Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

clip that holds fuel injector in

21K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Yotchabaugh 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else that owns a new 6.7 ford motor has had an issue with the clips that hold the fuel injectors in the motor the mechanic tells me there is no one else with this problem my 2011 F250 has 13000 miles on it and keeps blowing the clips off the injectors and warranty work is a joke they have had my pickup for a month and still waiting for a stupid clip because there are 360 on back order but there is no such thing as a problem with them:hehe:

#2 ·
I've not heard of this problem, but your saying the dealer has had your truck for a month they would have to take a clip off a new truck. Or make my truck payment for me. I have sure been reading alot about bad customer service from ford.

#3 ·
We have a 2011 F350 6.7L at work. We use it as a small utility dump truck and to plow some snow with. It has 6000 miles on it, and we've had it for a year.

Yesterday the hold-down for one of the injectors failed and the injector blew out. Some metal lines were bent in the process. It's at the dealership now under warranty.

Is there anything we should do or check so the likelyhood of this is reduced? Do they loosen over time and then break?

#4 ·
I know this is an older thread but any ideas about the injector hold down pieces? We've had one blow the injector out...and there is all kinds of trouble now. The fuel line was bent good, the injector is ruined and the copper washer cannot be found. Ford dealer mechanic says he's not sure where the copper washer went as the injector didn't come out fully to where the washer would have fell off. The theory is the injector came out enough for the washer to come off the tip, and somehow there is an opening where it can get inside the cylinder head valve train. Who knows?

They said there is no "known issues" with this...yet its funny they have an "improved part" to prevent this from happening.

We have 7 of these 6.7L trucks and are wondering if we should address all 56 injector hold downs.

#7 · (Edited)
Model year and miles on your truck? This must not be common issue seeing that your the first one to reply to this thread in almost three and half years. Ford warranty a joke? Ford, like other vehicle makers, will only replace/repair the broken part(s), not parts that may fail or break in the future.

#8 ·
I understand your pain, but this isn't a common issue that we have seen so far. That being said, Ford warranty will go farther for you than gm or ram. Ever try to get warranty work done from a dodge dealer? You literally have to point a damn gun at the service manager and threaten his children and dog before anything gets covered.

Have you had 3 DIFFERENT injectors blow out?? If so then I can see trying to get them to replace all of them. However, if it is the same one each time... You have other problems.

Reactions: 02_7.three
#10 ·
Actually I've had multiple vehicles from Gm and Ford, no Dodge that was under warranty. GM used to be great but have heard not so much so now. I've owned a Marine/Powersports business, was a RV service manager, and grew up in a family owed car dealership (40) years. I know how this works, should that is!

It does appear that this failure is on the same cylinder as in October, #2. The tech is quite familiar with the problem and actually keeps spare clamps in his tool box as quite often they're not available.

#11 ·
Out of curiosity, are they're any indicators of an issue starting? Visible warning signs etc...? Or u just know when it blows?

#13 ·
There's a slight vibration you can detect when getting on the throttle. You'll think it's tire related (balance) or transmission until you realize it's directly tied to your use of the throttle. When this happens if you nurse it, you may get 10-15 miles out of it if you use light throttle pressure and avoid heavy engine loading. The first time it happened I had just past our Ford garage, realized the problem was engine related, got on and off of the throttle hard a couple of times and that was it. This time I detected it @ the I88/I90 toll booth and nursed it all the way off and into Troy. I was trying to make the hill of Hoosic Ave (Rte 7 East), manually downshifting @ each light trying not to stop and @ the last light head to stop. Under load pulling away it let go with a "POP" as it did the first time. Then it shutters madly and starts pouring fuel all over the place. If you stay off of the throttle and shut it down before it sets the check engine light you can start it back up and jockey it around (dumping fuel of course) if you need to, which I did as I was facing a curb and hitched to our 5th wheel. I managed to back the camper up and get unhooked so the flatbed could load us and the other tow truck could snatch the camper. This happened about 200 yards from the WalMart (next turn in) I was going to stop at and currently are at.

The first time I didn't know this and ended up against a guardrail, with the dually fender in the highway exiting my wife and 70 lb dog out the passenger side windows and over the guardrail and walking a embankment until safe walking was obtainable (in a dead cell phone area). Luckily we got picked up by somebody we knew and got to the Ford garage 10 minutes before they closed.

Yeah, I'm a bit sour on Ford as my 6.4 was certainly no better, leaving us stranded in Virginia once, Florida 3 times, Arkansas once, twice @ home in NH and the numerous times just in the shop for repairs.

#16 ·
Ford bit the bullet and did all the clips. No visible issues before removing them. After removing them all #8 was cracked on the bottom through the mounting hole and all but fell apart. More than likely we wouldn't have made it home through the mountains of Vermont w/o another failure, NO Ford dealer for miles!

#17 ·
This happened to me May 18, this year. My truck was running fine when I parked it, then the next day it was running rough when I started it. I thought it would smooth out, so I headed down my driveway. (500 feet) Turned onto the road and it really lost power. There was what I thought was white smoke coming out from under the hood, (I didn't realize it was a fuel spray then), so I headed back up the driveway. It stalled once and I restarted it. When I got to where I could get another truck to pass by, I parked it and looked under the hood. Really smelled the diesel fuel when I opened the door. There was fuel spray from an injector that had blown out of the engine. I shut down the truck and had it towed in.

