Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 6.7 sporadic rattling/ fast ticking sound

35K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  southwestguy 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I know that diagnosing strange noises is a difficult thing to do.

Over the past few months I have noticed that I get an odd intermittent rattling noise. It reminds me of a gas grill ignitor sound (just much faster). I can hear the noise with the radio on and the windows down.

Its not all the time and does it in very quick burst. I can hear it at acceleration and during cruising speeds above 40 mph. The dealer of course says "Diesels make noise"

I drove the truck today and didn't hear any noises.

I feel like I have less power when I am hearing the noise, but it may just be my head.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I have a 2016 6.7 that has a sustained rattle at low rpm in higher gears. It is only present at normal throttle. If you romp on it, it'll go away. Also only happens when the truck is fully warmed up. Dealer also says they don't hear anything/ diesels make noise/ blah blah. An independent tech has said he thinks it's injector related and has been in many trucks that are silent and many that are worse than mine.

I am using Archoil 6200 at every fill-up, rotella T6 at 5k intervals, and Archoil 9100 with oil change. So far nothing has influenced the noise positively or negatively. I bought a bottle of ford cetane booster yesterday and will add it today when I fill up, but I'm not expecting any change. I hear it more faintly when cruising in lower gears with less throttle demand around town. More on the highway. Towing a load definitely seems to make it more prevalent.

This is my second powerstroke, first was a 6.0 so I'm familiar with older generation Diesel injector chatter. To me that is a pleasing noise. This noise from my 6.7 does not sound to me like any injector chatter I have ever heard. It sounds like a straight up rattle, like a heat shield is loose and rattling or there's something in the torque converter/ bell housing that is rattling around in there.

I'm trying to not be so sensitive and just be glad mine hasn't developed any serious problems but as a bit of a perfectionist with my vehicles as it is and also someone who never in a million years ever thought I would spend $60k on a vehicle unless it had the word "Porsche" printed on it, I can't help but feel a bit cheated.

I have been browsing the forums for a while now, reading any thread that seems to remotely deal with this issue and so far haven't come up with much, certainly not a fix, so I'm leaning towards the fact there may not be one but still holding out hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Could be the Pilot injection turning off for a reason or some weird fuel timing for a bit.

I here my 2011 ditch pilot injector or partially do it for a bit and you can hear the diesel for sure.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#4 ·
Cetane booster didn't do anything, as presumed. It might be running a bit better with the cetane vs. the archoil though but will need a few more tanks to confirm.

So that again sounds like it's the nature of the beast and there's nothing to be done.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Is it occurring during regen?

#8 ·
It's happening all the time, under all conditions. More prevalent when fully warm vs. cold, more prevalent on the highway vs. city, more prevalent when towing vs. unloaded. Regen does not factor negatively or positively. Sound remains almost 100% constant through gear shifts although it is more prevalent in higher gears. Anything between 1/4 and maybe 3/4 throttle is the sweet spot for it being noisiest.

#11 ·
My 2012 just started doing this... then tonight, it had some vibration at idle, in park. then a couple minutes later I tried to start it, and it had a relatively loud humm, then, it just wouldn't start. I can't get the sound because it won't start. but I'll be watching here to see what's up, and hopefully my mechanic can come out tomorrow.

#12 ·
I have not been able to get a recording of it. Too much ambient noise. I need to get my hands on some more sophisticated recording gear.

The noise persists, but I have no other symptoms or issues, no loss of power, nothing that is negatively affecting the truck.

#13 ·
This sounds like what I'm going through (43k mi). Got truck to my tech late today. Quick check shows #8 injector issue. Hopefully we'll prove the faulty injector and not something internal tomorrow.

#14 ·
Let us know how it goes. Mine has 6k miles on it so I would be surprised if mine is a faulty injector, but I have already had the def injector go bad and need to be replaced, so I guess anything is possible.

My sound definitely seems like it's injector related though.

#19 ·
My tech found 3 injectors not operating correctly. I decided to get it to the dealer for warranty repair. They should get to it tomorrow. The advisor has heard of the "jackhammer" regens and has done several tsb16-0041-1 procedures. He didn't seam surprised at my issues.

