Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2013 Deleted Major Issue.... FML

27K views 93 replies 16 participants last post by  Colter Hansen 
#1 · (Edited)
Well my worst fear has happened. About 3k miles ago I deleted my 2013.. Full No Limit Fab setup. Innovative tunes, etc etc.

3 days ago I roll into it in 2nd gear on the low Street tune. Wide open throttle until about 70mph. Let out. All temps were up to operating temp. Nothing wrong.. Let out of the throttle, and billowing white smoke out of the exhaust for about 2-300 feet.

I think to myself FML, there goes the engine. Boost never went above 21psi. Pull up to the next stop light truck is running fine, all temps are normal. Get home, check all levels to make sure I didn't lift a head or anything. Everything is good. Truck runs normal. No CEL's

Well the truck is smoking now. at idle, and when the turbo spools at idle. White-ish blue smoke. NOT BLACK. The truck never smoked before. Re loaded the street tune to see if maybe something happened. Same thing.. Every time I accelerate now puffs smoke. white-blue smoke..

White: coolant but no coolant is missing ever
Blue: oil most of the time.. No oil is missing.

Called my buddy who is a master diesel tech at Ford, he is stumped. We've ruled out the turbo going out, injectors sticking, EGR cooler going out (I don't have that on there anymore).

About the only thing that I can think of is the valve guides or seals going out and somehow dripping oil into the combustion chamber. I honestly have no clue though. It doesn't do it all the time.

Today I did another WOT pull a very short one. Same thing billows white smoke for a couple hundred feet. Then smokes at idle. Once again not black smoke.

It doesn't smell like coolant or oil which is even more weird.

I know that Innovative is one of the top tuners as well which further confuses me. Luckily my buddy at Ford said he'll find a way to warranty it if need be. I'm going to have him run a compression test and see if their is a leak.. If not I have no clue what the issue could be..

Anyone have any idea's that could help?

See less See more
#2 ·
white-blue sounds like raw fuel. try loading another tune. as mild as possible. stock would be best, if it'll run for any period of time on the stock tune. did your tech look at mass fuel desired with the problem occuring? probably. if you aren't experiencing a drivability issue, i wouldn't jump the gun on anything being catastrophic just yet. these 6.7's will usually make it painfully obvious when that time is. no codes i suppose? a lot of these tunes can loosen up the parameters to which the pcm recognizes a fault. like i said, returning to stock, if possible, even briefly, would be beneficial

#3 ·
I reloaded another tune, still smokes. My CTS told me high back pressure warnings when I just now got on it for a second what should my rail pressure be?

I'm loggoing 4.1kpsi ish.. Seems low no?

I never had any of these issues until I jumped on it 3 days ago.. It's been deleted for 3k miles or so.. I ran it down to 1/4 tank refilled it and added cetane booster to see if it would help.

I'm really starting to freak out now. I don't know what the **** it could be.

It hasn't seen a tech yet.. I'm trying to log as much as I can right now, but I honestly don't know what parameters to look for and where they should be at.

#4 · (Edited)
oh i thought your friend from ford actually drove it. by back pressure, you mean exhaust back pressure? cuz a biased ebp/inaccurate signal could definitely cause smoke. aside from the smoke, does it actually run/drive any different?

#5 ·
Yea exhaust back pressure what my CTS2 said.. It was at like 44 or something and flashing. So idk. It's smoking at idle really bad. grey/white smoke. Doesn't smell like oil or coolant at all.

I'm trying to find out symptoms of it, but I can't find **** online.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Seems like it's not something obvious making a bunch of noise, just smoke. Jump to PSA and start asking over there. Mike spends more time on that one and those guys push thier trucks pretty hard over there. Some of them swap motors like most men change dirty underwear and they are pretty knowledgeable.

#7 ·
Yea I might do that. This is just really frustrating. I seriously can't afford to have this truck go down for more than 2 days..

#8 ·
what does ebp read with the key on? it should read atmospheric. again, does it drive any different since this started?

