Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Motor Locked Up

17K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ZIKA 
#1 ·
I am normally on the 6.0 side of things on here but we run a large amount of 6.7's in our fleet and just lost another motor from what it sounds like. We lost numerous early 2011's with dropped valves but I thought that the valve issue was fixed due to a new vendor.

The most recent one is a 2013 with 15k on it. The driver said that it dropped oil pressure, started to knock, and seized up almost instantly with little to no warning.

What have you guys been seeing in failures as far as the newer ones go?

Thanks.

#2 ·
1 ton? I was reading online the dropped valve issues seemed to be more common on the 450/550s. Something about them using different exh valve materials in those models for some reason.

#3 ·
All of our early failures were cab and chassis trucks but this one is a pickup.

#4 ·
we had a 12 model spin two main bearings while in the Ford Dealership getting transmission work done. Truck has been perfectly maintained by Ford dealerships and had about 30K on it.
Not sure if they ever determined the root cause, but the truck had lost a turbo about 2 weeks before.
Supposedly there is an oil passage in the lower end that has a core plug in it that, if it leaks or comes out, will cause low engine oil pressure. First symptoms are a failed turbo.
We have suspected that this is the cause of the spun main bearings, but do not know for sure.

#5 ·
Just did the same exact thing, truck came in for low power. Changed the turbo, and oil, went for a road test, truck started chirping at idle developed a knock. Pulled the lower oil pan full of large bearing material. Found mains spun, and rods damaged from lack of oil pressure.

#7 ·
Talking about making someone nervous... we have roughtly 30 trucks with 6.7's. The 2011's were pretty disasterous because we lost 5 engines due to exhaust valve issues. The 2012's were pretty good sofar with exception to a couple turbo failures. i was hoping that the 2013's were going to be problem free but it doesnt look like that is going to be the case. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.