anybody had this happen? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anybody had this happen?

One of my work trucks is a 2011 F450 C&C. Driver came in yesterday morning and said CEL on, smoking from under the hood, and strange noise coming from the engine. Opened the hood soot built up all over the bottom of the hood & melted the hoses for the windshield washer. The flex coupler for the EGR was blown. Dealer says "never seen that before". Seems like a fire big hazzard to me. Any thoughts on possible cause. Truck only has 12k miles.

Also, this truck seems really low on power. I know it a C&C and only has a
300hp rated engine with a 6.0L type turbo. With a 40mph head wind running empty the truck would only run 75mph with foot on the floor. I have complained to dealer to no avail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have not heard of that happening. And im not sure about the power. I know 40 mph head wind is alot of wind to push. Im guessing it goes faster with no head wind?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 AM

Yes with no head wind it will hit the 82-84 mph governor. This truck has 4.10 or 4.11 gears. Just looking for a little info. I'm not very familiar with the fords as I drive a Dodge. This truck has kinda disapointed me. It runs about 200-250 miles per day, loaded 1 way empty back. I have never seen it get over 7-8mpg. I also have a 2007 F550 with a 6.0L, With very similar loads the guy driving the '07 was having to turn off his cruise to keep from running over me in the hills. When I first got it I was kinda excited that I was supposed to be getting the best that Ford has to offer. My truck with the Cummins is way more potent than this. Maybe for a fair comparison I should go drive a regular pickup model.

Sorry for such a long post.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM

I didnt realize there was a difference in the CC then a regular truck. I had some running around to do today here in corpus and on the island so I tested it against the winds. The winds today are between 20 and 30 mph. I had a chance to drive directly into it and had no problems hitting 80mph and could have easily done more. As far as pulling and mpg I have seen as low as 6.8mpg before but was over weight with about 28 to 30g behind the truck. Usually Im at about 9 or 11mpg with my 40ft g/n within weight limits. I have 3.73 gears with the new tune of 400hp/800tq.

I too came from cummins and I have the opposite feeling then you do. Although my cummins got the job done just fine, my ford pulls better. My dodge was an 08 mega cab dually with 3.73 and smarty with deletes. smarty stayed on tow tune. If you get a chance drive the regular truck with 3.73 gears and see how that compares to your CC. Im curious myself so if you do post up your results.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:51 PM

As soon as I get the chance I will drive a pickup. My complaint with the mileage is that I'm getting 7-8 mpg not towing just with 2-5k on the bed. I'm currently working in MT, when the driver delivered the truck the only thing he hauled was a Honda Gold Wing (900 #'s ???). All highway, cruise set on 75, this truck only got 10mpg. As for right now though I'm going to keep my Dodge. 08 SRW 3500 deleted w/ XRT. In Fords defense my boss just bought a 2011 F350. He says its the best running truck he's ever owned.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Just did a little research. The F450 & F550 CC does indeed have a different turbo and, the engine is rated 300/660. I haven't had this truck on a scale but I'm going to guess it weighs some where between 10-12K empty. Reg cab, 4X4, 14' flat bed. No wonder it seems down on power.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM

I know on the F450 pickups the only gear ratio is 4.30. Yours might be the same.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM

The window sticker for this truck shows 4.10's. That was one of the first thing I thought might be the problem since we have other Super Dutys with 4.88's and for some reason think maybe a couple with 4.44's???. I haven't driven it in a while but the best I can remember it isn't really running very high RPM at 80mph.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Oh. Well it was a thought that maybe they were steeper.

And by the way, Welcome to the Org.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 AM

I thought the F-450's and F-550's came with 4.88's? My father in law just bought an 2005 F-550 Fontaine and it's got 4.88's in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.