6.7 Nightmare - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Nightmare

Have an F-350 Super Duty Lariat. At 40k miles it died on the side of the interstate. Towed to Mid-Tenn Ford Trucks in Nashville. As of this morning has been there 40 days and still isn't running. Ford advised that it dropped a valve in #3 causing catastrophic engine damage. Ford wanted the engine for research and sent the dealer a new one to install. When re-installing they suddenly became aware that they could not re-use the heat shield on the turbo. They also became aware that these heat shields were on indefinite back order. At this point (after about 3 weeks) I contacted Alan Mulally's office (CEO of Ford). Never heard back from him - he had the VP of sales and service in the US contact me who advised that his "team" would research and get back to me the same day. After I advised him the next day that I had not heard from anyone, I never heard from him again. Eventually heard from a nice lady at Ford who had gotten something going on the heat shield. Still took several more days to get the shield to the dealer and complete the engine install. They have yet to get the new engine to run more than 20 seconds. Ford sent a Field Service Engineer to assist who finally just scratched his head, offered some suggestions and left. Latest news is that they have replaced another glow plug and have ordered an EGR valve. I'm assuming that did not cure the problem since I did not hear from them yesterday. Bottom line - if you have a 6.7 you better hope it never breaks because Ford has absolutely no knowledge base on this engine. You would think that they would have trained their people on it before the first one ever left the assembly line, but that is not the case. 6.7 owners - GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Holy s$$$! Ford should give you a new truck at this point.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you still making payments on it during this time? I would imagine that would start sucking pretty damn fast.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 AM

oh i would send for an invoice for all this time without a truck plus truck payments for 2 months
Old 05-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update...

The EGR valve did not cure the problem (is everyone as shocked as I am???) Now they suspect that there is some other sort of problem with the exhaust system (you know - the same exhaust system that was just fine before the engine failed...) and have no idea what to do or when they might have it repaired. As far as giving me a new truck - they did offer that as long as I was willing to pay $21,000 in usage fees (based on the 40k miles). So, their perspective is that a $55,000 2011 truck with 40k miles is only worth $34,000. Quite a depreciation, or maybe they understand what their product is really worth. They did drop the offer to only paying $10,500 in usage fees. I explained that this would not be practical since I had already declined over $20k in hotshot loads since they've had the truck (while I continue to make the payments). I did make a counter offer - I found a new F-350 that was similarly equipped that is actually about $4,000 less than I paid for mine. They could simply take the defective truck and have my loan switched to the new one (they had already told me this was possible). I would continue to pay the same loan and they could just keep the $4k difference. They declined.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
subscribed...
Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 PM

lemon law it.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
lemon law it.
LEMON LAW TO THE 3RD POWER! THATS ALL I SAY!!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Yep...get a lawyer involved to start the process. Either that will light a serious fire to get your truck fixed, or a new one in your driveway.

Depending on the state you are in, I would imagine 40 days in the shop is plenty enough to start the process.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Yeah, I'd be fighting for a new truck to be in my driveway........

Had a guy I worked with, bought a new Chevy Tahoe, the trans cooler busted and mixed with the coolant. Chevy replaced the rad/cooler, but not the trans. When the trans went, they voided his warentee (tahoe had only 10k miles on it) and said that he had sabatoged the trans, because they found traces of coolant in it. Long story short, after hiring a lawer that was willing to fight with GM...the tahoe sat in his backyard for 2 yrs...no payments being made.....He wound up getting the $$$ he had put down on the tahoe and the cple payments back, and the credit issues wiped away. He said when they finally came and picked it up, it had cobwebs all over it....and a ton of dust and dirt from sitting.

1 side note......this guy had been a GM master tec for 25 yrs, at the same dealership from where he purchased the Tahoe. They all knew him and vise versa....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.