Deer Strike protection - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deer Strike protection

We recently moved to home that's a bit more in the country than our previous house. We see lots of deer on the way home, and an occassional dead hog on the side of the road.

In talking to several freinds, I've learned that every one of them has hit a deer, or had a near miss.

The most likely place for me to encounter a deer is on an FM road with a 50 mph speed limit (that I obey ... mostly).

So, now I'm looking at grill guards, probably a Ranch Hand. I really don't want to put the weight of a full bumper replacement guard on my truck, if I can get by with just the guard.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has hit a deer with the lighter weight guard, and what type of damage they had.

Thanks for sharing your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

First and foremost put deer whistles on the damn thing. Less than 7 dollars so I don't give a sh*t whether some buttwipe says I am wasting my money. Since I put the deer whistles on my last three trucks and this one will get them as soon as I get to Wal-mart or Orscheln's, I have not hit one and the ones that I see standing on the side of the road always raise their heads and most often run back into the fields or timber. And before someone says "Well you most likely don't have much of a deer herd there. We have one of the most heavily deer populated areas in the country here in southeast Iowa. I know the things work. My wife's car has the darned things on it too. They come in either black or chrome and are somewhere around 6.79 dollars before sales tax. Not nearly as much of a hit as the front guard and they will even help keep it from taking a hit. JMHO
"Stroker 8" likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks.

I found this online:

http://deerwhistle.com/index.html

You reminded me my dad used to put these on his car back in the '60's,
Old 03-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here is one at Walmart:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62577051,d.aWc
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Or u could just get an 03 6.0 the whistle from the exhaust works way better than deer whistles !!
Heavy_GD likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaysshortbus For This Useful Post:
fosterelli (03-10-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've had Ranch Hand grill guards on my last two trucks, and while i didn't hit any deer with them, I did take out the back end of a 3/4 ton Chevrolet and only knocked a little of the powder coat off my Ranch Hand. FWIW, I'll be getting a Ranch Hand full replacement on the new truck ASAP.
The Following User Says Thank You to El_Tee For This Useful Post:
CascadeF250 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Depends on gauge of the steel. And how secure the mounting brackets are if they are flimsy that grill guard will do more damage then good. Personally yeah the extra weight sucks but I'd rather know that my truck is a going to be protected and b look good doing it full replacement is the way to go. Oh and some advice if you see a deer in the road don't honk and turn your high beams off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've had full replacement bumpers on nearly every truck I've had. Small decrease in mpg but it's worth it. I haven't noticed extremely accelerated wear on the front end components either.

Brett
Old 03-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just about any of the full-fabrication winch bumpers are a good choice if you want real protection. TJM, ARB, TrailReady, etc to name a few. There are tons of them out there. Anything used by the hardcore 4x4 enthusiasts or pro drivers (towtruck / hot shot service, pilot cars) are usually tough.

Stay away from cosmetic grille guards and bull bars: they do more damage than good in most cases. Most of them are really flimsy (made from tubing that is thin like exhaust piping) and are only there for looks or to hang some lights from.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would throw my vote in for a Ranch Hand Grille Guard. I chose to go that route over a full bumper replacement. I have nailed a few antelope head on with the Ranch Hand with little problems. Just make sure you don't buy a cheap grille guard designed for looks, those offer little protection.

I just asked a similar question on another category and get almost all nods for Ranch Hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.