Best bang for buck headlight upgrade? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Best bang for buck headlight upgrade?

We all know they blow stock, what can be done to make them better for not a **** ton of money? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
u can put hid's in... there bright as hell but annoy the other drivers!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Heat them up, screw in a set of morimotos mini h1 projectors for $120. Add H1: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM for another $150 and you will have light output 2 TIMES that of cheaper projectors(recon or similar eBay ). And you can do it yourself in about 3 -4 hours. Also you can opt to paint the inside while they are apart, to match the body colour or black them out. Your choice
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^Perfect!! Thanks matty21!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:37 PM

No problem. What this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2O2486d...%3D2O2486djbjk. It shows how easy they are , they literally screw on.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is there a video or write up on putting these on a F250? Just curious if there are any other complications when putting them on a truck versus the car in the video.

Also, I understand putting a HID in the lower light, but can you get the same "look" of a HID for the turn signal? Kinda new to the HID's. but figured I would ask. Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM

It's the same for an f250. Heat up the light, pull the outer lens off. Remove the bulb cover(1 screw). Then put the projector throught the hole that your bulb usually sits in and out the nut on the back side. Put the front plastic back on , seal it up and your done.

And yes you can do the exact same thing for the top signal you'll just have to make the hole a bit biggerfor the projector threads to go through. This is easy I use a uni-bit then the same process with the projector and the nut on the back, then it just a matter of getting a H1 LED turn signal bulb like these H1 LED Yellow | eBay. Then a little wiring and a resistor . Or you can use a dummy projector and screw it on over the existing signal bulb
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=44102

There's a tone of videos of theretrofitsource website and on YouTube for reference here's another quick one you will use for the upper signal spot http://m.youtube.com/watchv=DhPCKLsU...%3DDhPCKLsUZ8Y

Here's a pic of what it will look like

Last edited by matty21; 11-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome info! Thanks for the help. I have also seen the HID's with Halos that they use for the turn light/running light. I guess that's a possibility to? What's confusing me I guess is the bulb vs projector lense. If I understand correctly, the projector lense is there to direct the light in a way that doesn't blind everyone and there grandma on the highway. So i would put a regular high output bulb in behind the lense to get my headlight and so forth Hence why you said all I need to do is place a orange LED light in the top and you have your turn signal looking like your main HID below it.

Sorry for the dumb new guy questions. Just trying to figure it all out before I go tearing apart my lights haha
Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know everyone seems to say that the stock lights suck but mine actually seem to be very bright when they are coupled with my fog lights which is how I always have them. I know I wanna do the PTM on them but the actual bulbs and what they put out I'm happy with....
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_de62 View Post
Awesome info! Thanks for the help. I have also seen the HID's with Halos that they use for the turn light/running light. I guess that's a possibility to? What's confusing me I guess is the bulb vs projector lense. If I understand correctly, the projector lense is there to direct the light in a way that doesn't blind everyone and there grandma on the highway. So i would put a regular high output bulb in behind the lense to get my headlight and so forth Hence why you said all I need to do is place a orange LED light in the top and you have your turn signal looking like your main HID below it.

Sorry for the dumb new guy questions. Just trying to figure it all out before I go tearing apart my lights haha

Yes you can get the halos if you want but IMO they are too ricey, you can put them in front of the shroud or behind it which is better looking. Here's a short how too video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1166Dy...%3Dw1166Dy9SQU

Here's a halo infront(ricey/gay)

And behind. Sexier!

Here's how a standard reflector works.

Here's how a projector works. Note the shield blocks the light from projecting up into others eyes. In a bixenon projector there is a solenoid that flips that shield down giving full light output (high beam) for the signal you would just remove the shield entirely (2screws) and have full output for the signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjosh6 View Post
I know everyone seems to say that the stock lights suck but mine actually seem to be very bright when they are coupled with my fog lights which is how I always have them. I know I wanna do the PTM on them but the actual bulbs and what they put out I'm happy with....
Because they do suck. If you've never had HQ projectors and HID setup then your idea of good lighting is putting a brighter bulb in or adding more lights eg. Your fogs, . And you shouldn't drive with your fog lights on all the time, especially the OEM fogs that come on these trucks. They are more for vanity than actual fog or worse yet daily driving. If you had a HQ set of low beam headlights you wouldn't even notice if your fogs were on or off.

The vast majority of “fog lights” we see on vehicles today are useless affectations, secondary light sources that accomplish nothing other than creating dangerous glare for those in oncoming vehicles.

There is a secondary problem when they are used by tall vehicles like SUVs and pickups – the height of the light source. Ironically, this makes them even more useless in fog.

Fog lights were originally intended for use in heavy fog, snow, rain and other situations where visibility is restricted. A proper fog light is designed to have an extremely sharp cutoff at the top to prevent light from reflecting off the water droplets or snow that is causing the problem.

We have all experienced what happens when light reflects off in this manner when you put your high beams on while driving through heavy rain, snow or fog – the resulting reflection is blinding, causing us to switch back to low beams, which have a cutoff at the top to prevent the light going into oncoming vehicles. For this reason, proper fog lights have a sharp cutoff at the top of the light and are designed to be mounted very low on the vehicle and project a wide light under the rain, fog, snow, etc.

The light from a proper fog light will not appear more than 5 to 10 cm off the surface of the road. Once designers started using “fog” lights as jewellery on the front of a vehicle, and drivers decided to use them to show off their purchase, the problem began.

Now we have a raft of vehicles driving around with these useless lights aglow day and night, in bright sunshine, clear, dark nights and making visibility worse in fog or other situations of restricted vision.

Granted, some high-end European vehicles have proper fog lights, but since they are properly designed to restrict their light path to a low level, they are not a problem for oncoming motorists. The rest, the vast majority, serve no purpose other than to display the driver doesn’t know what he or she is doing.

This is compounded when the “fog” lights are used on a tall vehicle. The lights are already too far off the ground to be useful as a fog light and, in most cases, do not have a cutoff of any nature since they are mere jewellery. So, here we have light sources that shine directly into the windshield, rear window or mirrors of other vehicles.

This is probably what you and other are getting for light output with the PnP hid kits. It shows how bad it really is

These are pictures of a proper HQ mini H1 projector. For everyone who says that their PnP HIDs are so great, I guarantee they don't perform 1/5 as good as these.

Give this a read, it shows how crappy some peoples Hid in reflectors are, then compare them to proper hid projectors.the hid fail gallery
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matty21 For This Useful Post:
dnf12908 (12-19-2013), F250Marine (01-02-2014), JINKO6.7 (05-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.