suspension question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
suspension question

Sorry I don't know where to put this, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone. Ok so I was diving down the road at about 75 mph and I hit a pot hole and holy crap my truck went crazy. My 06 does the same thing, but i figured Ford had that fixed. It is a death wobble that you have to fight until you stop the truck. Anyone else had this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to babs2972
Yes.I have an 05 f350 and this happen to me on the highway. It just about made me crash. I asked ford about it and they said there was a silent recall to "re-torque the front end" so i brought it in. Ever since they "fixed " my truck I have been chewing through passenger side front tires. They said there is nothing they can do, of course, just screw the little guy! now I have to pay for a chamber alignment and tires. Yes it did fix the death wobble.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I work at a Ford dealer in Winkler Manitoba we had the same thing happen to one of our customers with a 2011 f350 fx4 first Ford told us to replace the steering dampner which didnt help then they replaced the shock absorbers and did a wheel alignment to make sure it was good, it also didnt help then we were told to bring it to a body shop to have the frame checked which was fine. Now this last week they sent us a whole new front end from the kentucky assembly plant to get installed which should be done on tuesday dec 28, but as of right now it seems as the engineers dont know what the problem is.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:52 PM

wow this is interesting....... i will say before i lifted my truck it rode better then any truck i ever had but i had one time it scared me when i hit a hole.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is scary! WOW

fsb_90 keep us posted.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstroke View Post
Sorry I don't know where to put this, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone. Ok so I was diving down the road at about 75 mph and I hit a pot hole and holy crap my truck went crazy. My 06 does the same thing, but i figured Ford had that fixed. It is a death wobble that you have to fight until you stop the truck. Anyone else had this happen?
Definitely sounds like death wobble to me.

There will never be a be all end all fix for this as long as the truck has a coil sprung straight axle front end. Older Fords and Broncos have been fighting this issues since the late 60's and the problems jumper over to Jeep and Dodge when they starting using this style front suspension in the late 80's. It is pretty rare in newer stock low mileage vehicles and usually shows up after thingsd start to wear out or things are modified incorrectly. Assuming that the truck isn't lifted in any way and is still running the stock tires I would make sure that the truck has sufficient caster in the alignment. Unfortunately the dealers just throw parts at it until it is fixed.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

this truck at our shop is a completely stock it still even has the factory tires with about 30,000 miles and if everything goes well tomorrow we should know if that fixed the problem
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They got the new front suspension in today and test drove the truck and it was fine, I have not talked to the tech that did the work all I know is it is fixed. The old front end will most likely be sent to the engineers to see if they can find what the problem is.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i saw a dodge do this the other day. very scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.