Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2016 DEF problem

29K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  redxjer 
#1 ·
Bought my 2016 F250 in October 2015. Last week, at 3800 miles I had a check engine light come on. A few miles later the display indicated I had a DEF fault. When I got home I plugged my code reader into it and indicated a P207F fault. I took the truck into the local Ford dealer and they told me that my DEF tank was dry. I questioned this because the indicator showed the previous day that it was half full. I also pointed out that the truck only had 3800 miles on it. Apparently running it dry caused an injector in the DEF system to fail. They replaced it and topped off the DEF tank. I won't be relying on the gauge in Anymore. I guess it's best to top your take off on a regular basis. Except for this crazy DEF system, I still love the truck.

#2 ·
make sure that they recalibrated the def level sensor. there is a procedure in ids called def refill activation. after the tank is filled, that procedure should be performed to recalibrate.

#6 ·
bad customer service

I have a 2016 f250 diesel which went through the same problem 6 months ago. I lost the use of my vehicle for 16 days while the dumb techs at Eau Claire Ford, in Eau Claire Wisconsin, tried to fix it. I am still fighting with FOMOCO for the reimbursement of $900 in rental car fees they are refusing to pay for. For a 6 month old, warranty covered repair. Several days ago my dashboard messenger told me my DEF tank was down to it's last 500 miles worth of fluid. I put in a couple of gallons and this morning I got the message that my DEF is almost gone and I will be shut down to 50 mph in 80 miles. Is this a design/engineering flaw? I am not going to stand for the extended loss of use of my truck every 6 months because Ford doesn't know what the H they're doing. BTW the general manager at Eau Claire Ford, Mike Newton, basically told me to get screwed, we aren't paying for ANY of the rental costs incurred. $70,000.00 and THIS is the treatment I get. Shoulda bought a RAM.

#10 ·
I have a 2016 f250 diesel which went through the same problem 6 months ago. I lost the use of my vehicle for 16 days while the dumb techs at Eau Claire Ford, in Eau Claire Wisconsin, tried to fix it. I am still fighting with FOMOCO for the reimbursement of $900 in rental car fees they are refusing to pay for. For a 6 month old, warranty covered repair. Several days ago my dashboard messenger told me my DEF tank was down to it's last 500 miles worth of fluid. I put in a couple of gallons and this morning I got the message that my DEF is almost gone and I will be shut down to 50 mph in 80 miles. Is this a design/engineering flaw? I am not going to stand for the extended loss of use of my truck every 6 months because Ford doesn't know what the H they're doing. BTW the general manager at Eau Claire Ford, Mike Newton, basically told me to get screwed, we aren't paying for ANY of the rental costs incurred. $70,000.00 and THIS is the treatment I get. Shoulda bought a RAM.
How did this turn out, I have been having the same issue on my 2016 with faulty gauge...

#8 ·
I have a 2016 F350 diesel and have had the DEF sensor(s) go 4 times... I've owned the truck for 12 months! Each time it has taken almost a week to get back. This last time it only made it 5 days after i picked it up. I bought a new truck so I had a reliable vehicle for my long travel. My dealership has supplied me with a vehicle to use but that is still a month I have not had my truck.

#9 ·
I own a 2014 6.7L F-250 and the first time I received the "Exhaust Fluid Range 500 Miles" message I was towing my 5th wheel to NE Oklahoma. I stopped and bought one container of DEF, 2 Gal I think, at the next fill-up and put it in. I thought the messages would stop but they did not. When I got home I did some research and found out you have to re-fill your DEF tank completely once you start receiving the Exhaust Fluid Range messages. I then went and bought some more DEF, completely filled the tank, and the messages stopped. I did not realize it on my trip but now I know you have to completely re-fill once the Exhaust Fluid messages start. The information in the 2014 DIESEL Supplement guide could have been a little clearer on this issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.