#9 ·
I"m not sure. It doesn't seem to drive any different since this started. I drove it 200 miles today and it was just fine, just the smoking.. Seems to be a bit down on power though from what I can feel. :/

It looks like my rail pressure is good

Next thing I can think of is the EBP sensor, or fuel injector open. Or turbo going bad? But I would have thrown a code I would have thought. Bad Diesel is kinda getting ruled out since I ran it down to 1/4 tank and just refill and add cetane booster.

I'll go check the EBP right now and report back. Would the EBP sensor really cause all this smoke etc?

#11 ·
Maybe I blew a headgasket? But again my coolant level has never changed. Nor does the exhaust smell like coolant.

But again I don't think I've heard of very many 6.7's blowing head gaskets. Hell my boost doesn't even hit 23psi lol

#12 ·
it's probably raw fuel, not coolant or oil. ebp should definitely read at 1500rpm.
can you view ebp voltage?
these 6.7's have an issue with the ebp tube nut coming loose as well. you can see it from under the vehicle if you look straight up at the cowl from right under the downpipe. who knows, maybe the hard pass blew it off. that could easily cause raw fuel out the tail. have a look.

#14 ·
you should also be hitting much more than 23psi boost. this isn't a 7.3l :smile2:. another indicator that ebp may be reading incorrect. just going off what little has been described tho

I don't think that the CTS2 can read voltage. I've just been reading and reading and reading. Looks like they can get clogged to, and like you said get knocked off which is weird. That and the map sensor could get dirty. I found the booklet online that pretty much breaks down the engine. So tomorrow I will be doing work to get this figured out I hope.

I'm running a soft Innovative tune. I don't need a lot of boost, and this was supposed to help make my truck last longer than with the EGR/DPF/CCRV but looks like I might have caused more issues.

The truck is driven short distances every day.. Less than 3 miles since it's my wifey's daily. I'm thinking this didn't help at all with build up on these sensors if that is in fact the case.

#13 ·
you should also be hitting much more than 23psi boost. this isn't a 7.3l :smile2:. another indicator that ebp may be reading incorrect. just going off what little has been described tho

#15 ·
Tell me what more you would like to know about the truck so you have all the information that you need to better help me. I know everything about the truck in terms of mods. I can only datalog so much information at one time though.

#16 ·
yea if you're not reading ebp, as you've stated, i'd go have a look at that tube to see if it's still in tact. the wiring as well. it's a little buried in behind the upper intake manifold, passenger side. under the cowl. you can see it and get on it from underneath though. can get at it from up top too. but under is easier IMO.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm going to check the EBP today as well as the map and try to clean both to see what happens.

Talking with my buddy who is the Ford Diesel tech he said if the injector was stuck open it would throw a code, not to mention it would running really rough due to overfueling a cylinder.

#21 ·
Also this morning started the truck. It kicked the turbo on to warm it up. Back pressure is about 3 at idle and 12 at 1500rpm.. That seems much more normal.. It shouldn't be reading 0

Cleaned the MAP as that was easy. Just need confirmation that that is the exhaust back pressure sensor with pipe

#22 ·
Ok..

99% confident its the exhaust back pressure sensor

Started the truck up again reads 5.. gas to 1500rpm reads 15 with about 8psi on the turbo.. You can hear the turbo spooling, 5sec later you hear the whoosh of the bypass releasing air, all still at 1500 rpms then the ebp reads 0 blue/white smoke pouring out of the exhaust.

Let off the gas

go and hit the sensor and tube.. go back to the cab eb reads normal again. repeat the steps 3 times and it does the same thing.. When the sensor is reading correctly there is no smoke at 1500 rpm as the afr is normal I think. once that sensor gets ****ed it runs rich..

I can't reach my arms into the engine bay to clean it so it's going to ford tomorrow.

#24 ·
you can get at it from underneath if you're somewhat lanky. otherwise, to get at anything in behind there the upper intake must come off. and yes, sorry. you were correct. that is the ebp tube and sensor

Reactions: scott-116
#25 ·
Yea I'm 6'4" and 260lbs.. I can't even get my arm back there lol. I tried from underneath and couldn't get my forearm up there. I told my buddy at Ford what it was and he rode with me in it.. He has a deleted 2015. He said that it's somewhat common in the deleted trucks. I'm really glad that my dealer is mod friendly..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.