Recon Mirror Lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recon Mirror Lights

So, first of all, I have read all the crap about recon sucking. Still, there are very few light options out there, so I ordered their smoked 3rd break light and mirror lights. I didn't mind risking these as much since they were relatively cheap.

My 3rd break light is pretty solid and looks great. Connection was good, it's been about 2 months and still good to go.

Last night I installed the mirror lights. Oh my gawwwwwwdddd.. Crappiest connections ever I couldn't push one in all the way or it wouldn't work, or out all the way, so I got it in snug, then used electrical tape. Did the same on the other side. Just a very poor design you can tell.

That being said, if they continue working, I think they look far better than stock, so that's a plus. I saved all my old lights so worse case scenario I just go back.

I've read the horror stories and couldn't help but laugh (and be slightly annoyed) when I installed the mirror lights last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you use the electrical tape in a spot where it would be visible?

I have Recons all the way around my truck (except for the headlights because I didn't feel like taking out a second mortgage to buy them) and the mirror lights were the only ones I had trouble installing but I did get them in eventually without any modifications. So far they all still work. Been over 2 years.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
Did you use the electrical tape in a spot where it would be visible?

I have Recons all the way around my truck (except for the headlights because I didn't feel like taking out a second mortgage to buy them) and the mirror lights were the only ones I had trouble installing but I did get them in eventually without any modifications. So far they all still work. Been over 2 years.
I just used electrical tape where they plug in (at the connectors) To make sure they stay secure, because they just kind of press in, no real locking mechanism or anything.

I think they will probably be fine, I just couldn't help but laugh and get a good understanding of what some people were talking about regarding their lack of quality. I'm a quality manager for a living, so I am a bit nit picky about certain things.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM

I am just going to have the local paint shop 'tint' mine so I don't have to change them out. Close in cost but still stock.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrix View Post
So, first of all, I have read all the crap about recon sucking. Still, there are very few light options out there, so I ordered their smoked 3rd break light and mirror lights. I didn't mind risking these as much since they were relatively cheap.

My 3rd break light is pretty solid and looks great. Connection was good, it's been about 2 months and still good to go.

Last night I installed the mirror lights. Oh my gawwwwwwdddd.. Crappiest connections ever I couldn't push one in all the way or it wouldn't work, or out all the way, so I got it in snug, then used electrical tape. Did the same on the other side. Just a very poor design you can tell.

That being said, if they continue working, I think they look far better than stock, so that's a plus. I saved all my old lights so worse case scenario I just go back.

I've read the horror stories and couldn't help but laugh (and be slightly annoyed) when I installed the mirror lights last night.
Yeah same exact thing happened to me with my second pair of Recon mirror lights. I just kept fiddling with the connectors until they would light up when properly installed. Good news is that they have worked fine ever since.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just got the recon mirror light installed on my truck.

What a piece. It uses stock light socket to connect the mirror lights. There isn't much room to shove all of the wiring and socket behind the light assembly. Also worried about it being exposed to the weather elements since the socket is sitting outside of the light assembly

Also the fitment of the assembly isn't nearly up to par with the stock. There is a slight gap on the end of the mirror on both side. I've tried to push it in without much luck

I think i may take them out and put some electrical tape around the connection point to secure it bit better in the near future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.