#20 ·
Has yours had any "jackhammer" regens? I've read that's mostly a 2015 issue. Mine is a 2016 and I have not had that particular problem. Thankfully.

Does your noise sounds like a loose and rattling heat shield or something of that nature? What test did your tech perform to determine the injectors were bad?

My tech said that he has heard the noise before, that his wife's 6.7 is worse than mine, that it seems to be normal, that it's the injectors, and that nothing will fix the noise, not even swapping out injectors. I don't personally buy this explanation. It sounds to me like a way of dismissing a problem he doesn't want to deal with, especially since it would be a warranty claim and he wouldn't get paid for anything anyways.

Keep me in the loop with yours. I'm interested to hear how it all pans out.

#22 ·
They are doing the exhaust valve replacement. Could be two weeks. Gave me a new F150 to use. I still think there is an injector issue. We'll see once the head is back together.

#23 ·
Anyone have any updates?

I just got back from a 1600 mile road trip up to Angel Fire, NM. I'm now beginning to think this noise is valve train related. It was -7* most mornings up there and cold starts were horrendously noisy. It sounded like the valves were clattering off the pistons. Once warmed up it still it sounded normal at idle, no noise. But the chattering/ rattling noise was definitely there for the entire 1600 miles driving on the highway. It just sounds horrible to me. Like the engine is rattling apart. No loss of power or other problems as usual. Just the noise that makes me feel like I wasted $53k on a tinker toy.

#24 ·
Won't get mine back till next week. My "noise" progressively got louder. First only heard it when hard accelerating or towing, after about 500mi it was constant and worse. I always had the "typewriter" during regens.
I've owned 6 diesel Superdutys. This is the first one in for engine warranty work. I usually delete around 25K putting around 200k mi on my trucks. This '15 handled the regens so nice and the mileage wasn't so bad, I thought I'd leave the dpf alone. My bad.

Reactions: jvgviper
#28 ·
Get it checked! My dealer put the head back together with the new valves, on the test ride, it spun the #8 rod bearing. Three days later Ford authorized a new long block. I would be without the truck for another month.
Obviously I wanted out of the truck. My dealer was awesome working a deal on a new 2017 giving me top trade in value considering she was in a million pieces.
I can't say if the bearing issue was caused by the exhaust valves, but the #8 cylinder was common.

#32 ·
Haven't updated this in a while as I haven't found any new information and certainly no solutions. I've just been living with the noise.

I dropped my truck off for service recently for unrelated issues and am driving my father in law's 2013 xlt 350. This truck is significantly quieter than mine. I can still hear the same rattle noise as mine, it's just that it's barely audible. You really have to listen for it so it makes it essentially not there and not annoying like mine.

So the question is, if this is a normal noise present in all 6.7s (as it seems to be) why is it louder on some trucks than others? If I could get mine to quiet down to the level of this '13 I'd be perfectly happy.

#33 ·
I found that using full synthetic 5w40 Mobil or chevron oil paired with a motorcraft filter usually make it go away. Fresh oil change it returns until the oil gets broken in or something. But this can vary by oil change.

It would never stop with motorcraft semi synthetic oil, hit or miss with rotella 15w40. Usually went away with the T6 rotella ONLY if paired with a motorcraft filter.

I tend to do an oil change at about 4500 miles because most of my truck usage is idle hours. About to hit 150k on the odometer with almost 8,000 engine hours.

Mine is the worst one I have heard. I’m around mostly diesels with my line of work, about 1/3 of them are the 6.7.

Looking to order an 18 this week. Hope it doesn’t suffer the same fate.

#34 ·
I use T6 and motorcraft filters every 5k miles with arcoil 9100 at every change 6200 at every tank. I have never noticed a difference.

Sometimes when it's cold it'll be nearly silent. Then all of a sudden it's like a switch has been flipped and it starts chattering away like normal. It's really that fast though, no gradual change. I've been thinking of getting the ecm flashed or something, like maybe there's something in the programming that's controlling it and that's why it happens like that. Probably a pipe dream though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.