Exhaust clean shudder? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust clean shudder?

Hey folks - 2011 6.7 with 16k miles. Want to see if anyone else has had this issue during regen. Doing highway speed (55-75), dashboard says it is going into exhaust clean mode, about a minute later the truck begins a steady engine shudder for entire regen cycle. Accelerate or deccelerate will stop the issue, but if cruise left on it seems like u-joints will wear soon. It is very noticeable...even the wife (who notices nothing) said "what the heck is going on". So...common sense said it was starving for fuel, so 1. brought it to dealer and had both fuel filters changed. Still doing it, so 2. brought it back and had them look at the issue and they did a computer update. Seemed to be even worse, so 3. brought it back and asked them to keep it until fixed, but got a call in the afternoon and tech told service that all readings were ok...but he never drove it through the regen cycle. Service advisor is saying this is probably normal. I am on my way to talk to them today and I guess take the truck back, but I am certain the issue will not be resolved. Anybody else have this and got a resolve? any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

I have not experienced this, don't let them tell you it's normal. Make them ride or drive with you until it regens and it does it. I hate it when a dealer tells you that they couldn't duplicate a symptom, it's like they're calling you a liar.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 PM

I dont think it should be considered normal either. Got the truck back today and had fuel filters changed again just to ensure I rule a slug of bad fuel out. I did get to speak with the tech and had a positive discussion and gave him a better understanding. He said he has had very few of these trucks in and none which have had this type of issue. He did agree to contact ford and make a inquiry, therefore they will call when any news is learned.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
The Warden

I have a different issue,but I would like to share what I've seen with the techs. It looks to me like if diagnostics can't tell them whats wrong,they can't fix it
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM

Well...not sure if fuel filters did it or not but had exhaust clean on interstate today and it ran perfect. I thought about calling the service advisor, but I will let him see if he comes up with anything. Guess this was isolated incident.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Good to hear. Hopefully it was just a fluke.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin200 View Post
I have a different issue,but I would like to share what I've seen with the techs. It looks to me like if diagnostics can't tell them whats wrong,they can't fix it
So true Twin200!!! I'm having trouble with a similar problem. Before taking the truck in for service, I researched the problem here first so I could hopefully assist the service department in diagnosing / fixing the problem. They hooked up the truck to a laptop and said noting was reading abnormal. They test rode the truck (on flat ground around the dealership) and said they could not duplicate the problem and returned the truck to me. First hill I came upon, the truck began to sputter and loose power. I returned to the dealership, practically kidnapped the service manager, (laptop in tow) and showed him first hand what the problem was. After I duplicated the problem, the almighty laptop still showed nothing abnormal. Service Manager agreed the incident is not normal and has had the truck over 1 week. I call every few days to see what the status is. They report back that they are "collecting data" for Ford Engineers and that every time Ford suggests the fix, it does not work. GRRRRR!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM

I still have the issue and truck now has 32k miles. I got nowhere with service advisors but met with service manager and he knew about this issue and he said that ford is working on a quick fix for this. He said to call him back in a month. This is some hope to making this a perfect truck. I am moving two horses about 300 miles in morning and hope the shudder is not too bad while exhaust cleaning. Will post the fix if it ever happens.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There is a new tsb to address this 11-8-24 I believe
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I got a call from my Ford Service manager today. So far they have tried computer updates, (twice) cleaning the EGR, cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor and nothing has solved the problem. Ford corporate agreed it is time to replace the turbo. They said it MIGHT be finished by Monday. Crossing my fingers this will be the final fix. So far truck has been in service for 16 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.