Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

More motor issues...

15K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  TrickTruck 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased my 2011 6.7 in Albuquerque, NM in February of 11. I loved the truck and milage it was capable of getting if I drove it right. It had no issues until around 8000 miles. The first thing I noticed with it was the trans not going into gear between 2nd and 3rd gear. The rpms would rise until you let off the throttle at which time it would go into 3rd and away you go. While this is not right or good, it would be hard to duplicate for dealer. I let it go and only noticed it 2-3 times.

Fast forward to 9400 miles. Pulling into an appointment and sitting at a stop sign the "cleaning exhaust" message appeared. I thought to myself what the heck, I'm early I'll just drive it up the highway a few miles to let it do its thing. (It seems to be cleaning more frequently than it had been.) So I got it up to about 45 mph and backed out of it so I could cruise for a few miles giving it enough time to complete cleaning. As it shifted into 6th it began running rough, almost missing and choking and coughing and sputtering. I tried to get it to shift back down but it was very delayed. I limped it carefully back to appointment and stressed about it for the next hour as I was in a meeting. Afterward I took it straight to the dealer. The Service Manager put his laptop on it to check for any codes. Nothing. Next he asked if he could check to see if any updates were available for my VIN#. Sure enough there were and he installed them. We agreed that I would see if this cleared up the problem.
Within the week it continued to run this way in 6th gear only during a cleaning exhaust cycle. I could not get it to do it any other time. Then about a week and a half after initial dealer visit the "Cleaning exhaust" message stayed on in the display. I drove it immediatly to the dealer and was able to duplicate the rough missing for the service manager. I was shocked I was able to get it to do it for them.
We tried running around with his laptop hooked to it however by this time the "Cleaning exhaust " message cleared and it would not do this for his computer to get a reading. The Service Manager proceded to call Ford engineers to find out what it could be. They wanted a Vehicle Data Recorder box installed in the truck. It came with a button I was to push each time it acted up. I was told the box would record a minute before and a minute after the button was pushed. We expected I would have 4 solid readings within a few days and he would then be able to send the data to Ford. I left at around 5:30pm and returned with 4 good readings at about 5:45pm the same day.
He kept the box and I went home hoping to hear something the next day.

We did not make it that long. My wife took the truck the next day and at any speed over 45mph felt as if it would die and strand her. She called me and I met her at the dealer. This time we left it there. That was on Wednesday 8/24/11. It has been there 8 days as of today. The Service Manager says Ford sent him another "Black Box" to install and get readings and he should have that back to Dearborn MI within 24 hours. Also says a lot of engineering eyes at Ford are looking at this one.

As far as the dealer, They have been great. The service manager has bent over backwards to help and keep me informed. They also arranged a rental. Its not a Powerstroke, but they did give me a 2012 Tahoe with 14 miles to use while we wait on this to be resolved.

All I really want is to have my truck back running like it did when I bought it. I was a Chevy guy before and never had any trouble with them however I respect the fact that Ford was able to find a way to survive the resession without any of our tax dollars bailing them out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that sucks man. Good luck with the issue and keep us informed on what the dealership says/does. Sounds like they're doing their best to take care of you until they determine the problem.

Wish it was on a better note, but welcome to the ORG. You'll find a lot of good info here.

#3 ·
Thank you Super Diesel. I have been reading this forum a lot even proir to purchasing the truck. The forum was part of the reason I decided to purchase a Ford.

I will be sure to keep this updated. I am Planning a move in about four weeks and am moving 1300 miles. Sure hope all is resolved before then because I dont know how I am giong to move my Camper without the truck!!

#4 ·
Good luck with this.

My money is on a bad sensor somewhere....just need to locate it!

#6 ·
the def sending units have been dying causing some strange things to occur... starting to find that people are trying to save a buck and buy cheap universal DEF...

Wont be long before ford requests a DEF sample so all you guys with 6.7s stick with ford, there is a difference in the compound from brand to brand... and it does matter! or its your warranty.

#5 ·
we've got one that none of us can re-produce. The sr master drove it to and from work for a week, then the srv mgr, now its my turn to drive it. btw ford field service engineers are for the most part completely worthless. I know guys who arent even ford certified that know more than some of the dinks they send us...

#9 ·
Hey man sorry to hear about the problems. I had the same transmission issue , however it was fixed with an updated tune from the dealership. No other issues with the truck and mine was built in 11/10. Hope it works out, keep us posted.

#10 ·
Quick update: Day 15 in the shop

I was in to the dealer yesterday. They have the truck sitting in the entry shop all by its self to keep it clean and make sure it receives no door dings. Great treatment.

As far as the problem, Ford engineers have given them no information on what is causing the miss. They have yet to turn a wrench or replace anything. Its good they are not just guessing and hoping to find a cure.

I was also told that there are two other trucks in this area with the same issue. They are still driving their trucks because the dealer/Ford already have a gunea pig in the shop and dont need any more.

