How to figure out the code on a Check Engine Light CEL? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy How to figure out the code on a Check Engine Light CEL?

I have a 100% stock 2011 F350 CC with the 6.7L and at 1933 miles my check engine light came on tonight. The truck seems to be running fine. Its not in low power mode. No smoke out the exhaust. No weird smells. Is there a way I can check to see what code its throwing in the computer without taking it into the dealership and being stuck without my truck over Christmas and new years?
I ran a system check and everything is okay. Oil okay, DEF okay, filters okay.

I just traded in my 2008 6.4L in October after having a faulty radiator. Was really hoping my 6.7L would be trouble free.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Okay I checked the code. I have a P164A code that means "O2 Sensor Positive Current Trim Circuit Performance (Bank 1 Sensor 1)". From what I've researched it could be due to my air filter clogged with snow. I'll check in the morning. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Problem wasn't from a clogged air filter. My filter was bone dry.

I just got my truck back from the dealership. I was told they aren't sure what's causing the code and Ford doesn't know either. They said there was another truck in today that had the same problem. They sent us both home with our trucks and said they'd call back after they "investigate further".
Old 01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2011 F450 Lariat and my CIL came on the other day. I have had them clear the code twice and it came back on today on the way home the dealership. I was told the same as you, they don't know what's causing it and Ford will let me know they do find something. Anybody else?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine did this at 500 miles.
took it back to dealership and they said my airfilter was not seated properly.
they seated the filter and reset the computer. this seemed to have fixed the problem.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Guess what? Walking to my truck from work, I remotely started it and the light went out and has not come back on. This kinda worries me because the light should not go out unless the code has been cleared. I called dealership to tell them about it and they are now scratching their heads over it. I asked what code was being triggered and was told that there was no code. the light is just coming on. Anybody here having the same problem??
Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

I took my truck in to to see why the engine light was on... they said it was two sensors an O2 sensor and a knock sensor/? so they replaced both and then before i left the dealership parking lot the light came back on... so they checked again and said it was the knock sensor again... they talked to ford (engineering dept.) and i guess they are trying to remedie the problem... they arent going to replace the sensor anymore until the engineers find a solution to the sensor... so have to wait for ford engineers to come up with a fix for it.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
NOx sensor
Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NOx problems here too. also loud noises and loss of power.

I have a 2011 F350 with 4500 miles on it, bought it in November 2010, have had engine noises and knocking since late December. It has been to the dealership 4 times now and still no help.
It had a engine light come on on April fools day, but it was not a joke. they say that it has to do with NOx sensor but they cannot fix it. this is only a small portion of the issues I have with my truck.
I have intermittent loss of power, very loud engine knock sounds that come and go, it has went into neutral while driving down the road, it has lost connection between the pedal and the motor meaning that while driving my truck it has lost drive-ability the gas pedal did not make the engine respond, i has to stop the vehicle and then it began to work again but then it repeated the same problem again, it would not work until the motor went to full idle and the truck was stopped. I have also had "shudder" problems where the truck will shudder and it seems confused if it should go or stop.. very hard shaking. I have talked with ford engineers and they are thinking some kind of calibration that they are working on will fix it, meanwhile I am stuck with a $42,000 paperweight.. Not happy at alll....

both of my local dealerships are no help, I understand that it is a new platform so they will not be familiar with the engine yet, but when I buy something this expensive I don't expect to be the R&D guinea pig for the manufacturer. I just wanted to buy the most reliable most powerful , quietest diesel around. Instead I got a lemon. again I am not happy at all.

any thoughts? thanks for listening to me whine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.