Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ANOTHER turbo bites the dust

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DirtBikePilot 
#1 ·
My truck sits dead in the driveway. Today I started it up to jump a neighbor's car today and there was the death howl of a toasted turbo. I highly suspected this was coming because I know these turbos are utter garbage. The truck has 56k miles and has been tuned with h&s since 25k. It has done about 2k miles of towing, all since being tuned. It was used for empty highway driving for the vast majority of the truck's life so far. I'm almost always easy on it and it's had a much easier life than many of these trucks since it's mostly just a big car. It's a 2011 built in may of same year. A rebuilt stock garbage turbo will run about $1500 with shipping if I do it myself. I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest dealer is 90 miles, plus there is the question of warranty coverage even if I return it to stock. Hopefully aftermarket solutions hurry up. I don't want to get the one from confederate diesel. It's waaay too much money.

#2 ·
I've got a brand new one for sale in the classifieds section....

#3 ·
I know confederate seems like a lot but 3799 and u get the turbo, piping,headers, and tuning. Rather than waiting for spe or someone to make a stock replacement thats 3000 just for the turbo. Plus if your going to install yourself they may work on the price. I just had them install a 66mm and i love it.

#5 ·
From my conversation with SPE, their kit is going to be 3000 and that includes tuning. Industrial injection is going to be about the same unless I get an EFR turbo. I'm pretty sure the SPE kit will end up on my truck, but with a little smaller turbo because I live at high elevation and occasionally tow very heavy. I'm going to replace my valves at the same time and put on a good fuel/water separator. Then I'll be more comfortable with this truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.