As much as the fuel is atomized in the spray from the injector, this was a SERIOUS safety issue that could have resulted in a fire, or worse.

This is not just a defective part to be replaced after it fails. This is an issue more serious than GM's ignition switch problem.

Although the dealer had to remove ALL of these clamps to replace damaged parts, they would only replace the one clamp that failed, then reinstalled the other seven defective clamps back into the engine.

I have spoke with the dealer, and to Ford Customer Relations office twice. Always the same response. "There is nothing Ford intends to do to replace the remaining clamps". This really is like playing roulette regarding when the next clamp will fail. And Ford is OK with that. Where is the concern for customer safety, the desire to build a reliable truck? With the attitude I encountered with Ford, I really don't think they care if someone is injured or worse, as a result of these defective parts.

I have reported this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They told me I was the only one to report this problem to them. If you want Ford to actually fix this issue, and not just replace the clamps one at a time as they break, then everyone needs to report it. Ford has already identified these parts as defective, and have started using a new part with a new part number.

#19 ·
does anyone know what the torque spec is for the injector hold down bolt.

#20 · (Edited)
hey guys!!! i am another victim of this!! same preliminary issues happened before mine happened too!! truck was missing a bit. in 6th gear it would surge. filled the tank and it was better. drove to GFs house fine. drone 80% of the way back to my house fine. cruise set at 65 then BOOOOM!!! loss of engine power. diesel fuel spraying everywhere.
blew the #2 injector out! looks like the head of the bolt broke off.
heres some pics. in the process of tearing the truck down to fix this bull****!!

if you look close in this pic you can see what left of the bolt shaft.

now i have 3 junk fords that are broke down!!

so now im taking the top of the motor apart to better get at that plastic return line that i have to replace that goes to all 8 injectors. also deleting the EGR as well.
i am debating on replacing all 8 clamps and bolts now... possibly having the new ones cryogenically treated too.

now to get the EGR cooler off

#21 ·
I've heard of several of these, not too many. I was told it was from being over torqued or under torque from the factory and from techs who have replaced them.

I haven't had this issue. "Crosses-fingers".

#22 ·
TRUST ME, replace all 8 now. More than likely your truck is in the build date that has issues. They updated the clamps, I believe last August. This is a clamp defect and more than likely you'll find cracked clamps when you remove the others. The cracks are only noticeable from the bottom. BTW, isn't this a warranty issue? They have a TSB on it.

#24 ·
I'm pushing it now with the cost of repairs. Mine is a 2012. Maybe it's in that ****ty build period. Not under warranty.

#25 ·
Got the EGR cooler off. Bolts and clamps are tight.
I have a friend in the CNC business maybe I'll see if I can get him to make some billet steel clamps and I can have them anodized.

So much room and access now that it's gone! I can start removing the fuel return hose now. Still have to find the part number for that.

#26 ·
Disappointed to report that this happened to me last week. The bolt failed holding the fuel injector clamp. It's a 2012 F-350 6.7L with 65k miles. I've owned the truck for about 18 months and have put about 10k miles on it. I use it mostly to tow our 41 ft 5th wheel so do not want this to happen again. This time I was at a light and not towing, thank goodness. The power steering and brakes went out but I was able to get to the roadside safely. Do not want to think about what could have happened if I'd been towing the 16k lb 5th wheel. What have others done to be proactive about this problem and try to mitigate the risk of it happening to the other ones too? I found a place called SPE Diesel which is making a 6.7L Powerstroke Injector Hold Down Kit which I believe includes higher tensile bolts than the original OEM ones. I'm thinking that I should replace the other 7 bolts too. Also leaning towards replacing all 8 of the hold down clamps since I understand those have been improved upon since these engines first debuted.

#28 ·
According to the TSB it's between 12-16 hrs for the job, I believe. Not sure what dealership hourly rate is. I use an independent shop. My truck is still down as I had to wait for parts. Additionally, what I've learned is that the bolt that holds the clamp down is known to be inadequately engineered (hence the failure of mine, as well as others). So I'm not only replacing all hold down clamps but I also found aftermarket bolts that are supposed to be much more robust. Look up spediesel.com and they have a set available. This is what's holding up my repair as they just moved their shop and got behind in filling orders. I did not feel it was smart to put things back together with what I know to be inferior components. Good luck and sorry to hear that you're also in this situation.

#29 ·
I haven’t figured out how to post a video o. This forum but I am pretty certain I have a video of the injector retainer on my #2 cylinder failing. I heard an abnormally loud “ticking” sound on a cold Start that continued through warm up. I have more black smoke than normal coming out the exhaust (no white smoke). The ticking sound led me to open the hood where I found the injector bouncing up and down with every revolution. I am hoping this is all it is and I caught it before any major damage was done.

Any suggestions on the video posting? Does this sound like the source of the problem as described? I am not mechanically minded and I really wish I were.

2011 F-350 6.7. Fully deleted. 150k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.