better note, but welcome to the ORG. You'll find a lot of good info here.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you Super Diesel. I have been reading this forum a lot even proir to purchasing the truck. The forum was part of the reason I decided to purchase a Ford.

I will be sure to keep this updated. I am Planning a move in about four weeks and am moving 1300 miles. Sure hope all is resolved before then because I dont know how I am giong to move my Camper without the truck!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good luck with this.

My money is on a bad sensor somewhere....just need to locate it!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
we've got one that none of us can re-produce. The sr master drove it to and from work for a week, then the srv mgr, now its my turn to drive it. btw ford field service engineers are for the most part completely worthless. I know guys who arent even ford certified that know more than some of the dinks they send us...
Old 09-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbrowder View Post
Good luck with this.

My money is on a bad sensor somewhere....just need to locate it!
the def sending units have been dying causing some strange things to occur... starting to find that people are trying to save a buck and buy cheap universal DEF...

Wont be long before ford requests a DEF sample so all you guys with 6.7s stick with ford, there is a difference in the compound from brand to brand... and it does matter! or its your warranty.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
the def sending units have been dying causing some strange things to occur... starting to find that people are trying to save a buck and buy cheap universal DEF...

Wont be long before ford requests a DEF sample so all you guys with 6.7s stick with ford, there is a difference in the compound from brand to brand... and it does matter! or its your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt on 01-27-2010
The funny part is that Ford/Volvo/Mack/Daimler Trucks/Hino etc. are all getting their DEF from Terra Environmental Technologies Inc. but I am sure someone is going to come on here telling people that the Motorcraft stuff is "better"...
Looks like I called this over a year ago.

Care to explain how the API certified Ford branded TerraCair DEF is "better" or "different" than the API certified TerraCair DEF or any other API certified DEF (Peak's BlueDEF for example)?

http://www.tet-terra.com/downloads/T...-Agreement.pdf
Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post

You do realize that DEF consist of only two components.....32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionized water, right? And to meet Federal certification as an SCR, there is no variation that can be introduced.

I am sure your are a great diesel mechanic....but a chemist, not so much.

Personally, I wish Ford would mandate the use of only their product to meet warranty requirements. This way, I could get it free.....
Old 09-04-2011, 05:01 AM

Hey man sorry to hear about the problems. I had the same transmission issue , however it was fixed with an updated tune from the dealership. No other issues with the truck and mine was built in 11/10. Hope it works out, keep us posted.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quick update: Day 15 in the shop

I was in to the dealer yesterday. They have the truck sitting in the entry shop all by its self to keep it clean and make sure it receives no door dings. Great treatment.

As far as the problem, Ford engineers have given them no information on what is causing the miss. They have yet to turn a wrench or replace anything. Its good they are not just guessing and hoping to find a cure.

I was also told that there are two other trucks in this area with the same issue. They are still driving their trucks because the dealer/Ford already have a gunea pig in the shop and dont need any more.

Still driving the new rental Tahoe. If that thing had more power, I might consider trading for it.

I am thinking I can give it a week or so more but will have to get them to start talking about what they plan to do when we move 1300 miles away. I have got to tow the 8000# camper with me and I'm pretty sure the Tahoe is not up to that task.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.