Engine shut down on me in the middle of a busy road for no reason!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine shut down on me in the middle of a busy road for no reason!?

I was pulling my first big load today with my truck. I have about 3200 miles on her. Pulled the 10,000lb forklift on a trailer just fine...until I tried to give it the beans going up a small hill and the truck pulled but shuttered to the point where my passengers even noticed it. only mods I have are the AFE and the MP-8, which I had turned up at the time. The shuttering felt like it came from the tranny and I felt like I should let off. Again, it was only noticible at more than half throttle. The BIG problem I had today though was later in the day when I was on a busy 4 lane road just about to go up a small hill and the truck (engine) just died. Drove perfectly normal one minute and just plain cut out the next. As I was coasting with no power and no way to get over ot the curb lane my first thought was to look for warning lights or hot temps but the dash showed nothing was wrong. My second thought was that I had run out of DEF and it was going into idle mode but it didn't even idle. It was just plain off. Had electric but no motor. As I came to a stop I checked the DEF fluid level in the menu and it said under half full but that's it. I don't belive this to be the problem. SO anyway, I put it in park, turned the key off, and tried to start it and luckily it fired right up and I got moving again. Was fine after that. I also noticed later that day that I was getting that popping or chuch chuch chuch sound that I have been noticing since I put on the AFE. Still does that randomly oncein a while and I can't make it do it at will. Usually happens just as I let off the throttle or just when I am starting to give it very light throttle. Mostly when letting off lightly though. Any thoughts on any of this? Going to go to dealer with it soon for oil change and to have them check it out. I am mostly concerned about the truck leaving me stranded in the middle of a busy road with a load on ....in the middle of a hill. Was not a fun experience. WTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

what were the weather conditions
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
what were the weather conditions
The temps were in the low 20's. It had snowed a little so the roads were dry in some spots and a little wet in others.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
WHat did the dealer say?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ronning View Post
WHat did the dealer say?
Haven't had the opportunity to take it in yet. Has been fine since so far.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took my AFE off had the same problem, the popping/puff puff noise you are hearing is the waste gate activating. This truck does not like the AFE filter kit and its been noted in other forums. Since I removed my AFE I do not have that problem.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have 2 issues with the 2011 6.7 motor. 4000mi now. just put on afe stage2 and def-back exhaust. hard to believe but i think im getting worse milage now! just hauled a skid loader on trailer(@10k total) and got jist over 9mpg at 55mph--terrible mpg. issue #2..4 times now(3before and once since afe installs) the engine would not accelerate or take off when i hit the throttle. it acts like a cold motor does when you try to accelerate when its too cold. it just dies down. it does not stall out just wont go above an idle.no rime or reason or common thread except its always from a stop and scary cause i've been facing traffic each time... ford says no reports or bulletins...any help or similar experiences thanks..dc.smowball
Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc.snowball View Post
i have 2 issues with the 2011 6.7 motor. 4000mi now. just put on afe stage2 and def-back exhaust. hard to believe but i think im getting worse milage now! just hauled a skid loader on trailer(@10k total) and got jist over 9mpg at 55mph--terrible mpg. issue #2..4 times now(3before and once since afe installs) the engine would not accelerate or take off when i hit the throttle. it acts like a cold motor does when you try to accelerate when its too cold. it just dies down. it does not stall out just wont go above an idle.no rime or reason or common thread except its always from a stop and scary cause i've been facing traffic each time... ford says no reports or bulletins...any help or similar experiences thanks..dc.smowball
DPF back exhaust isn't going to help you in anyway in terms of horsepower or MPG. It seems like majority of people who are having any problems are adding aftermarket parts. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for tuning your truck, but I'd try removing all aftermarket parts and see if you have any problems then.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM

i'd remove your intake and see if that doesn't help. Trial & Error
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

had the idle only conditionbefore and after the afe intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.