Color match paint - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Color match paint

Where is everyone getting the paint to do color matching? What brands are everyone using and what paint codes? My truck is blue jeans metallic and sterling grey, I tried using duplicolor's website to find which of their paint matches my truck, but cant seem to find the right paint codes. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I always just take mine to a shop and have them do it. Everything that I paint myself only lasts a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I asked the same question over on the army. Napa !!!!! I went into my local store and they mixed the paint right there. Some napas will put it in spray can but mine didn't. So.. they hooked me up with a spray kit. Glass jar..then air can on top. Works great. Half pint and kit was $35. Crappy pics. I'll get a better one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Color match paint-1384551386954.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Color match paint-1384551656731.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 32
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How does it hold up? Usually I get about a year out of something that is on the front of the truck that is painted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
holds up good. its all in your prep work. the paint is the same as u would spray with a gun. couple of coats with sanding between and then some clear. ill take some pics of my mirror caps tomorrow. im gonna do my grille in the next few weeks so ill have to do a write up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lf83 View Post
I asked the same question over on the army. Napa !!!!! I went into my local store and they mixed the paint right there. Some napas will put it in spray can but mine didn't. So.. they hooked me up with a spray kit. Glass jar..then air can on top. Works great. Half pint and kit was $35. Crappy pics. I'll get a better one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Really?! Thats great! I'm gonna have to talk to my local Napa about it now.

I want to have a few things painted, mainly my outer grill surround, headlights, and bumper. The big items like the bumper and grill I will take to a body shop and have them professionally painted. Its the little items, like the headlights and possibly the mirror caps that I would like to just paint myself. But I needed to find the right paint first!

Has anyone ever used automotivetouchup.com? I recently ran across the site, but have never heard any feedback on them. They have factory colors in touch up containers, rattle cans, and in pint and gallon cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cypress TX
Posts: 937
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just had my bumpers linex to match. They look pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by athyen View Post
Really?! Thats great! I'm gonna have to talk to my local Napa about it now.

I want to have a few things painted, mainly my outer grill surround, headlights, and bumper. The big items like the bumper and grill I will take to a body shop and have them professionally painted. Its the little items, like the headlights and possibly the mirror caps that I would like to just paint myself. But I needed to find the right paint first!

Has anyone ever used automotivetouchup.com? I recently ran across the site, but have never heard any feedback on them. They have factory colors in touch up containers, rattle cans, and in pint and gallon cans.
Shipping killed me. By the way time it arrived I had 3 or 4 things done from paint from napa.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreedPS View Post
I just had my bumpers linex to match. They look pretty good.
I have thought about doing that for durability. I'm worried about paint chipping or being damaged if I paint the bumper. However, I don't know if I'll like the bumpy look of the linex compared to the smooth glossy look of the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lf83 View Post
Shipping killed me. By the way time it arrived I had 3 or 4 things done from paint from napa.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Shipping for sending your parts to be painted? I was planning on taking them to my local dealers body and paint shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors