Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Found oil leak

20K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  2016SD 
#1 ·
Last fall around 7000 miles ago I took my 2014 6.7 powerstroke with 28k miles to the dealer because I noticed a build up of oil on the oil pan and bolts. I also saw some oil on top of my front axle and the oil pan above that. The dealer had my truck for a hand full of days to find a leak. They supposively removed my transmission I would assume to see if the rear main seal was leaking. They identified that the leak was coming from the oil pan gasket located above the front axle and also the gasket for the oil pan located behind the axle. They put the transmission back in, applied new, what appears to be a liquid gasket to both oil pan and replaced my oil, filter, and coolant. This was all covered under warranty. After putting 2k miles on the vehicle the leak appeared to be fixed.

I just recently went under the truck 7k miles later and found the corner of the oil pan and bolts located there had some oil built up. There also may be some oil built up right above the sensor on the filter housing near where the bell housing meats the back of the engine

I am looking for some advice on what I should do and if it could be something other then an oil pan gasket. The dealer was a big inconvenience to me and wasted alot of my time. I rather them not touch my truck unless it is for something big

On another note I have not had to add oil to the engine at all and the level has been good every time I have checked it before the issue and after.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you do your own oil changes or have someone do it for you? Because when you break that oil filter loose oil will gush out and get all over the side of the lower oil pan right in the area you have pictured. You may just be seeing residual oil from your last oil change. Clean up the oil with some brake cleaner and see if it reappears. Your pictures looks like my oil pan did after I did my first oil/filter change.

#3 ·
Could be residual, as mentioned. Clean it with brake clean and monitor.

If it comes back, Probably the oil filter housing seal.
Did they replace that when the upper pan was resealed? Check the invoice for parts.
Also, check to see that all of the bolts/studs retaining it are tight

#5 ·
I see this is a older post, my 16 is doin the same thing had the oil pan gasket and the water pump gasket replaced. I'm still getting oil on the filter not so much on the pan now. Did you ever get this resolved? If so what was the final cause? Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.