Tonneau Cover Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tonneau Cover Help

So I'm in the market for a Tonneau Cover. I really like the Bak Industries covers but I have a question.

Other than their "slider" model, can the flip ones just be opened like "half way" and left like that, or do they have to be all the way covering the bed or propped up?

I tow a 5th wheel a couple times a year. I notice when the flip covers are all the way flipped up, you can't really see out the rear glass which I wouldn't prefer (I know you don't use the rear view when towing a 5th wheel much anyways, just peace of mind)

So is my only option to get the slider?

On the flips, how hard is it to take the cover completely off? Since I only tow a few times a year, it seems like that could be an option as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
Been a while since I installed one, so take this with a little grain of salt. I do believe they can be left in any section, 1, 2, 3 or up against the window. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes to install/remove, depending on the amount of removal you want to do. Removing just the cover is a 5 minute job, removing the rails that it mounts to is maybe another 5-10 minutes tops.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrrcarknocker View Post
Been a while since I installed one, so take this with a little grain of salt. I do believe they can be left in any section, 1, 2, 3 or up against the window. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes to install/remove, depending on the amount of removal you want to do. Removing just the cover is a 5 minute job, removing the rails that it mounts to is maybe another 5-10 minutes tops.
That doesn't sound too bad. Sounds like it's probably not worth spending the extra 300ish to get the sliding one then. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 AM

Rolling tonneaus suck especially if you live in a cold climate with lots of freezing and thawing. I've had enough of not being able to utilize my bed because of a frozen/stuck Roll n Lock. The canister for the Roll n Lock fills up with water and at night, it freezes and wreaks havoc. I simply cannot open the tonneau. Can't even crack it an inch to drop the tailgate! I just bought a Bak Flip F1. It should be delivered sometime this week. I'm very excited to gain full access to my bed during the winter.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
Rolling tonneaus suck especially if you live in a cold climate with lots of freezing and thawing. I've had enough of not being able to utilize my bed because of a frozen/stuck Roll n Lock. The canister for the Roll n Lock fills up with water and at night, it freezes and wreaks havoc. I simply cannot open the tonneau. Can't even crack it an inch to drop the tailgate! I just bought a Bak Flip F1. It should be delivered sometime this week. I'm very excited to gain full access to my bed during the winter.
Thanks for the good post! That's something I haven't considered. I've lived in Texas the last 4 years and Alabama now, but next winter I believe I'll be in Pennsylvania. I think it will be best for me to go with one of the Flipping ones.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM

I have the pace edwards full metal jacket cover. Love it so far, however as the previous poster mentioned we will see how much i like it this winter...
Ive only had it on for the summer.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrix View Post
So I'm in the market for a Tonneau Cover. I really like the Bak Industries covers but I have a question.

Other than their "slider" model, can the flip ones just be opened like "half way" and left like that, or do they have to be all the way covering the bed or propped up?

I tow a 5th wheel a couple times a year. I notice when the flip covers are all the way flipped up, you can't really see out the rear glass which I wouldn't prefer (I know you don't use the rear view when towing a 5th wheel much anyways, just peace of mind)

So is my only option to get the slider?

On the flips, how hard is it to take the cover completely off? Since I only tow a few times a year, it seems like that could be an option as well.
It can be opened half way as you mentioned. I have to do this often when I only need to use the back half of the bed. I have the BakFlip F1, and there are eyelits built on the cover near the cab. This allows you to use a bunjee to secure around the back half thats folded. It prevents the cover from un-folding and slamming shut when driving.

here is a picture I found online

Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 PM

I like the extang solid fold I think is what it's called. Easy to take off when you tow

Brett
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am thinking about getting one also
Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love my Bakflip F1, I have to fold it up to haul my dog's kennel at the rear of the bed and just use a bungee like posted above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.