Still driving the new rental Tahoe. If that thing had more power, I might consider trading for it.

I am thinking I can give it a week or so more but will have to get them to start talking about what they plan to do when we move 1300 miles away. I have got to tow the 8000# camper with me and I'm pretty sure the Tahoe is not up to that task.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

#12 ·
Please let us know what you find out, as I have been having a similar issue. I have 29k miles and, at times, it has been doing a real bad shudder during regen for prob last 15k. It takes just the right condition to make it happen and I thought it had been fixed by changing fuel filters, but it wasn't. It got real bad last week with a horse trailer to the point of worrying about the horse's safety.

#13 ·
Quick update:

1 Week till move date, day 27 in the shop.

Today I learned they plan to remove all of the injectors. I am told that each injector has a serial # and that # is entered into the trucks computer. If there is a mismatch the truck could be creating an issue that way. They plan to verify that all injectors serial #'s match that which are supposed to be in there.
I was also told if an injector goes bad that it can not just be replaced..... they have to sync (no pun intended) the new injector with the computer.

Also, in anticipation of my move, I received a call from the regional customer service manager at Ford. He assured me that they will have the truck ready for the trip. (I have never had concerns that it would strand me, just that it was not supposed to run that way.) He has been in contact with the Ford house at the destination end of things and they are fully prepared to take over the job of getting to the root of the issue if the injector # problem does not pan out to be anything.

Going to be busy for the next week or so with the move so I will update in a couple of weeks to let everyone know what happens.

#14 ·
Got the truck back today. No fix yet. All injector numbers matched computer. Ford has claimed to the Service Manager that this problem only occures at this elevation and in this limited region.

Since I am moving from 5312ft to 1800ft, I am glad no repairs have been made. If it does display this problem at the new location, I am ready to put it in the shop until its done.

Three pluses:

1. The dealer detailed the entire truck and it looks as good as new with fresh wax.
2. They fueled and filled the DEF fluid.
3. They took me for a couple of beers and lunch.

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE HERE IN ALBUQUERQUE!!!

I will update once I am moved and let everyone know what happens at new elevation.

Worst part for this Service Manager is he has invested a ton of time in this truck and now I am taking it out of state. He has 3-4 others doing the same thing and still no fix from the Ford engineers.

#16 ·
Well, Guess I had better update.

Got the truck back from the shop with 10,000. Its been about a month and I have put about 3500 miles on it with the move and running around.

The truck has never acted up again. I know Ford was telling my dealer that the issue was only showing up in the Albuquerque region and I am beginning to think they were right. I wish I had better answers as does my dealer in NM.

All I can say is the experience was as good as it could have been due to the courtesy shown by the dealer. I will definitly head south to do business with them again.

This is a great forum and thanks for all the replies...

#17 ·
Good to hear that it's done messing with you. I wonder if my truck would act up going through Albuquerque. I'm curious to hear what Ford did for the other customers.

#18 ·
95% of dealers could give 2 ****s about you. Then there is the lonely 5% that really care.

#19 ·
I will check with the dealer from time to time and see if Ford ever produces a fix. The Service manager is a little worried he might have pissed off some of the Ford tech's over this one. His guys in the shop have been getting less help from Ford tech's after he raised a big stink about this issue.

It was definitly nice to have the dealer on my side. Not really what I expected when I went in there.

#20 ·
Hey was it b Turner, or Rich? I have a place in ABQ, and waiting to get new 2012 in a few weeks. I have history with Turner, got my 07 from them. Great truck, too bad it was stolen....

#23 ·
I've had the same issue however only when the truck and temps are cold. I back off the throttle and then it shifts. As far as the limping goes, I haven't seen that. Simply a delayed shift (almost as if it's in neutral) and the RPMs increase. I haven't taken the issue up with the dealer yet.

#24 ·
Bummer you had the problem but glad to see your dealer took care of you. Dealer praise like this goes a long way in my book and I'm sure others as well. If I ever found a dealer that treated me like you described I'd make sure myself and everyone I knew went out of their way to give them business. How long has it been since the last problem? Are you satisfied that it was just an altitude thing and that you won't have any more problems?

#25 ·
Brian,

Absolutely no more issues of this type. It runs beautifully here. I have only one small issue at this time. I have the 20" wheel option, rotated about 500 miles ago. Had a bad vibration afterward. Returned to tire store and had them check it. They rebalanced and still have vibration though not as bad. They think tire/wheel combo is just so heavy their machine is having a hard time getting true balance. I am probably going to rotate back and see of that helps. If not, might just try a different store. Again my luck with service is great. They did not charge me for rotating or balance and I still have stock tires. That shocked me. They just want business when time comes to replace tires. Truck is sitting at about 16,000mi now.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free

#28 ·
Great to hear that at least one dealer out there gives a crap. Clearly you aren't talking about Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC. They are worthless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.