cab lights install wiring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cab lights install wiring

I got the oem lights with harness, but I dont think its the right one. It only has the plugs for lights and sat. Nothing for air bags, ect. Question is I'm actually fine with not having to remove an entire harness to install another one, but if I run the power wire down under dash where would I tie it into so that they work with everything including remote start? Could I connect ground under there too somewhere or could I just connect that to sunvisor clip above headliner? Pix would be great with explanation.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would like to know also. have you checked to see if the harness is dead ended up above the headliner?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 PM

Correct, the wiring harness is already there in the headliner, just add lights and plug it in. That's the way it was on my '11 XLT that didn't come with the clearance lights. I added them afterwards. The kit came with a template to drill the holes. Turned out pretty good I thought. Def. cheaper to buy a truck that already has them from the Factory.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 AM

thank you sir. did you drop the headliner when you installed them?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpd307 View Post
thank you sir. did you drop the headliner when you installed them?
I didn't let it drop all the way because the shavings from drilling the holes would have gone all over the place. I only needed enough room to get the lights attached to the harness. Dealer wanted $400.00 to install them!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 AM

yep, crazy. on another note, did your truck have satellite radio. mine doesn't and I ask, because I am curious if the sat radio antenna wiring also dead ended up above the headliner. I am gathering the items to put in factory nav and will probably go with the roof antenna and I could put in cab lights at the same time. the truck doesn't look right without cab lights.... I found the part number for the main sat radio antenna harness.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpd307 View Post
yep, crazy. on another note, did your truck have satellite radio. mine doesn't and I ask, because I am curious if the sat radio antenna wiring also dead ended up above the headliner. I am gathering the items to put in factory nav and will probably go with the roof antenna and I could put in cab lights at the same time. the truck doesn't look right without cab lights.... I found the part number for the main sat radio antenna harness.
There are those will disagree but I'm with you, these trucks don't look right without roof clearance lights!
My '11 didn't have the sat radio wiring but your truck might have it. If ya help with the Nav. give Steve on here a holler (sredmyer) I think is his screen name. He does this all the time and gave me pointer's with mine. Do a search for factory Nav. you should find him that way if nothing else works. He will have all the part #'s.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 AM

yeah, I have read and read on the subject. lots of threads with great info. I was originally just going to use the magnetic puck that goes under the dash. I had to do this when I installed factory nav in the wifes 08 Taurus. but since sat radio and gps now use the same puck and sat radio is built into the nav unit, I was curious to see if ford already had the antenna prewired up the a-pillar. might just have to pull the a-pillar cover off and find out.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Stroker 8" View Post
Correct, the wiring harness is already there in the headliner, just add lights and plug it in. That's the way it was on my '11 XLT that didn't come with the clearance lights. I added them afterwards. The kit came with a template to drill the holes. Turned out pretty good I thought. Def. cheaper to buy a truck that already has them from the Factory.
I'm not really sure how your harness was already up there for cab lights, typically you have to purchase a new harness and replace an existing harness. I got the wrong one so just ran power wire down and ground wire down and spliced it directly into wires where harness was supposed to tie into anyways. Works great just hard to get hands up there to work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

So one of you had 5 plugs in the roof already for the cab lights and the other didnt? Messed up, I guess I better pull my headliner down and take a look inside before I go ordering the harness to install my lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.