Which LED Tail to Use on White Platinum? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which color looks best on white truck with the Platinum tailgate?
Keep it red / clear 11 37.93%
Smoked red / clear 5 17.24%
All clear / chrome (has red reflectors) 3 10.34%
Smoked clear / chrome (has red reflectors) 0 0%
Black housing / clear lens (has red reflectors) 1 3.45%
Black housing / smoked (has red reflectors) 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which LED Tail to Use on White Platinum?

So at some point I want to swap tails on my truck, but I have been wondering what would look good. Yesterday I saw a white F350 with clear LED tails (non Platinum) and was wondering what would look the best with the Platinum's silver tailgate cover.

So let me know what you think, post some pics if you have any.

What is the verdict on who makes the best LED tail light? Anzo, Recon, Spyder, or someone else?

I realize some of these color choices are specific to certain brands of tail lights.

I'm kind of leaning towards the smoked lens with chrome housing, or clear / chrome, but I'm not sure how good it will look with the red reflectors. I was thinking the smoke /clear might match the tailgate and tone down the stark contrast of the red reflectors in the housing.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 03-09-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Recon products are garbage. Im looking into spyder for my tail lights, so far only seen positive reviews.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHP View Post
Recon products are garbage. Im looking into spyder for my tail lights, so far only seen positive reviews.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
More importantly for me, they are overpriced for what they are. If they didn't charge an arm and a leg, I would probably be OK with their products, but they are down on my list for that reason.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recon is absolute trash. They are extremely overpriced and straight up fraudulent as a company. I will never buy another product from them again.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

On a side note Dantron my mirror lights from recon whistle on the hwy. Looks like Ill be pulling them out and hard wiring them in to get rid of that stupid huge connector and then siliconing them in. I just hope they dont crap out, like the rest of recons products....
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Recon sucks as a whole but there are very limited choices for lights right now.

Other than the recons, I do not like the any of the tail lights. I looked at the anzo's yesterday and they look like something you would see on a riced out Honda civic (in my personal opinion)

As for headlights, the only options I see if you can't do it yourself, is sending the OEM ones to get painted and have HID's installed, which will still be about the same price as recons. Which if you have problems with the HID's, your SOL until you get them fixed, and many local places I've experienced won't touch em. With the recons, at least you can still have your OEM's as backup in case you have issues.

Like I said, from what I've read is recon's quality and customer service has sucked for many. I have their 3rd brake light and mirror lights. The mirror light connection is crap, but they do work, and my 3rd brake light has been fine (knock on wood)

One thing about tail lights, is my coworkers son in law was just rear ended at a stop sign by a car going 40. He was in a truck stopped at the sign, his truck was dang near folded in half.

The cop ticketed HIM for having tinted tail lights! I think this is absurd for a TON of reasons anyone with common sense can manage (i.e. there was still a stop sign there lol) however other than that, it's still something to think about and would make me think twice about going fully tinted rears as opposed to like a tinted red type rears.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a bunch of recon stuff for over 3.5 years now and everything works well Guess i got lucky
Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have no issue with recon. Always use them and will continue to use them.

What would look good on your truck, a regular set of recon LED tails, and then have the chrome insides painted white to match your truck with clear lenses. I think it looks great. Check out some of Plain N Simple builds on Facebook or Instagram.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWOFF View Post
I have no issue with recon. Always use them and will continue to use them.

What would look good on your truck, a regular set of recon LED tails, and then have the chrome insides painted white to match your truck with clear lenses. I think it looks great. Check out some of Plain N Simple builds on Facebook or Instagram.
Thanks for the idea. Good point. A clear or light smoked light could offer some possibilities for pulling it apart and customizing, as I am planning on doing full disassemble on the front headlights with paint matching and more.

I might actually do this as all the light choices have a few things that I don't care for, and I could instal some extra LED strips to make them really bright.

Another idea was to do an less intense outline LED that stays on, similar to the tail lights on the newer Explorers.

Darn, this was supposed to be a plug and play plan, but I could be led astray to full customization without too much of a fight.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Another vote for Clear then pull them apart and ptm the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
led tail lights, platinum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.