Sputtering sound? - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6.7 View Post
It just keeps the truck from over boost. It is called a WASTE GATE. The truck is just doing its job. I dont find this being a problem it does this in cruz control. It is a completly different engine to the rest.
Wrong. A wastegate should NOT make noise, or make the engine power surge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stroke67 View Post
thats what i was thinking when i first heard it. ford or dealers should tell people that the new motors make these noises so nobody panics when they hear it. i have a buddy that has a semi with a cummins in it and he said it does the same thing when building boost before the motor is ready to handle it. hopefully this will mean no more stretched head studs like on the 6.0
Ford dealers don't tell people about these noises because they aren't supposed to make noises like that.

Your buddy's semi that makes a noise when building boost before the motor is ready to handle it is gonna destroy his turbo. That is turbo surge. Look that up and tell me if you think its a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DieselJoE26
I do know that FORD is investigating the turbo noise, I am a ford Diesel tech. I read something on the FORD website a couple days ago, and it said they were still investigating it.
I my self havent had a truck come in with that concern, but i do know that the 6.7 turbos do have a VGT valve on them. Sounds like maybe a VGT valve is sticking.. But its not the waste gate, i know that for sure. If im correct it probably sounds like the 6.0 turbo flutter noise, right?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah def not the WASTE GATE there big guy. thanks for the adament and somewhat nasty response though. I wish you were right.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless1 View Post
Yeah def not the WASTE GATE there big guy. thanks for the adament and somewhat nasty response though. I wish you were right.
Who was that directed at?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So If Im going up hill pulling a trialer staying at the same speed I notice the boost rise and then drop in sperts but maintain the same power and speed thats not a waist gate disposing boost I no longer need. Just asking becuase then I need to let frankie at jim burke ford in bakersfield know his a lier.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 6.4 makes the same noise that it sounds like your describing. I really only notice the air sound if the engine is shut off while the turbo is spinning. Sounds like the compressor is pushing air but it is not being allowed to exit through the engine. It could also be the turbine making the noise in the exhaust cavity although I seem to think it is in the intake side for some reason.

Waste gate controls the turbine speed. If the waste gate is bypassing the exhaust or there is a decrease of exhaust this would decrease the turbine speed and drop boost. In the situation being described it seems to be as the engine is slowing down or the load is decreased. It's not the waste gate making the noise but that's not to say that it is not caused by the action or inaction of the waste gate.

I would not consider it a problem. It's just a characteristic.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6.7 View Post
So If Im going up hill pulling a trialer staying at the same speed I notice the boost rise and then drop in sperts but maintain the same power and speed thats not a waist gate disposing boost I no longer need. Just asking becuase then I need to let frankie at jim burke ford in bakersfield know his a lier.
How fast are these sperts? If its really rapid then your dealer is full of chit. A wastegate has smooth operation.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Almost a turbo fart sound kinda like when the 6.0 is at the end of a sled pull. You can watch the boost gauge drop little by little then it will stay and it only does it if you stay at a constant speed.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
PMR = JUNK

If it is anything like these videos, it is bad. Compressor surge.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No nothing Like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.